Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder if this is how Scots see Britain, a foreign political organisation? We were and still are at the moment, full members of the EU. We have the same representation there as any other nation in the EU, so it's failings can be equally shared by it's members representatives. It is another failing of UK government if the EU moves in directions we do not like, because the have had as much of a hand on the rudder as anyone else. Of course though, being a democratic organisation, if Britain and one other objects to a particular course of action, the majority wins out, you know how that works.
The difference is that the united kingdom is a country. The EU is not and will never be.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
he's right about the opposition (not for the first time this parliament, the Conservative back benchers threaten revolt and Labour claim as a victory for them), and makes a good case about the nature of the referendum. above all though, i learnt the phase "jot and tittle". marvellous.

Jot & Tittle...............every tiny amount relating to any subject:wink:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
he's right about the opposition (not for the first time this parliament, the Conservative back benchers threaten revolt and Labour claim as a victory for them), and makes a good case about the nature of the referendum. above all though, i learnt the phase "jot and tittle". marvellous.

of course he is right.
but it is wonderful
"jot and tittle"................"leather and prunella"......rock on the mogg.......great stuff

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
New court case threatens to derail Brexit

Bid to force MPs’ vote on leaving single market

Theresa May faces a new Brexit crisis this weekend as opponents launch a fresh legal action to upend her plans for leaving the European Union.

Campaigners will write to the government tomorrow saying they are taking it to the High Court in an effort to keep Britain in the single market.

The claimants — one a “remain” voter, the other who backed Brexit — will seek a judicial review in an attempt to give MPs a new power of veto over the terms on which Britain leaves the EU.

They are following the same legal path that has already seen ministers dragged to the Supreme Court. If they are successful, parliament would be able to stop the prime minister from making a clean break with Brussels, delay her pledge to kick-start negotiations in March or even derail Brexit completely.

They argue that the government “has no mandate” to withdraw from the single market because it was not on the referendum ballot paper on June 23 and was not part of the Conservative Party manifesto for last year’s general election.

But the move provoked fury from Eurosceptics last night, who accused the claimants of mounting a “vexatious” case designed to overturn the result of the referendum.

It came as:

● Up to 40 rebel Tory MPs, dubbed the “new *******s”, prepared to set up a campaign group to fight for a soft Brexit inside the single market

● May ordered her chief whip to monitor the activities of prominent remain campaigners Nicky Morgan, Anna Soubry and George Osborne

● One of May’s aides banned Morgan from setting foot in Downing Street after a tense exchange of texts last week.

The High Court has already ruled May cannot trigger article 50 — the mechanism which fires the starting gun on Brexit talks – without parliamentary approval, a ruling now being examined by the Supreme Court. The new case hinges on whether the government would also have to trigger another obscure legal measure — article 127 of the European Economic Area agreement — in order to quit the single market.

Ministers argue Britain automatically exits the single market when it quits the EU — leaving them free to negotiate a new trade deal with Brussels. But, if the claimants win the new court case, the government would have to gain the approval of MPs, embroiling the government in a lengthy dogfight with its critics.

MPs will vote overwhelmingly to leave the EU but most observers do not think there would be a majority to leave the single market. Staying in the single market would also scupper the prime minister’s pledge to ditch freedom of movement and take control of immigration.

Tomorrow, campaigners will send a legal “letter before action” to Downing Street announcing they will be seeking the judicial review.

The two claimants are Peter Wilding, chairman of pressure group British Influence, who has been credited with coining the term Brexit and who voted to remain; and Adrian Yalland, a Conservative lobbyist who voted to leave.

Wilding said: “This is not stopping Brexit, this is shaping it. The country demands a win-win, smart Brexit; not a lose-lose ideological hard Brexit which will damage the UK, damage Europe and for which there is no need and no mandate.”

Yalland, whose partner is Polish, said he was concerned the government would be acting illegally if it did not get a proper mandate for leaving the single market.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/new-courtcase-threatens-to-derail-brexit-p3bjhv06p

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
New court case threatens to derail Brexit

Bid to force MPs’ vote on leaving single market

these MPs and challenges seem to make a misunderstanding or assumption you can cancel leaving the EU if you dont get the terms you want. now that may be the case, after 2 years negotiation the EU may prefer to allow us to cancel invoking Article 50, but theres no certainty. so these case are all bluff, they are asking to vote on somthing that will be a Hobson's Choice.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Okay, I have made a few erroneous predictions. Fairs fair. But if you want to play this game you come across as an uneducated and vacuous idiot who hasnt many interests in life. Are your opinions any more valid than mine?

