Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BOYCOTT the MK Dons friendly

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
supaseagull said:
Anyone true supporter - and I use that phrase carefully - cannot honestly say they are not bothered by this!!!!!

FFS here we go again.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Boycott!!!!!

FFS, like Brightonwould have 60 there for a pre season friendly

This boycott is serious!!!

If it was a league match maybe more grounds for it, but a pre season friendly ffs get a life

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Curious Orange said:
Sorry mate, I would NEVER go to Milton Keynes for a game, but I'm not going to harrass my club about it.

I agree with this. I'd never darken their doors and quite understand the boycott argument.

But if we need pre season friendlies and through circumstances we don't know about (bungling in the club?) can't find anyone else then I think we just have to let the club get on with it.

This wouldn't happen in an ideal world and I'm not happy about it at all; but.....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
cardboard said:
Boycott!!!!!

FFS, like Brightonwould have 60 there for a pre season friendly

This boycott is serious!!!

If it was a league match maybe more grounds for it, but a pre season friendly ffs get a life

We would have no choice to play them if it were a league match. Being a friendly makes it worse.

Dandyman

In London village.
On the Left Wing said:
I ask all right-minded Albion supporters to boycott this friendly and show solidarity with FC Wimbledon and the supporters of the former Wimbledon FC

This is the email I have sent to MP

Those that agree, may I suggest you send something similar:

Dear Martin

As a die-hard Brighton and Hove Albion supporter, who has followed the Seagulls through good and bad times I am angry to discover that the club I love has arranged a pre-season fixture against MK Dons at the National Hockey Stadium on 28 July.

The history of the former Wimbledon FC is well documented.

I do not wish a penny of my money to benefit MK Dons by way of gate receipts or ancilliary purchases at their ground. Therefore I will be boycotting this fixture.

I ask that in order to avoid a major PR gaffe you cancel the friendly with MK Dons, forthwith

Yours sincerely

:clap: Very crass decision to have a friendly against Franchise FC, IMO.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Easy 10 said:
Its just a meaningless friendly fixture on the pre-season calender, not a declaration of solidarity with MK Dons and how they came about. What'll we do when we play them in the league some time in the future, boycott that as well on principle ?

Knowing half the wankers on here yes and go and watch AFC Wimbledon instead. For f*** sake support the Albion

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the Left Wing said:
Easy - you seem to have missed the point

That would be a fixture we would HAVE to play

this friendly is a fixture we have CHOSEN to play
So our boycotting of this basically boils down to the relative"importantance" of the game then ? Only a small minority would bother with this game anyway, but what if (playing devils advocate here), we had MK Dons away on the final day of the season in a promotion or (more likely) relegation 6-pointer ? I don't think people would be staying away in their droves somehow.

We're playing them in a friendly - whether we've chosen to play them or whether we have to play them ultimately shouldn't have any bearing on peoples decision to go to this game or not, if its the principle we're talking about.

Would you honestly still stay away from this fixture if it happened to be a massively important one for the Albion ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Easy 10 said:
So our boycotting of this basically boils down to the relative"importantance" of the game then ? Only a small minority would bother with this game anyway, but what if (playing devils advocate here), we had MK Dons away on the final day of the season in a promotion or (more likely) relegation 6-pointer ? I don't think people would be staying away in their droves somehow.

We're playing them in a friendly - whether we've chosen to play them or whether we have to play them ultimately shouldn't have any bearing on peoples decision to go to this game or not, if its the principle we're talking about.

Would you honestly still stay away from this fixture if it happened to be a massively important one for the Albion ?

I would. But it's the fact that we have arranged the game that makes it worse, not it's importance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
dougdeep said:
I would. But it's the fact that we have arranged the game that makes it worse, not it's importance.
We need games. The Albion isn't proving anything or achieving anything by ignoring MK Dons - nor are they endorsing them by playing them. Its just a friendly, they've been a Football League club for 3 or 4 years now. I just don't see what the fuss is about.

Wimbledon FC is dead. It wasn't killed by MK Dons - it was killed by its own fans apathy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I went to the first AFC game at Sutton. I wasn't on some pilgrimage, I just heard about it on the radio and popped down a few miles to see it.

Coincidently I bumbed into a Wimbledon fan who I had met a few years earlier on a train. We were coming back from a Brighton game and he from a Dons game. He was saying then that the club was dead, and this was even before the move away from London was cut and dried.

There was nothing he could do.

( I not sure about the apathy argument. 4,500 fans turned up to game I was at Sutton. )

Anyway - he felt that he had got his club back.

Living in London and seeing the coverage of AFC in the local press it honestly feels to me that the team is Wimbledon. Just the same club who had unfortunately been the victim of an isolated case of identity theft.

I understand there are movements for the South London Club to retrieve their history from the new club in Milton Keynes. This includes medals, shields etc..

When this happens (and the Milton Keynes club accept they are a new club and their relationship with the Wimbledon of old is incidental), I might consider going there.

I can't wait for their first match together, although I suspect they may pass each other through the leagure before that happens.

Last edited:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
supaseagull said:
How can anyone sit behind their computer and say they are not that bothered about this - it stinks...Anyone true supporter - and I use that phrase carefully - cannot honestly say they are not bothered by this!!!!!

How would we feel if all the other supporters around the world just say they 'weren't bothered' about Brighton not having a ground....You lot are hypocrites - OTLW I'm with you!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Well said!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Liz Costa was saying today that they (The Supporters Club or whatever) would go to MK Dons for a first team game but they would have a anti-Franchise protest of some sort. That is probably the way forward.

However it would take a lot to make me give cash to MK Dons. If that makes me a 'Super Fan' or a 'Bad Fan' I don't really give a shit because its my life, my money and the opinion of a random behind a keyboard doesn't really bother me - got a problem? Fine, have one, not my problem.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So how long are these boycotts of Milton keynes going to go on for?

Down the generations?

Untill what is acheived exactley?

Its over, wimbldon fans who I do feel sorry for took the wrong strategy and lost.

time to move on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wasn't going anyway so there :p

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Should we have encouraged away fans to boycott the Albion when Archer and Belotti ruled? Should we have stayed away from the Goldstone?

I can't see how we would make any difference staying away. If you really want to make a point - go and get behind the Albion AND make your feelings known about the Franchise.

I would rather we get some decent practice against a league side, than a pub team from the Hubba Bubba league.

Ps: How many clubs voted to kick us out of the football league?

On the Man Utd topic - Man Utd were owned by money men and sold to money men. Their finances were swelled by floating on the stock market.....Were they complaining then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Turkey said:
Liz Costa was saying today that they (The Supporters Club or whatever) would go to MK Dons for a first team game but they would have a anti-Franchise protest of some sort. That is probably the way forward.

However it would take a lot to make me give cash to MK Dons. If that makes me a 'Super Fan' or a 'Bad Fan' I don't really give a shit because its my life, my money and the opinion of a random behind a keyboard doesn't really bother me - got a problem? Fine, have one, not my problem.
I wasn't going to FIGHT you over it ;)
How was the meal by the way ? My ribs were fabulous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here