Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Kinky Gerbils said:
kind of supreme arrogance that says that if things had been done my way

good one - you never do that do you :lolol:

No I don't. Name an example of where I've said, "if McGhee had done this and that, then we would have definitely succeeded"? I do criticise weak arguments which use that speculative method. And that's I guess unfortunate for you, because virtually every second post of yours is a load of wishful thinking piled on top of hopeless speculation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
No I don't. Name an example of where I've said, "if McGhee had done this and that, then we would have definitely succeeded"? I do criticise weak arguments which use that speculative method. And that's I guess unfortunate for you, because virtually every second post of yours is a load of wishful thinking piled on top of hopeless speculation.

So your games dont count at the start of the season arguement sort of went tits up, and where have i said my way would have definitely succeeded?

O once again your making things up!:wave:

Kinky Gerbils said:
As TLO Said (much to mine and most peoples upset) the club will not sack him.

That's right, not in the middle of his contract when he is still majorly in credit in terms of where the club was when he arrived.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
LB

As I said, Mouslecombe and Coldean.

When we were at the Goldstome - rememer that Steve ( Oh no you dont) anyway, we parked up by Shirley Drive, which was a good 15 minute walk away and lots of people did the same. parking in M/Coldean would be about the same distance and I dare say people will do the same.

To suggest to the people of there that it will be made all residents parking is farsical whoever suggested that.

I think in these days of "right on politics " and green issues, Yes the club and others will point at transport strategies, but at the end of the day they do not work. Look at Brighton on a Saturday and Sunday with people queuing to get into London Roadf from London. I dont see them all getting on the train.

BTW just because I dont kow tow to the current public transport fad doesnt make me a daily mail reader ( Morning Star actually...)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
That's right, not in the middle of his contract when he is still majorly in credit in terms of where the club was when he arrived.
Exactly where it is now?

Kinky Gerbils said:
So your games dont count at the start of the season arguement sort of went tits up
Did it? Ok, answer me a question then - by the middle of October, a good two and a half months into the season, were we above or below Sheffield Wednesday in the table?

E

enigma

Crikey, if thats true then that really changes the picture. I was always of the opinion that relegation wouldnt cost that much as thats what was being said before, but this shows otherwise.

I can understand the board not wanting to spend too much in the clubs situation, but it might have been worth gambling a little more.

As for CKR, I can still see why they did that.

Silent Bob said:
Exactly where it is now?

Having undergone our first successive seasons in the second tier since 89 to 91 - all thanks to Mark McGhee.

Dies Irae said:
LB

As I said, Mouslecombe and Coldean.

When we were at the Goldstome - rememer that Steve ( Oh no you dont) anyway, we parked up by Shirley Drive, which was a good 15 minute walk away and lots of people did the same. parking in M/Coldean would be about the same distance and I dare say people will do the same.

To suggest to the people of there that it will be made all residents parking is farsical whoever suggested that.

I think in these days of "right on politics " and green issues, Yes the club and others will point at transport strategies, but at the end of the day they do not work. Look at Brighton on a Saturday and Sunday with people queuing to get into London Roadf from London. I dont see them all getting on the train.

BTW just because I dont kow tow to the current public transport fad doesnt make me a daily mail reader ( Morning Star actually...)

What is this Daily Mail rant in aid of?

You know full well that it we don't abide by the parking restrictions, we will be in breach of our planning permisssion at Withdean. What then? Back to Priestfield? (remember that Dave?)

Last edited:

London Irish said:
Did it? Ok, answer me a question then - by the middle of October, a good two and a half months into the season, were we above or below Sheffield Wednesday in the table?

OK Kinky, as you've gone uncharacteristically quiet, I'll answer for you. With a quarter of a season gone, Sheffield Wednesday were stone last in the table, 24th place, propping everyone up, etc, etc.

But they didn't finish there, did they? What truly counts is what happens at the business end of the season, not in the first couple of months.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:

I actually think you have a point about the start of the season, we had quite a change around in personnel (Virgo, Currie, Cullip, Harding had all left the year before, CKR, Carole, Frutos, Flo, McShane coming in) so it was a time to establish our team and let new players settle in. The trouble is with our situation we were always going to struggle so couldn't really afford to write it off and needed to pick up more results early on, especially as we have a young and small squad who would potentially fade towards the end of the season.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
OK Kinky, as you've gone uncharacteristically quiet, I'll answer for you. With a quarter of a season gone, Sheffield Wednesday were stone last in the table, 24th place, propping everyone up, etc, etc.

But they didn't finish there, did they? What truly counts is what happens at the business end of the season, not in the first couple of months.

Not entirely true is it.

Last season Plymouth started superbly, but then fell to pieces, but in the end their start (and playing us on the run in) kept them up.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Not entirely true is it.

Last season Plymouth started superbly, but then fell to pieces, but in the end their start (and playing us on the run in) kept them up.
Crewe's early season form kept them up too. In the section of the season that apparently really matters they gained THREE whole points.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
What truly counts is what happens at the business end of the season, not in the first couple of months.
That doesn't really wash though does it. A point earned in October is just as valuable as a point in April.

When Coppell came in to try to salvage our wreckage of a season after Hinshelwood had been in charge, he was undone not be his own performance in the job, but by the fact we had such a meagre points tally by the end of October as to be needing almost promotion form to climb clear. The damage was already done with those 10 or 12 early defeats, leaving us VERY little room for error in our remaining games.

Last edited:

Easy 10 said:
That doesn't really wash though does it. A point earned in October is just as valuable as a point in April.

When Coppell came in to try to salvage our wreckage of a season after Hinshelwood had been in charge, he was undone not be his own performance in the job, but by the fact we had such a meagre points tally by the end of October as to be needing almost promotion form to climb clear.

Losing games early on in never desirable but it is never terminal in a relegation struggle like the one we were in. After all, why then did Sheffield Wednesday not go down when they were bottom in October? If you struggle early on, teams always have an opportunity to turn things round. The Wendsy took that opportunity, we didn't. It's like going a goal down after 10 minutes - it's never a good thing, but better than going a goal down in the 90th minute.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Why then did Sheffield Wednesday go down when they were bottom in October? If you struggle early on, teams always have an opportunity to turn things round. The Wendsy took that opportunity, we didn't. It's like going a goal down after 10 minutes - it's never a good thing, but better than going a goal down in the 90th minute.

It is surely about taking as many points as possible, whenever in the season. It is useful to have some form in the run in, but look at QPR, they are crap at present, but have picked enough up along the way that it no longer matters.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Why then did Sheffield Wednesday go down when they were bottom in October? If you struggle early on, teams always have an opportunity to turn things round. The Wendsy took that opportunity, we didn't. It's like going a goal down after 10 minutes - it's never a good thing, but better than going a goal down in the 90th minute.

Not if your already 1-0 up. Which in you analogy would be the equivalent of picking up those early season points.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
Not entirely true is it.

Actually, what was key to keeping Plymouth up was a very good unbeaten run in the second half of the season (including as you say an important victory over us) after they had been dragged right back into it. It kept Bobby Williamson his job (for another five months anyway).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here