Probably my opinion is as good as yours. You have predicted Labour 7 points ahead and winning an election, Remain to win, Clinton as well. You have been cocksure and patronising with it. This post I am replying to is similar to many you direct at me....insulting. Perhaps you are out of touch, or just think you are so much cleverer than some others. You have again picked on my posts to get your digs in, I was not even responding to your fantastic posts.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
now that may be the case, after 2 years negotiation the EU may prefer to allow us to cancel invoking Article 50, but theres no certainty. so these case are all bluff, they are asking to vote on somthing that will be a Hobson's Choice.

I'm not a legal expert, but the article does state in regards to the new case:

The new case hinges on whether the government would also have to trigger another obscure legal measure — article 127 of the European Economic Area agreement — in order to quit the single market

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
"Any attempt to overturn the referendum would invite mayhem of the most grievous kind."

Lord Nigel Lawson warns of the danger of another EU referendum, calling the opposition to the Leave result "irresponsible" and an act of "playing with fire".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"Any attempt to overturn the referendum would invite mayhem of the most grievous kind."

Lord Nigel Lawson warns of the danger of another EU referendum, calling the opposition to the Leave result "irresponsible" and an act of "playing with fire".

Both terms that have rightly been applied to Brexit.

Why would it cause Mayhem? A few fat knackers from the council estates may get confused on a One Show voxpop on their way out of Iceland and Pastafarian might get in a tizzy and throw his toys out of the pram on here at 5 am. Both of which happen regularly anyway.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Project fear nonsense?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably my opinion is as good as yours. You have predicted Labour 7 points ahead and winning an election, Remain to win, Clinton as well. You have been cocksure and patronising with it. This post I am replying to is similar to many you direct at me....insulting. Perhaps you are out of touch, or just think you are so much cleverer than some others. You have again picked on my posts to get your digs in, I was not even responding to your fantastic posts.

No. This isn't about me being clever, cocksure or patronising. It's about you being vacuous. You piggy-back on other people's posts, "like" other people's posts, paste other people's articles and then when pressed for your own opinion, or asked a question, you go missing or use the "I'll reply when I want, not when you want" line. You absolutely have nothing to say for yourself....and it's not just me who has called you out on this is it?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No. This isn't about me being clever, cocksure or patronising. It's about you being vacuous. You piggy-back on other people's posts, "like" other people's posts, paste other people's articles and then when pressed for your own opinion, or asked a question, you go missing or use the "I'll reply when I want, not when you want" line. You absolutely have nothing to say for yourself....and it's not just me who has called you out on this is it?

"Called me out". How old are you. You quoted me not "having a life", yet you spend countless hours and a massive amount of posts on a message board in another country. Add to that you post on political threads of a country you do not live in. I suggest you need a "life". As for giving my opinions, I gave them months ago, years in fact on the Election, referendum etc, just peoplet like you do not accept, you just keep moaning on. How many pages? WE VOTED OUT.

Last edited:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

Indeed :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Called me out". How old are you. You quoted me not "having a life", yet you spend countless hours and a massive amount of posts on a message board in another country. Add to that you post on political threads of a country you do not live in. I suggest you need a "life".

You're an old man who lives in Somping. Please don't lecture me on needing a life, I have a very active and interesting one with plenty of stuff going on thank you. If you cared, or even dared, to look at other threads on this site you might spot some of it.

I'm now going to shower and then head off to a restaurant. Have a pleasant evening whatever it is you're up to tonight :wink:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You're an old man who lives in Somping. Please don't lecture me on needing a life, I have a very active and interesting one with plenty of stuff going on thank you. If you cared, or even dared, to look at other threads on this site you might spot some of it.

I'm now going to shower and then head off to a restaurant. Have a pleasant evening whatever it is you're up to tonight :wink:

You really are a piece aren't you. If you care to look it was you that stated i did not have a life. You are very good at turning things around, aren't you.
Perhaps if you did not insult, look down your nose at people, and realised that your opinion is not the only opinion.
I have been out since early yesterday evening, just got in, no doubt you can lecture a few whilst out tonight eh, old know all in the Fatherland.
Have a pleasant evening yourself:wink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not a legal expert, but the article does state in regards to the new case:

The new case hinges on whether the government would also have to trigger another obscure legal measure — article 127 of the European Economic Area agreement — in order to quit the single market.

Somehow this sounds like a bit of desperation by some remainers. Do they think seriously that once we trigger Article 50 and leave the EU that we'll somehow still automatically be in the single market, and will have to apply through another article to leave it?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The only Brexit issues that mean anything to either side.
Free movement
Access to the 'single market'
Sovereignty
Let the fight continue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here