Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dies Irae said:
That is a damning inditement on our support and forms exactly the argument LDC and FDC are saying that we have not got the core 20k support to fill a stadium therefore it cannot be in the national interest.

We haven't but over the first few years of Falmer we'll have to rebuild it. LDC can f*** off as I still think it has got f*** all to do with them and they are gonna lose eventually anyway.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think you are right, however looking at the clubs who have brand spanking new stadiums does not exsure sudden influx of fans - especially if those fans cannot pay on the turnstiles.

we were having this discussion in the pub on Friday night afetr the concert and most people said they were looking forward to seeing the new ground and going " back" to watch Brighton. Whe the conversation got on to ticketting, almost to a man when I said that you would have to buy tickets at the railway station or outlets before the game, people said that was exactly why they didnt go to Withdean, ie the hassle factor. we have to encourage those who make their mind up to go at 2 o/clock on a saturday, not put them off by telling them they will have to buy a ticket first.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Makes you wonder why McGhee signed Kazim-Richards in the first place if he thinks he needs someone like Noel-Williams in the side in order to make a player out of him.

Of course, I can only judge from a distance, but the Kazim-Richards transfer appeared baffling at the time. Albion were so obviously crying out for an experienced target man, but instead the Coca Cola money was spent on an untried youngster.

A long-term prospect he may be - the boy's obviously got talent, as his goal at Ninian Park demonstrated - but if relegation is going to cost Albion £1 million, then was he a wise investment?

That's probably fair comment. But I guess it comes back to the fact that we're not really in a position to attract someone of sufficient quality over a long enough period. £250k is fine for a season, but then what? Most players would be looking for at least a 2 year deal.

Any player we take on in that position has to be some sort of gamble - given Noel-Wiliams' injury problems, he's potentially a bit of a gamble too.

CKR certainly has the potential to be a championship level striker and given our resources our outlook HAS to be long-term.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Icy Gull said:
:clap2: excellent I just KNEW it would become McGhee's fault somewhere down the line. Desperate times indeed :lol:

When were we linked to a player that would come to play for Magoo but the Board would not stump-up (reasonable) money to pay for them? Or, was it that Magoo new it would be a waste of time. Either way, the Board and Magoo are both to blame for us getting relegated without a fight! :nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The financial losses relegation would bring was banded about on here a lot during the season but was pooh poohed by the DK ' can't do any wrong brigade'

Now MM is saying that it is inevitable that as a result of the relegation some of the players will be leaving and we will have to rely on youth coming through.

Ultimately if a company fails to perform there is a limit to how many times you can change the 'workers' before somebody starts looking higher up the ladder.

I would agree about the fact that we don't have a hard core support to fill a 20k stadium I have always maintained that the capacity that we are aiming for is wrong. 22500 is way above what we would get in Div 1 or at the bottom of the championship but is insufficient if we have ambition of progressing to the top of the championship or premiership.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
BensGrandad said:
I have always maintained that the capacity that we are aiming for is wrong. 22500 is way above what we would get in Div 1 or at the bottom of the championship but is insufficient if we have ambition of progressing to the top of the championship or premiership.

So, in summary, you think a 22,500 capacity is too high, or too low.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think Dicky boy tight has just been to much of a miser this season along with Mcgoons tactical cock ups have combined in the result of relegation.

On teh bright side i should make plenty of away games next season - League one is more like the Lancashire/Yorkshire Aliance.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's ok to think of a huge man up front occasionally knocking one in and physically disturbing defenders, but wouldn't it be nice to have a striker with skill and daring scope?
Yes we do need a decent front man to form a partnership with the talented CK, but we could also do with a winger or midfielder with invention and endevour. All sorts should and can be done. I hope McGhee forms a team and maintains it so it can battle together as well as laugh on weekdays.

Black N Tan

Jan 28, 2006
West London
Re: Re: Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Makes you wonder why McGhee signed Kazim-Richards in the first place if he thinks he needs someone like Noel-Williams in the side in order to make a player out of him.

Of course, I can only judge from a distance, but the Kazim-Richards transfer appeared baffling at the time. Albion were so obviously crying out for an experienced target man, but instead the Coca Cola money was spent on an untried youngster.

A long-term prospect he may be - the boy's obviously got talent, as his goal at Ninian Park demonstrated - but if relegation is going to cost Albion £1 million, then was he a wise investment?
What a stupid question. Buying known hasbeens are good for 1 year, then, when they are over the hill you are left with nothing, you can't even get a return on your money. A wonderful use of limited resourses. Look at the example set by Birmingham, signed every known player not wanted by anyone else, cost a fortune, get relegated. In our position we have to be shrewed in the transfer market and encourage youth, answer Colin Kazim-Richards.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
mmmm, I still think we need to understand, we had money for players, we needed players who could help us to stay up, many of the ideal players have been mentioned on here, Wise etc.

