Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
And you have a selective memory.
Brown lost because of the 2008 financial crash, that was the only game in town, for the 2010 election.
The pro erurope Tories had hidden behind the Lib Dems in coalition so as not to have to give a firm commitment to a referendum. When the Tories were in the run up to the 2015 election, they were starting to lose votes to UKIP, and more importantly several Tory MPs were rumoured to be changing parties, although only two did in the end.
Cameron, eent into panic mode and promised a referendum to stop his party from haemoraging the support of the right wing of the party.

The referendum was never about serving democracy, it was about shoring up Tory right wing support, at the expense of the status quo

I never said why they lost. I said they were castigated for not delivering the promised referendum and they were thrown out of power. You have an opinion why they were thrown out. Cameron made a manifesto commitment and delivered on it, unlike the duplicitous Brown.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I didn't say it was stable. I said that, this morning, based on the performance of the Asian markets overnight it was fairly accurate at the time. Subsequently, there have been further falls in the European markets and the pound. Definitely some market turmoil.

Whichever economic adviser (if any) approved that statement needs to get closer to the market - anyone in the Square Mile could have told him at 7am this morning that his statement was false. The fact that a market has not opened for trading does not necessarily mean that markets are stable.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Remain global elitists are back peddling.After a month of scaremongering and bad mouthing we are reaping their scare tactics, but if the fundementals are sound then its all noise.

You ****ing dreamer. Bail out for the banks again is on the cards.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A small act but indicative.
An 11 year old Polish boy today is given a card at school suggesting he and his family are vermin and should go home.

Some might say it is only those who wish to remain a part of Europe who mention it in order to stir things up?
I would suggest that "things" are stirred up quite enough and sleight of hand by leave supporters trying to fool us that it's some sort of conspiracy against them must not be allowed to prevail. We are becoming a society where the open expression of xenophobia and racism is permitted and nay-sayers become the accused. "It's only kids" doesn't work. It is only kids following their parents' lead.
We are allowing ourselves to sink to new lows day-by-day.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
At least we'll get bendy bananas now. :moo:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
An 11 year old Polish boy today is given a card at school suggesting he and his family are vermin and should go home.

Some might say it is only those who wish to remain a part of Europe who mention it in order to stir things up?
I would suggest that "things" are stirred up quite enough and sleight of hand by leave supporters trying to fool us that it's some sort of conspiracy against them must not be allowed to prevail. We are becoming a society where the open expression of xenophobia and racism is permitted and nay-sayers become the accused. "It's only kids" doesn't work. It is only kids following their parents' lead.

It's people making fabricating stuff like this which causes the problems , get something on Facebook and people think it's gospel

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
e654ap.jpg

Bill was wrong, the current situation was predicted, but Bill called it project fear.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's because the country, as proven by the result of the referendum, is full of racists and idiots. You've already shown that you are one of these idiots multiple times in this thread so I'm not going to take your opinion seriously.
Full of racists and idiots? Well full means complete so you are included in that merry little lot.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Really? When did the pound fall against the Dollar more than it did today? I am not looking for the downside, it is screaming out at me, and pretending that it ain't so bad cos we are not down much against the Euro, is failing to acknowledge that we had already lost ground against it in anticipation of this referendum, which, had the result gione the other way, would likely have returned to some degree, and that our exit is damaging the Euro too.
These things are temporary, we may get worse, we may get some recovery and in the long run I am sure it will work out roughly the same as if we had never had the referendum . But given that leaving will not end free movement, will not stop E.U. legislation ending up in British law and not save us £350Million a week, is it ****ing worth it?

You don't know whether we will get any of those things.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Britain loses AAA credit rating

NEWSFLASH: Britain has just lost its last triple-A credit rating.

Standard & Poor’s has downgraded the UK to AA, with a negative outlook, following the EU referendum decision."

S&P really hasn’t held back -- this is a TWO-NOTCH downgrade, from AAA to AA, completely bypassing the AA+ rating."

A crisis...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Do you think a remain vote would have changed these people's opinions?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I never said why they lost. I said they were castigated for not delivering the promised referendum and they were thrown out of power. You have an opinion why they were thrown out. Cameron made a manifesto commitment and delivered on it, unlike the duplicitous Brown.

But I've stated the reason Cameron gave a commitment to a referendum in the first place,a cowardly sop to his right wing Europhobes. He got it wrong twice,once,surrendering to Farage by giving a referendum commitment, an twice, he failed to win

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
. But given that leaving will not end free movement, will not stop E.U. legislation ending up in British law and not save us

Neither of these points are true, you are rehashing lies by remain to justify a new referendum, which was posted originally by 4chan.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's people making fabricating stuff like this which causes the problems , get something on Facebook and people think it's gospel

Not Facebook or Twitter but mainstream news.........in all of which there is ample proof for any but the apologists.
You make my point very nicely Ernest. Any attempt - a single word - that defends or seeks to create a deception is another nail in the coffin of our national decency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here