Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

London Irish said:
1997-8

1998-9

1999-0

2000-1

2001-2

2003-4

Six seasons when the current board have successfully guided us through seasons in the lower leagues with as little revenue as now.

You know how they did that?

By not giving into loudmouthed fans like you who want them to spend money we haven't got.

Loudmouth fans? if it wasnt for "loudmouth fans" archer would still be at the club.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Dies Irae said:
But that is what I am getting at.

What about all those people who will come by car and be dropped off.

Everyone thinks that people will toe the line and use Public transport......they wont. Its crap. Trying to get a bus to the park and ride has shown that......I do not know why the club persist in this nonsence.

Look at the area around Withdean on matchdays. i am sorry but it is full of cars.

The more hassle you present to people the less likely they are to be arsed and that is the issue about getting people back to support us.

Why was the gate 1500 less on easter Monday? Because people couldn't get tickets. If people could turn up, we would have filled the place. And when they did organise tickets for the game by phoning in, no-one from the club had the brains to get the ticket machjine over to the ground to print the things off so leaving the staff to get abused by people not getting tickets to go through the turnstiles till 30 minutes gone in the first half. It smacks of a mickky mouse club and mickey mouse organisation

I am getting pissed off to the back teeth on being told what I can and can't do just to watch my football team.

And I am not alone

You should send that in to the Daily mail letters page....

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the point about ticketing at Falmer is crucial. I would hazard a guess that the core support at the Albion is somewhere around the 6000 mark.......roughly the gates at Withdean. So for Falmer to work its the "spur of the moment" fan that we will need to attract. Paying at the gate is really the only answer and I cant see why it cant be achieved with a sustainable transport policy.

Keep the price of tickets all the same whether you use the transport element of it or not, but really clamp down (literally) on illegal parkers. Falmer and Moulsecomb could quite eaily be resident only parkers.

But as I said, winning back the support is the main thing and adding them to the core. We really need to make Falmer attractive and that includes ease of access. Having a decent team might help as well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Loudmouth fans? if it wasnt for "loudmouth fans" archer would still be at the club.
Yeah that's right. Your campaign to get Dick Knight to bankrupt this club is the same as saving the club from the asset strippers in the 1990s.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DIFFBROOK said:
I think the point about ticketing at Falmer is crucial. I would hazard a guess that the core support at the Albion is somewhere around the 6000 mark.......roughly the gates at Withdean. So for Falmer to work its the "spur of the moment" fan that we will need to attract. Paying at the gate is really the only answer and I cant see why it cant be achieved with a sustainable transport policy.

Keep the price of tickets all the same whether you use the transport element of it or not, but really clamp down (literally) on illegal parkers. Falmer and Moulsecomb could quite eaily be resident only parkers.

But as I said, winning back the support is the main thing and adding them to the core. We really need to make Falmer attractive and that includes ease of access. Having a decent team might help as well.

Many peaople play sat football who would like to watch the albion on a sat if they have a game called off in the morning - alas no chance of getting a ticket without great hassle.

Kinky Gerbils said:
A Yes a winger that cant cross,How usefull :lolol: :jester:

Cameron has more to his game that assists
At least you're back to what you're best at here. Trashing our players.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Kinky Gerbils said:

90s era 'Loudmouth' fans helped to oust the old board

00s era 'Loudmouth' fans are demanding the club spend money that they can't afford to spend or waste.

To compare the two eras is plain stupid./

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
At least you're back to what you're best at here. Trashing our players.

Quite, but I guess you would never do that would you? to fair up Mcghees arse - I guess you were still trying to work out HOW IT WAS NOT Mcghees selections/ tactics when the final whistle went :dunce:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

BarrelofFun said:
90s era 'Loudmouth' fans helped to oust the old board

00s era 'Loudmouth' fans are demanding the club spend money that they can't afford to spend or waste.

To compare the two eras is plain stupid./

Maybe LI should think of better terms to use then?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Maybe LI should think of better terms to use then?

I started to post that a while ago, but had to do something in the middle. Hence I didn't see LIs post. I can edit it, if you want?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

BarrelofFun said:
I started to post that a while ago, but had to do something in the middle. Hence I didn't see LIs post. I can edit it, if you want?

dont worry!

The real gist of the McGhee comments in the Argus this morning is to damp our expectations about signing GNW. It seems to me that even if we could somehow persuade Burnley to part with him for a reasonable sum, his wage demands would be too much of a burden on our necessarily reduced budget.

It's another blow for McGhee who probably found the player who could get us back up straight away but due to our financial circumstances is not going to be allowed to hold on to him. Frankly, how anyone in football would envy his job is beyond me :(

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
The real gist of the McGhee comments in the Argus this morning is to damp our expectations about signing GNW. It seems to me that even if we could somehow persuade Burnley to part with him for a reasonable sum, his wage demands would be too much of a burden on our necessarily reduced budget.

It's another blow for McGhee who probably found the player who could get us back up straight away but due to our financial circumstances is not going to be allowed to hold on to him. Frankly, how anyone in football would envy his job is beyond me :(

Because he has the safest job in football?

Kinky Gerbils said:
Quite, but I guess you would never do that would you? to fair up Mcghees arse - I guess you were still trying to work out HOW IT WAS NOT Mcghees selections/ tactics when the final whistle went :dunce:

If you pay attention, you'd see I disagree with McGhee's selections fairly regularly and also criticise players.
But I guess because I don't do in a shrill immature way, or with the kind of supreme arrogance that says that if things had been done my way, Brighton would have definitely won, then you just don't notice those points I make. Plus ca change.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Because he has the safest job in football?

More rubbish - we all know that there will be heavy expectations of success for the team next season and his job will be threatened unless he make visible progress.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
More rubbish - we all know that there will be heavy expectations of success for the team next season and his job will be threatened unless he make visible progress.

As TLO Said (much to mine and most peoples upset) the club will not sack him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Irish said:

I don't think anybody in their right minds would expect GNW to sign for us especially now but people need to realise how short of cash we are.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I wouldnt advocate 'breaking the bank' but I think the club were prepared for relegation this year by not splashing out as much as they could. It was plain for all to see. GNW was not too little but certainly too late.

I have lost count of the number of times that people have said the £200k we paid for El Turi is peanuts compared to CCC fees and wages etc for example.

But I firmly believe that the squad we had was just about good enough to stay up this year, but due to bad management on the playing side of things we have paid the price. Thats my view and I am entitled to it.

However whilst we may "lose £1m" or whatever I think that the board were prepared for relegation.

Last edited:

Dies Irae said:
Look at the area around Withdean on matchdays. i am sorry but it is full of cars.
A fair comment about Withdean - where hundreds of people seem to park close to the ground - and get away with it, because it's a voluntary parking scheme. Costing the Club a severe financial penalty, incidentally.

But EXACTLY WHERE do you think people will be able to park their cars close to Falmer?

On the A27?

In Falmer Village (which now has a controlled parking scheme, complete with traffic wardens and hefty fines)?

On the Woodingdean Road (where it will be the easiest of things to extend the Falmer Village controlled parking scheme, with hefty fines)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here