Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree, closer if not harmonised tax rates would be good, one of the things Britain gets very up tight about though and starts shouting about sovereignty, whenever it comes up. France does not have twice the rate that we have, but it is a good way higher, though the overall taxation on business is closer than it looks.
I do not doubt that this has been going on for years, and that it is a bigger problem than is currently apparent, but the EU is now doing something to tackle it, whilst we will be moving to encourage it, which in turn weakens the EU hand in tackling the problem.
Trickle down economics being a reason of yours, for the dissatisfaction of the people of Wakefield, I guess you are happy with the way things are shaping up?

Not entirely, no. Specifically, I am disappointed with the reaction of the political establishment to the result of the referendum. I do actually share many of your concerns and I don't disagree with your reply above. Where we differ is that I see the EU as undermining our society but I fully accept that a prolonged period of Tory Government would be equally damaging. This is certainly a crossroads !

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Dave Cameron today has described the Brexit vote and Donald Trump's election in the US as a "movement of unhappiness". No wonder the future is gloomy.
Wow, how's that crystal ball? You seem very confident that you know the future. Did you predict Brexit? Or Trump?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's a joke for happy people. Have put in bold to help. [emoji23]

OK, it's a joke. So what's the punch line?

[emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:
Well I am unable to comprehend. There I am thinking it was another case of a remainer bashing our country's prospects in order to justify feelings of superiority. But I am a leave voter, it is all too much for my puny intellect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I spoke to my mate in Hull last night. Fair bit of work going and the steel industry is on the up.

Not what the industry is saying...far from it.

"Steel crisis far from over as UK production plunges in face of global pressure"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...m-over-as-uk-production-plunges-in-face-of-g/

All good here though :wink:

"FRANKFURT–-The Deutsche Bundesbank raised its growth forecast for this year and next, as German households continue to take advantage of a strong labor market and rising incomes, the central bank said in its half yearly forecast published Friday."

Rising incomes....remember those?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

"Steel crisis far from over as UK production plunges in face of global pressure"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...m-over-as-uk-production-plunges-in-face-of-g/

"FRANKFURT–-The Deutsche Bundesbank raised its growth forecast for this year and next, as German households continue to take advantage of a strong labor market and rising incomes, the central bank said in its half yearly forecast published Friday."

I can only go on info from people who live there. Let's face it most of the predictions have been wrong, including a few of yours. ;)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Huh, odd that a country with a proper long-term industrial strategy has rising income levels despite increased migration levels. It's almost as if our stagnant wage growth is actually down to ideologically driven Tory austerity rather than our EU membership.

Jan 30, 2008

who gives a flying ****
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can only go on info from people who live there. Let's face it most of the predictions have been wrong, including a few of yours. ;)

Okay, I have made a few erroneous predictions. Fairs fair. But if you want to play this game you come across as an uneducated and vacuous idiot who hasnt many interests in life. Are your opinions any more valid than mine?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Huh, odd that a country with a proper long-term industrial strategy has rising income levels despite increased migration levels. It's almost as if our stagnant wage growth is actually down to ideologically driven Tory austerity rather than our EU membership.

The increased migration levels in Germany are certainly designed to be part of their long term industrial strategy ie the purpose is to dampen wage growth in an economy that benefits from a structurally weaker exchange rate than would be the case outside of the Euro. The outcome is likely to be rising inequality. Let's check back on the political and social situation in Germany in a few years time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But how long was it until the EU got involved? Ten years, twenty years....

If the Government here started incentives for building the numbers of houses we need, would you call them out for not having started it twenty years ago, or congratulate them for doing it? You could do both I suppose, but it is a bit pointless to moan about the current incumbents of the positions of power not doing something, when they were not the persons in power.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If the Government here started incentives for building the numbers of houses we need, would you call them out for not having started it twenty years ago, or congratulate them for doing it? You could do both I suppose, but it is a bit pointless to moan about the current incumbents of the positions of power not doing something, when they were not the persons in power.
Personally I distinguish between blaming a foreign political organisation for interference and bad practise and the failings of the government of our country.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Personally I distinguish between blaming a foreign political organisation for interference and bad practise and the failings of the government of our country.

I wonder if this is how Scots see Britain, a foreign political organisation? We were and still are at the moment, full members of the EU. We have the same representation there as any other nation in the EU, so it's failings can be equally shared by it's members representatives. It is another failing of UK government if the EU moves in directions we do not like, because the have had as much of a hand on the rudder as anyone else. Of course though, being a democratic organisation, if Britain and one other objects to a particular course of action, the majority wins out, you know how that works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here