Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BOYCOTT the MK Dons friendly

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Tom Hark said:
Have you been in a coma for the last ten years? :rolleyes:

No, just bored and tired of people saying boycott this, do this, do that.

I will do what I Like, I support the Albion, if I want to go to MK I Will. I think it is absurd that someone takes the time to write to MP asking him to cancel the fixture!

Dandyman said:
If you want I could drag out the old fanzines in which people welcomed Belotti taking charge of the running on the club...

The FA were shit during most of our problems but what they never did was allow a fake club to use our name to set up a new club 70 miles from our home and cheat another club out of a place in professional football.

Erm the FA was quite prepared to let Brighton play in Gillingham. Besides under legal scretiny the FA had no basis to stop the dons from moving.

As for Bellotti, Yes people swallowed his lies, but when uncovered we didn't abandon the club in our time of need.

I think we should draw a line under the difference of opinion here (besides I'm off on hols tomorrow).

You may heral d AFC fans as hero's, my opinion will always differ. I'll never forgive AFC fans for abandoning their club as I know how hard I fought for mine and I don't believe they came anywhere close making the sacrifices or effort to fight for their club like we did. They killed their club by their lack of action, and then saw it off by starting afresh.

We saved ours and their history could have read the same.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
bhanutz said:

I will do what I Like, I support the Albion, if I want to go to MK I Will. I think it is absurd that someone takes the time to write to MP asking him to cancel the fixture!
:clap: well said

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So lets follow the Wimbledon saga and compare this to Brighton.

Falmer looks iffy, new decision says Falmer not the right place, lets look further afield. Lets take the Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes, now lets start looking for brown field sites that Brighton can build on. They obviously dont have any issues with MK Dons as they play them in a pre season friendly.

I say boycott the match. I will be. I know that after 10 years people are still backing our Falmer campaign, but we should tell the real Wimbledon fans that we dont care any more and they should all go to Milton Keynes every week!

What happened to FANS UNITED WE'LL NEVER BE DEFEATED?

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Hats off to Martin Perry

I came into work this morning to find a personal reply to my email to Martin, which in all fairness explains the club's position. I will still, like many others will NOT attend the MK Dons match, but I take back some of my anger against our club for this fixture. Thanks Martin for the courtesy and time to explain.

The email reads:

Nic

I am sorry but needs must. We needed to replace the Swindon game otherwise there would have been a serious gap in pre-season preparations and getting the team into the best shape for the campaign ahead has to take precedence for us.

The gate is split after costs so MK Dons will not make anything out of it and by no means does it mean that we support franchising because we do not. In fairness the people now running MK Dons are not the people that rode roughshod over the comments made by all of us at the Football League so it is hard for us to turn down an opportunity like this.

You will be aware that we have made strenuous efforts to secure a game for Kerry's testimonial unsuccessfully and the chances of securing a replacement for the friendly against MK Dons are practically nil.

If it is poorly supported then so be it but on this occasion the needs of the players must take precedence.

Kind regards

Martin Perry

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Mr Blobby said:
So lets follow the Wimbledon saga and compare this to Brighton.

Falmer looks iffy, new decision says Falmer not the right place, lets look further afield. Lets take the Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes, now lets start looking for brown field sites that Brighton can build on. They obviously dont have any issues with MK Dons as they play them in a pre season friendly.

I say boycott the match. I will be. I know that after 10 years people are still backing our Falmer campaign, but we should tell the real Wimbledon fans that we dont care any more and they should all go to Milton Keynes every week!

What happened to FANS UNITED WE'LL NEVER BE DEFEATED?

Well said, mate.

For those that think it is only us that care about this, QPR fans also objected to their club playing Franchise...

http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/main/newsarticle.asp?id=94

MK Dons Friendly fixture
June 19, 2006

After learning about the friendly fixture with MK Dons we sent the following letter to the club.

Dear Sheila

On logging on to see if there were any news about QPR following a busy day in court, then rushing back to watch the England game in time, I was very disappointed, along with my Trust management Board colleagues, to read about the scheduled game with Franchise FC for July 15th.