But,

and I think we need to get this into our heads,

Those players have been to the Withdean.
They have experienced the portakabin changing rooms.
They have seen the away their fans are seated in Hampshire (formerly Lewis)
They have experienced the couldron of atmposphere generated in a stadium with no roof and temporary seating.

They DO NOT WANT TO COME HERE for the sort of money we are able to offer, and probably wouldn't come here regardless of the money if they're playing in the reserves for The Blades and being paid a comfortable living.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think next seasons transfer policy has already been revealed by the record number of contracts handed out to sign all the youth teamers up a couple of months back. We can all look forward to an awful lot of "ones for the future" flooding into the first team next season, whether they're ready or not.

It'll be CKR and Gatting up front on the opening day. I'd lay money on it.

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Dies Irae said:
I think you are right, however looking at the clubs who have brand spanking new stadiums does not exsure sudden influx of fans - especially if those fans cannot pay on the turnstiles.

we were having this discussion in the pub on Friday night afetr the concert and most people said they were looking forward to seeing the new ground and going " back" to watch Brighton. Whe the conversation got on to ticketting, almost to a man when I said that you would have to buy tickets at the railway station or outlets before the game, people said that was exactly why they didnt go to Withdean, ie the hassle factor. we have to encourage those who make their mind up to go at 2 o/clock on a saturday, not put them off by telling them they will have to buy a ticket first.

That's the big big thing about Falmer, if and when it's finished it must be easily accesable to the masses. All this buying tickets in advance is a pain in the backside. That's what people loved about the goldstone roll up on the day pay your £6 and in the North stand you went.

I know for a fact many that won't bother of tickets need to be bought in advance.

How many people will bum around on a saturday morning and about lunchtime fancy heading over to see the Albion only to think "shit i haven't got a ticket, i can'y be bolloxed to get one in advance now"

This really needs sorting.

At the Galpharm it's pay on the gate and against Barnsley the other week they had 19k the usually get about 11k a match.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But we could have spent 500k on a striker and still got relegated which means u lose 1.5 mil instead of 1 mil. And we just couldn't afford to take a half a million quid gamble. simple as that.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Easy 10 said:
I think next seasons transfer policy has already been revealed by the record number of contracts handed out to sign the youth teamers up a couple of months back. We can all look forward to an awful lot of "ones for the future" flooding into the first team next season, whether they're ready or not.

It'll be CKR and Gatting up front on the opening day. I'd lay money on it.

I do hope you're right. Have them spend some of the summer together. They can holiday and share girls and boys at experiments with glue and booze. When they return they become fit and form a friendship in one team. They tell the others what to do and alert everyone to when they'll run. I like the thought of them. Desire, trust, alliance, curlers, bingo.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If this 1m is true then it makes a mockery of our spending and noises coming out the club, if mcghee had been given 700k to attract 2 players it would of saved us 1m in the long run !!!

I think alot of this is coming out to soften us up for no summer signings and a few sales.

As Easy says I expect we'll line up with Gatting and CKR up front next year, if we do then the best we can hope for will be mid table

Very depressing

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
MB you cheer up the darkest of days

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Goring Gull said:
That's the big big thing about Falmer, if and when it's finished it must be easily accesable to the masses. All this buying tickets in advance is a pain in the backside. That's what people loved about the goldstone roll up on the day pay your £6 and in the North stand you went.

I know for a fact many that won't bother of tickets need to be bought in advance.

How many people will bum around on a saturday morning and about lunchtime fancy heading over to see the Albion only to think "shit i haven't got a ticket, i can'y be bolloxed to get one in advance now"

This really needs sorting.

I thought that your would be able to pay on the day when we move to Falmer. But only at Brighton Station, therefore ensuring a better chance that you use the train to the ground, and not drive.

I may be wrong, but that is what I thought I heard. So you will indeed be able to mooch around of a Saturday morning and decide to go to the game at the last minute.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But that is what I am getting at.

What about all those people who will come by car and be dropped off.

Everyone thinks that people will toe the line and use Public transport......they wont. Its crap. Trying to get a bus to the park and ride has shown that......I do not know why the club persist in this nonsence.

Look at the area around Withdean on matchdays. i am sorry but it is full of cars.

The more hassle you present to people the less likely they are to be arsed and that is the issue about getting people back to support us.

Why was the gate 1500 less on easter Monday? Because people couldn't get tickets. If people could turn up, we would have filled the place. And when they did organise tickets for the game by phoning in, no-one from the club had the brains to get the ticket machjine over to the ground to print the things off so leaving the staff to get abused by people not getting tickets to go through the turnstiles till 30 minutes gone in the first half. It smacks of a mickky mouse club and mickey mouse organisation

I am getting pissed off to the back teeth on being told what I can and can't do just to watch my football team.

And I am not alone

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here