Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Remain lost get over it. Blame Cameron for giving the vote in the 1st place

Until David Cameron starts posting on here, and we can al tell him what a tw@ he was for agreeing to a referendum in the first place, and what a pathetic ,amateur, and shambolic campaign he ran, I suppose I'll have to vent my spleen on here.

I wonder what the Tories would have done, had one of their election campaigns beenn run as abysmally

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Until David Cameron starts posting on here, and we can al tell him what a tw@ he was for agreeing to a referendum in the first place, and what a pathetic ,amateur, and shambolic campaign he ran, I suppose I'll have to vent my spleen on here.

I wonder what the Tories would have done, had one of their election campaigns beenn run as abysmally

I think they did a good job of terrifying many brexiters into voting remain with their emergency budget lies.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

You have a short memory.
Blair and Brown made a manifesto commitment to a referendum because of the nation's dissatisfaction with the Eurocrats. Then they reneged on the commitment and got castigated and thrown out of government. The Tories then made a similar manifesto commitment and, once in power, delivered on that commitment.

D

Deleted member 22389

And there's nothing more that some remainers would like more.

They want it to go tits up so all the Leavers end up feeling guilty for the rest of their life, I'm fed up with the negativity. It is not fair to blame Leavers on the failure of the EU and our governments. If anything this negativity will drive us to recession.
The BBC interviewed the former bank of England Chief

Lord King, who was Bank of England governor for 10 years until 2013, said: "I don't think people should be particularly worried, markets move up, markets move down.

"We don't yet know where they will find their level and the whole aspect of volatility is that there is a trial and error process going on before markets discover what the right level of stock markets and exchange rates actually are.
"What we need is a bit of calm now, there's no reason for any of us to panic."

They also interviewed the managing director of a manufacturing company, he voted Leave and said he is not worried. He sees this as a big opportunity to create new manufacturing jobs in the future.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Nikkei went UP by 2.39% overnight, whilst the Hang Seng fell by only 0.16%, so it was a fairly accurate comment at the time.

Today the FTSE 100 has fallen to where it was 12 days ago and the FTSE 250 to where it was 20 months ago. The DAX and the CAC 40 have been hit harder.
The pound has been hit hard against the dollar but is only down to its 2012 level against the Euro.

We'll have to agree to disagree: where I work, in asset management in London, Nikkei going up 2%, GBP hitting a 31 year low, 3 major stocks being suspended and FTSE 250 down 7% is nowhere near "stable" trading - not quite sure how you think it is. How volatile would the market have to be for you to classify it as not being stable?

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Remain lost get over it. Blame Cameron for giving the vote in the 1st place

Quality stuff. I blame Cameron for a lot more than just the referendum. Not refuting anything I said though I see?

No worries, I'll just "get over it". If only I was foreign I could go and pick up a bargain sports car to make myself feel better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some of the leave voters on here refusal to accept the facts that voting for brexit has seriously thrown things into turmoil is kinda freaking me out. Literally the whole world is shitting the bed and *most* of the leave voters are acting like nothing is wrong. What's it going to take? The PM resigned, Osborne has said shit is rough, the pounds tanked, the markets tanked, the politicians have near enough come out straight and said there is no plan (yet) and this goes on. But there's leave voters on here quoting made up nonsense about the pound and fluff about how our Aston Martins are now more of a bargain. Brill news! It's truly bewildering.

If you come out and say yeah, it's rough at the moment to say the least, but I believe in my vote and I think it's worth this trouble, then fair play, but it's like you're blocking your eyes and ears. Unbelievable. I wondered how people can believe farage and his BS. Question answered really.

attachment.php

It is actually very frightening the blasè attitude some Leave voters have to the repercussions, especially when you hear some of the reasons that people voted leave, ie just a protest vote etc and that combined with the fact seemingly a lot of the perceived promises made by the Leave campaign, ie spending £350m on the NHS, stopping the mass free movement, are unravelling.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think they did a good job of terrifying many brexiters into voting remain with their emergency budget lies.

And i think they angered a lot more undecided by the ridiculous threats they made, some f whom changed

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Drift only increases the chances that the enemies of democracy will try and prevent us from reclaiming our freedom

Now that's a real drama Queen!

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
And the people who voted Leave won,you bitter and twisted loser.It's your type of elitism that infuriated people so much they voted to leave,in part just to wipe the smug smile off your type's face.

That's because the country, as proven by the result of the referendum, is full of racists and idiots. You've already shown that you are one of these idiots multiple times in this thread so I'm not going to take your opinion seriously.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
That's because the country, as proven by the result of the referendum, is full of racists and idiots. You've already shown that you are one of these idiots multiple times in this thread so I'm not going to take your opinion seriously.

A shameful post that says a lot more about you than anyone else.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not 17.1M though. A minority maybe. Lets hope they don't need AandE

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A mate of mine, who I'm meeting for the game later, has just texted that whilst on the school run picking up his son from primary school today in Bexhill, he overhead one of the mothers say:

'F****** Polish b****' at one of the other mothers.
I quite simply dont believe you.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You have a short memory.
Blair and Brown made a manifesto commitment to a referendum because of the nation's dissatisfaction with the Eurocrats. Then they reneged on the commitment and got castigated and thrown out of government. The Tories then made a similar manifesto commitment and, once in power, delivered on that commitment.

And you have a selective memory.
Brown lost because of the 2008 financial crash, that was the only game in town, for the 2010 election.
The pro erurope Tories had hidden behind the Lib Dems in coalition so as not to have to give a firm commitment to a referendum. When the Tories were in the run up to the 2015 election, they were starting to lose votes to UKIP, and more importantly several Tory MPs were rumoured to be changing parties, although only two did in the end.
Cameron, eent into panic mode and promised a referendum to stop his party from haemoraging the support of the right wing of the party.

The referendum was never about serving democracy, it was about shoring up Tory right wing support, at the expense of the status quo

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We'll have to agree to disagree: where I work, in asset management in London, Nikkei going up 2%, GBP hitting a 31 year low, 3 major stocks being suspended and FTSE 250 down 7% is nowhere near "stable" trading - not quite sure how you think it is. How volatile would the market have to be for you to classify it as not being stable?

I didn't say it was stable. I said that, this morning, based on the performance of the Asian markets overnight it was fairly accurate at the time. Subsequently, there have been further falls in the European markets and the pound. Definitely some market turmoil.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Remain global elitists are back peddling.After a month of scaremongering and bad mouthing we are reaping their scare tactics, but if the fundementals are sound then its all noise.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I understand you are trying to find the downside of everything but all that is happening is some market turmoil due to the current political uncertainty. This is nothing like Black Friday in1987 or the dot com bust of 2001 or the global financial crisis of 2008.

Really? When did the pound fall against the Dollar more than it did today? I am not looking for the downside, it is screaming out at me, and pretending that it ain't so bad cos we are not down much against the Euro, is failing to acknowledge that we had already lost ground against it in anticipation of this referendum, which, had the result gione the other way, would likely have returned to some degree, and that our exit is damaging the Euro too.
These things are temporary, we may get worse, we may get some recovery and in the long run I am sure it will work out roughly the same as if we had never had the referendum . But given that leaving will not end free movement, will not stop E.U. legislation ending up in British law and not save us £350Million a week, is it ****ing worth it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here