We can appreciate that a game needed to be slotted in following the cancellation of the Brentford match, but why oh why this particular 'club', especially considering some of the history from 2001? Whilst, obviously it's down to each and every QPR fan as a personal choice as to whether or not they decide to go to this game, due to the emotive factors surrounding this club, it would be a shame for those QPR fans opting to boycott the game to miss out on seeing the lads play before they go off on the Italy tour, so bearing this in mind, would it not be at all possible for your good self and/or the club to see if there are any other clubs (local if possible) available that day who would be able to accommodate us?

Please try to do your utmost regarding finding alternative opposition for that date and if you need any help with this at all then please don't hesitate in asking us to help out as I am sure we can find people to ring up a few clubs if necessary.

Kind regards

Tracy
Co ordinator
QPR 1st

Dandyman said:
Well said, mate.

For those that think it is only us that care about this, QPR fans also objected to their club playing Franchise...

http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/main/newsarticle.asp?id=94

If I remember correctly then Colchester also cancelled an MK Dons friendly following pressure from fans.

And I know that Histon FC (a Conference South team from Cambridge) also called off a MK Dons friendly recently following an outcry from fans.

And Luton cancelled one last year too.

So it isn't just Brighton fans that still take Franchising seriously, it is most fans who believe that something underhand happened here - they are in no mood to forgive and forget.

There but for the grace of God go we.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There's no way I'd ever consider watching this and it's shameful that we're choosing to play MK Dons. Poor.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
bhanutz said:

we have a WINNER:clap:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I understand the sentiment involved and i certainly wouldn't choose to play MK Dons.

However the interests of the team need to come first and we need to play the fixture.

It is up to us whether we wish to boycott the game... i will not go but in some cases what happens now with MK Dons is irrelvant as whats done is done...pherhaps more should have been done before.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think there is a lot of mis-directed anger on this thread.

The situation is fairly straightforward;

1. Franchising is bad. Averyone agrees. The clubs including ours campaigned against it at the time and failed to stop it.

2. The group who instigated the move were bad men. The original plan I seem to remember was to relocate to Dublin. The Dons were at the time of the original plans, in the Prem, and these c*nts saw waterfalls of money coming their way as the millions of Irish Liverpool and United fans fought for tickets.

3. Wimbledon are dead, and reborn. By all means support AFC in any way you see fit. Certainly do not accuse them of apathy. They may not have taken your own chosen route, but setting up a new club would have take a huge effort.

4. MK Dons are a new club. You don't have to like them. You don't have to go there. Through my line of work, I have seen their new stadium, btw, and believe me many of you will be queuing to go there - it is awesome. Not convinced of the wisdom of sharing a car park with an IKEA on a Saturday though!

5. The people in charge now are not the same group that instigated the move. Pete Winkleman seems a decent guy, who is doing what he is doing, for Milton Keynes, not through any spiteful grudge against the good folk of Merdon.

As for Friday, I don't think any Wimbledon fans will really mind if any of you go or not, but they will be greatly reassured that we are all at least aware enough to think about it all.

If anyone is going by the way, Brighton to MK could take up to 4 hours on a Friday afternoon, the Hockey Stadium is totally sterile, and there are no pubs nearby [except a TGI Friday's about 4 roundabouts along]. If you do go, have a great time!

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
To be frank the whole thing smacks of a shambles. What happened to the Hastings game that was suppossed to be part of the Loft deal ? If we are desperate for pre-season games would the likes of Southend or Torquay not give us a game ?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
captainmorganrum said:
If I remember correctly then Colchester also cancelled an MK Dons friendly following pressure from fans.

And I know that Histon FC (a Conference South team from Cambridge) also called off a MK Dons friendly recently following an outcry from fans.

And Luton cancelled one last year too.

So it isn't just Brighton fans that still take Franchising seriously, it is most fans who believe that something underhand happened here - they are in no mood to forgive and forget.

There but for the grace of God go we.

