Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Born and Bred". "100% English".

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
er, when it comes to determining which NATIONAL team you support, i would have thought the nationality that you consider yourself would have a teensy weensy bearing on your decision ? perhaps you can suggest something else ?

so, as an example, all the Irish that now live in England should support England? Is that correct ?

why only National anyway ? Seems to me a very thin argument - surely, if you say have kids who are born/live in a certain area, then by your logic, they should support that local side? Or is it that parents roots/ideas/team support etc are passed on to their kids?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
so, as an example, all the Irish that now live in England should support England? Is that correct ?

why only National anyway ? Seems to me a very thin argument - surely, if you say have kids who are born/live in a certain area, then by your logic, they should support that local side? Or is it that parents roots/ideas/team support etc are passed on to their kids?
try to read my post and slough seagull's post slowly so you can take it all in, he was born and raised here , so yes if he considered himself english he would support england, he obviously doesnt , as he supports pakistan, and i know more than enough people of irish parentage that were born and raised here but wouldnt dream of supporting england, as thjey dont consider themselves english, thats the beauty of multi culturalism for you, if say, i moved to australia, i still wouldnt support them, im english and always will be , i would be grateful of the opportunity that moving there had offered me and i wouldnt keep banging on about my wonderful country i had left behind (otherwise why would i have moved there ?) and i would consider my children to be australian, the same should apply to pakistanis etc here . Is that clear enough for you ?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
try to read my post and slough seagull's post slowly so you can take it all in, he was born and raised here , so yes if he considered himself english he would support england, he obviously doesnt , as he supports pakistan, and i know more than enough people of irish parentage that were born and raised here but wouldnt dream of supporting england, as thjey dont consider themselves english, thats the beauty of multi culturalism for you, if say, i moved to australia, i still wouldnt support them, im english and always will be , i would be grateful of the opportunity that moving there had offered me and i wouldnt keep banging on about my wonderful country i had left behind (otherwise why would i have moved there ?) and i would consider my children to be australian, the same should apply to pakistanis etc here . Is that clear enough for you ?

how convinient - once again you fail to actually answer the question....

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

or maybe, just maybe that he considers hismself English but enjoys supporting Pakistan because that is where his roots are ? It is not exactly rocket science mate....It is just one massive assumption after another isn't it ? You can actually have dual nationality you know...does Kevin Peitersen not support England ? I expect mate that in other sports, he supports SA...but that is my assumption!

You may have been able to trace certain lines of your ancestry back to 1800 living in Sussex and always having done so, but follow all 128 or so threads that make up your gene pool from around 1800 and I can guarantee you won't be 100% Sussex.

And on that point, is 1800 the cut off before which we can ignore ancestry? We might ignore it but we can't remove it. Therefore it does bring us back to the original question - what does 100% mean?
I've done a lot of research into my own family history and managed to get information about most of my 32 great great great grandparents. They turn out to be a mixture of English, Irish and Scottish folk, with descendants who have moved all over the world. I guess the same would apply to most families.

One of the contacts I've made in the last couple of weeks is a fourth cousin in Middlesbrough, who is tracing her family tree. We share a great great great grandfather and grandmother - so there is a case for saying that we share quite a lot of the same "born and bredness". The same surely applies to her kids and my kids.

But her children's father is a guy (also born in Middlesbrough), called Mohammed Shakeel Asghar. Does this mean that my fourth cousin's kids suddenly have a different born and bredness from my kids?

Of course not. And I doubt if it makes any difference if Shak (as he's known) supports another cricket team.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
or maybe, just maybe that he considers hismself English but enjoys supporting Pakistan because that is where his roots are ? It is not exactly rocket science mate....It is just one massive assumption after another isn't it ? You can actually have dual nationality you know...does Kevin Peitersen not support England ? I expect mate that in other sports, he supports SA...but that is my assumption!

KP is not the best example. The Zola Budd of cricket. You never had that feeling with Lamby or the Hicks, the sheer insincerity.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
kevin pietersen considers himself south african, he has said so , he has also said that the decision to play for england was partly influenced by financial aspects, you support the national team of the nationality you consider yourself, your argument, not to put too fine a point on it , is bollocks.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm wondering how Bushy is going to police his nationality test. Will there be vans travelling around Crawley and Bolton during England/Pakistan test matches to check up on people?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
think the green crescent flags and pakistan shirts give it away a bit.

So what happens, do the loyalty police ask them to produce a brith certificate

"Alright sir you were born in Lahore carry on, but I'm a fraid I'm going to have to take your son to the nick on suspicion of supporting a country he wasn't born in"

Also does it only count when teams are playing England?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Moved my mum out last year. We were nearer Eastern Road and Colebrook so grew up having right laughs in the old railway station & Bus depot. We used to try & move the buses around if we could get them started. How we never got caught or killed still amazes me today. Can you still get in the tunnel?

The tunnel on the freshfield trading estate? not sure about that 1,if you mean the tunnel up the race hill then yes still use it as a cut through now n then

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So what happens, do the loyalty police ask them to produce a brith certificate

"Alright sir you were born in Lahore carry on, but I'm a fraid I'm going to have to take your son to the nick on suspicion of supporting a country he wasn't born in"

Also does it only count when teams are playing England?
whats your point ? i have merely stated opinions and facts, i havent advocated anything regarding loyalty police etc .

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
someone born in england , i dont care about their parents nationality,born in england you are english 1st british 2nd european 3rd and finally a citizen of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here