Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
was the EU exit vote by referendum a vote and an instruction to the Government to stop free movement of EU nationals into the UK?
No it wasn't.
Yes, will they acknowledge this? No
You're just wrong. I voted leave, but I didn't vote to stop the free movement of people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Controlled immigration using a points based system was part of the BREXIT manifesto.
There was no (single, mutual) Brexit manifesto.

We voted to leave or remain in the EU, that's all. Everyone I know that voted leave wants to keep free trade, and they would all accept the free movement of people. I am fully aware that the people I know are not representative of the whole country, and many people want to stop the free movement of people, but most don't, and that is not what the referendum said.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No it wasn't.
You're just wrong. I voted leave, but I didn't vote to stop the free movement of people.

You are one of the brighter ones then.

Just look at the top of this thread, 46% of people think they voted to stop the free movement of people. If you translate that to the national vote then millions of people haven't even understood what they were voting for!

It absolutely beggars belief we were offered a referendum on this issue.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If everyone that voted out knew what they were doing, really meant it and understood that £350 million was a lie and border control would probably not be total, surely we would get the same result again, so the only harm would be the time and money to do it?
It would be democratic wouldn't it?

No, it wouldn't. Every single election is fought upon the same basis, there isn't a single vote where either everyone is in full possession of the facts or has equal intellect or common sense. If we apply your reasoning, each general election's results would be annulled. We thankfully live in a society where no matter what one's color or social position or intelligence, one has an equal vote.

And in any case, remain campaign told a hatful of lies as well. Both campaigns were appallingly led.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Just look at the top of this thread, 46% of people think they voted to stop the free movement of people.
They're wrong. Of course I come across as arrogant saying that, but I'm not sure what else to say. This isn't about opinion, that's not what the referendum said. Switzerland and Norway have free movement of people withing the EU, so how can leaving the EU possibly guarantee not having the free movement of people. Of course it doesn't mean that.

It is an option we could choose, and I realise many people would want that, but it was obviously not an instruction from the voters, as it wasn't the question.

If you translate that to the national vote then millions of people haven't even understood what they were voting for!
No change their then.

You could say the same about choosing a government though. Don't give up on democracy just because people are a bit stupid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
COMMONS DEBATE

Ken Clarke not pulling any punches on what he thinks of the referendum!
He's only got himself to blame if his side didn't get their message across.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
There was no (single, mutual) Brexit manifesto.

We voted to leave or remain in the EU, that's all. Everyone I know that voted leave wants to keep free trade, and they would all accept the free movement of people. I am fully aware that the people I know are not representative of the whole country, and many people want to stop the free movement of people, but most don't, and that is not what the referendum said.

The official BREXIT campaign headed by Johnson, Gove and the lady clearly stated their position regarding a points based immigration system. You cannot deny this and you cannot claim that the majority disagree with this.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Just look at the top of this thread, 46% of people think they voted to stop the free movement of people. If you translate that to the national vote then millions of people haven't even understood what they were voting for!

The reasons for this referendum go back to when Blair and Brown were in government. There was a clamour for a referendum because of the level of dissatisfaction with the European Project. As a result, Labour put it into their manifesto and then reneged on the promise once they were elected. Subsequently, the Tories put it into their manifesto and, having been elected, they delivered on their manifesto commitment. It may beggar your belief but it seems very democratic and reasonable to me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The official BREXIT campaign headed by Johnson, Gove and the lady clearly stated their position regarding a points based immigration system. You cannot deny this and you cannot claim that the majority disagree with this.
That was their position, but they're not in power, and I did not vote for them. What of Farage's official position? I didn't vote for him either. I voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That was their position, but they're not in power, and I did not vote for them. What of Farage's official position? I didn't vote for him either. I voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less.

This is not hugely different from a general election where each party publishes a manifesto. When you go into the ballot box you put a cross against 1 name. You don't get the choice of deciding which of the many manifesto statements you support and which you don't. If you vote BREXIT you effectively vote for the BREXIT manifesto. I realise it's slightly different because the BREXIT team is not the government but the expectation is that, broadly, the subsequent actions to withdraw from the EU will be guided or influenced b the stated position of the BREXIT campaign. The separate UKIP campaign muddies the waters but doesn't destroy that concept. Johnson and Gove were basically endorsed by the Government to lead the BREXIT campaign.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The reasons for this referendum go back to when Blair and Brown were in government. There was a clamour for a referendum because of the level of dissatisfaction with the European Project. As a result, Labour put it into their manifesto and then reneged on the promise once they were elected. Subsequently, the Tories put it into their manifesto and, having been elected, they delivered on their manifesto commitment. It may beggar your belief but it seems very democratic and reasonable to me.

46% of people here think the vote last Thursday was to stop the free movement of people, which is FUNDAMENTALLY wrong.

That 46% is presumably made up solely of Brexiters, so 46% of 17 million is nearly 8 million.

Millions of people don't know what they were voting for. Allowing millions of people to vote on something that they don't know, but that will massively affect everything and everyone for years to come (for the better or worse), is hardly what I would call reasonable, its reckless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here