Ipswich also chose to cancel a friendly with MK Dons after pressure from their fans

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dandyman said:
To be frank the whole thing smacks of a shambles. What happened to the Hastings game that was suppossed to be part of the Loft deal ? If we are desperate for pre-season games would the likes of Southend or Torquay not give us a game ?

Hastings would hardly have been a challenging game and people would have moaned that we are not testing ourselves in pre-season.

Regarding other sides, you have to pressume that most had their pre-season plans organised a while back and this MK Dons game has only come about due to Swindon pulling out of the game at Withdean.

Beggars cannot be choicers I guess and it is a new ground....

Albion Rob

Another Berkshire Seagull said:
Erm the FA was quite prepared to let Brighton play in Gillingham. Besides under legal scretiny the FA had no basis to stop the dons from moving.

As for Bellotti, Yes people swallowed his lies, but when uncovered we didn't abandon the club in our time of need.

I think we should draw a line under the difference of opinion here (besides I'm off on hols tomorrow).

You may heral d AFC fans as hero's, my opinion will always differ. I'll never forgive AFC fans for abandoning their club as I know how hard I fought for mine and I don't believe they came anywhere close making the sacrifices or effort to fight for their club like we did. They killed their club by their lack of action, and then saw it off by starting afresh.

We saved ours and their history could have read the same.

I've got to say, I agree with a lot of that.

I felt for the people of South East London who care(d) for the Dons and were gutted to see them go but clearly enough people didn't care and they moved - they were sometime pulling in less than 6,000 for Premiership games for Christ's sake. The money men saw them as an easy picking and that's what they were. Money talked louder than red card protests and Wimbledon FC packed their bags.

Now, there are some paralells with our situation here. In my opiniom, enoguh people cared about the club to save it from obilvion but not enough people in Sussex care enough for the stadium to be pushed through. Clearly a massie percentage of people in Lewes don't give a shit because otherwise the Lib Dems wouldn't be acting in the way they are - they'd be six miles from Championship and one day Premiership football for crying out loud.

Neither situation would have been allowed to happen 'oop North but sadly there IS a certain apathy amongst people (not football fans as I happen to think fans in the South are among the best, look at us, Pompey, Plymouth etc) towards football and football clubs. It's a tough battle and as we found out, it sometimes needs the most extreme measures.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Albion Rob said:
I've got to say, I agree with a lot of that.

I felt for the people of South East London who care(d) for the Dons and were gutted to see them go but clearly enough people didn't care and they moved - they were sometime pulling in less than 6,000 for Premiership games for Christ's sake. The money men saw them as an easy picking and that's what they were. Money talked louder than red card protests and Wimbledon FC packed their bags.

Now, there are some paralells with our situation here. In my opiniom, enoguh people cared about the club to save it from obilvion but not enough people in Sussex care enough for the stadium to be pushed through. Clearly a massie percentage of people in Lewes don't give a shit because otherwise the Lib Dems wouldn't be acting in the way they are - they'd be six miles from Championship and one day Premiership football for crying out loud.

Neither situation would have been allowed to happen 'oop North but sadly there IS a certain apathy amongst people (not football fans as I happen to think fans in the South are among the best, look at us, Pompey, Plymouth etc) towards football and football clubs. It's a tough battle and as we found out, it sometimes needs the most extreme measures.

you will probably have the self rightous brigade on you for that , however I think that is probably one of the best posts on here for many a time.

shame on you:)

Personnally, I believe the Club could have done a lot more to find an alternative FFS there are not another 90 League clubs playing that night.

Howevr, our Club at the moment is a business, it does not have the remit of a Community club with an ethical agenda.

I believe people are getting confused between club and fans here!

For the Club this is not really a big deal. Its it a prematch friendly againgst another club.

For the Fans this is different. It is us - fans -especially people such as "on the left wing" who supported other fans in their plight againgst their clubs!

Clubs don't boycott matches WE DO!

You can do a LIz and go with a Banner or don't turn up for what ever reason!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here