Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The reason is that the wicked EU, has told Luxembourg they cannot allow McDonalds to dodge tax, so they come to Britain to dodge tax instead. The benefit to Britain is, we get a little bit of tax on profits they took elsewhere. This is great for us, until they spot a cheaper option.
At some point, to prevent big companies driving their corp tax down by negotiating a sweet deal in this place or that, maybe a bunch of Nations could get together and set some rules so that Companies actually meet their social responsibilities, maybe a sort of Union of Europe or something.

the irony here is that they set up in Luxembourg in the first place due to the EU rules, and can move revenue around between countries because of international agreements already in place - in other words they are using the system as it has been intended. the only thing the EU can hope to achieve (or anyone else) is uniform tax harmonisation, which would require further integration and EU fiscal policy. not going to happen any time soon.

D

Deleted member 22389

Outrageous isn't it. Surely a few tents would do the job.

Just a modest office block would do don't you think? The amount of money this organisation wastes is absolutely disgusting, especially when you think of the numbers of Southern Europeans who are living in poverty thanks to the EU and their governments own austerity measures. This country isn't doing too bad compared to the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The reason is that the wicked EU, has told Luxembourg they cannot allow McDonalds to dodge tax, so they come to Britain to dodge tax instead. The benefit to Britain is, we get a little bit of tax on profits they took elsewhere. This is great for us, until they spot a cheaper option.
At some point, to prevent big companies driving their corp tax down by negotiating a sweet deal in this place or that, maybe a bunch of Nations could get together and set some rules so that Companies actually meet their social responsibilities, maybe a sort of Union of Europe or something.
Why does the EU, and I agree it's wicked, allow Ireland to have beneficial sweeteners for corporations?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Here is some new polling data from Yougov:

"In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union"

Attachments

• YouGov EU follow-up data Dec 4-5.jpg
    YouGov EU follow-up data Dec 4-5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 136

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just a modest office block would do don't you think? The amount of money this organisation wastes is absolutely disgusting, especially when you think of the numbers of Southern Europeans who are living in poverty thanks to the EU and their governments own austerity measures. This country isn't doing too bad compared to the others.

Portcullis house? Just £250Million 20 years ago for some of our MP's to have office space.
The real ridiculous waste is the move the EU do once a month to have a vote, that is totally unnecessary and wasteful, and should be stopped.
Apart from that, not having audited accounts is also a problem, that also needs tackling, but an office building for people to work in is not something to get too uptight about.

Outrageous isn't it. Surely a few tents would do the job.
A Building in France that they decamp to so the French feel loved. 7 Buildings in Brussels for the various versions of councils they have. Brussels has more money spent on it by the EU than any other capital in Europe.

A lovely shopping mall for all the EU beurocrats to use because they can't be arsed to actually travel and meet real people.

How this commission was ever allowed to grow under our noses is an absolute disgrace and shames us all.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Portcullis house? Just £250Million 20 years ago for some of our MP's to have office space.
The real ridiculous waste is the move the EU do once a month to have a vote, that is totally unnecessary and wasteful, and should be stopped.
Apart from that, not having audited accounts is also a problem, that also needs tackling, but an office building for people to work in is not something to get too uptight about.

This is ridiculous. The Space Egg, symbolises joy at a time of rising populist anger.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/08/eu-unveils-new-300m-space-egg-hq-europa-brussels/

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why does the EU, and I agree it's wicked, allow Ireland to have beneficial sweeteners for corporations?

It doesn't. Ireland and Apple are appealing an EU decision that Ireland gave Apple unfair tax advantage.
What is allowed is for any country to give all businesses of this or that type a sweet deal, just not on a one by one basis. This could also be tackled to some degree with rules, which I believe will be forthcoming, not to harmonise taxation but to set a minimum threshold.
The best way, for me is what most of you fear, a proper United States of Europe, where there is no escaping the Federal taxes, and state taxes can be set as needed by each state.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It doesn't. Ireland and Apple are appealing an EU decision that Ireland gave Apple unfair tax advantage.
What is allowed is for any country to give all businesses of this or that type a sweet deal, just not on a one by one basis. This could also be tackled to some degree with rules, which I believe will be forthcoming, not to harmonise taxation but to set a minimum threshold.
The best way, for me is what most of you fear, a proper United States of Europe, where there is no escaping the Federal taxes, and state taxes can be set as needed by each state.

The one that most remainers told us we didn't have to worry about because it wasn't going to happen ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
[/I]
The one that most remainers told us we didn't have to worry about because it wasn't going to happen ?

Yes, the one that was not going to happen, at least not with Britain in it, as we had an exemption. Not what I wanted but it is what the situation was.
Me wanting it, and it being reality, is clearly not the same thing, as the referendum shows.

D

Deleted member 22389

Not so keen on the interior, but not a bad building otherwise, and all for the price of a Buckingham Palace refurb, a house for an old lady and her husband, sounds like a bargain.

Both a rip off, however the queen does generate a lot of money for our travel industry.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But how long was it until the EU got involved? Ten years, twenty years....

Jan 30, 2008
London is an excellent place to do business for a number of reasons but it will lose its attractiveness if it is frozen out of the EU. BNP and DB and here because of the culture, timezone and can operate in English - the language of business. The Swiss don't have offices in London to make it easier they need access to the single market in services to be viable. It's not an inconvenience, it's essential to their business.
**** the money men just like they've ****ed joe public in the past, our country doesn't entirely revolve around london
regards
DR

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Dave Cameron today has described the Brexit vote and Donald Trump's election in the US as a "movement of unhappiness". No wonder the future is gloomy.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Another leak from Davis from leaked business notes with city firms:

1. UK to control immigration in principle 'but very much understood' UK would not benefit from a labour shortage.

2. Thus no to single market and customs union

3. A50 letter by end March to ask for full access to single market for UK goods and services nonetheless under a Canada plus type deal.

4.No transitional deal unless the EU really wants one in which case Davis 'might be kind'.

5.And if the EU don't play ball 'they would then need to switch to his “alternative strategy” that the UK Government will have to take a position of competing with other EU Member States for business — lower tax, softer regulation and other strong business incentives.'

Davis reportedly 'bullish' and not interested in hearing special pleading from lobbyists. Tells the City he thinks it has not moved on from the Referendum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here