Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Born and Bred". "100% English".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So if I'm not proud of being English I'm not English? Despite all traceable ancestors being English (besides a couple scottish).

Of course he's not. I almost said "and you know it" but your demonstrable lack of British history and overwhelming urge to prove your left-wing credentials make me wonder.

Ian Wright is English. I am English. That Asian (origin) shopkeeper who refuses to serve non-english speakers is too. Why do you feel the need to try and paint English/britishness as something bad?

For the record we're a darn sight more tolerant and less racist than most countries.

To paraphrase Cecil Rhodes "to be English is to win the race in life". I still believe that to be true whether that Englishman is black, yellow, brown or white and whether or not hey were born here. If England''s your home no matter where you live then you are English.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course he's not. I almost said "and you know it" but your demonstrable lack of British history and overwhelming urge to prove your left-wing credentials make me wonder.

Ian Wright is English. I am English. That Asian (origin) shopkeeper who refuses to serve non-english speakers is too. Why do you feel the need to try and paint English/britishness as something bad?

For the record we're a darn sight more tolerant and less racist than most countries.

To paraphrase Cecil Rhodes "to be English is to win the race in life". I still believe that to be true whether that Englishman is black, yellow, brown or white and whether or not hey were born here. If England''s your home no matter where you live then you are English.

I think you've got me VERY confused. I literally started this thread to see what everyone thought being 100% english actually meant, because it's something that I find interesting.

I'm not trying to paint it as bad at all. I agree we're extremely tolerant. And GOOD. I'm glad.

For the record he said YES, it makes me not English. Making some of your post moot.

Last edited:

My ancestry is Scottish (great-Grandad), and Cockney.
Since I'm born and raised by two native English people, one a suvvner the other a Cockney - I'm in no doubt an Englishman.

However, I don't believe you really need to be born here to feel English or British. Some immigrants bring a family to Britain and raise them in the English way. If they all desire to be English, then in my view they are welcome. Just behave, that's all I ask.
Same goes for English natives there though - if they badly misbehave, then they'd be better shipped off to Tasmania as far as I'm concerned.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Although I disagreed with most of what Norman Tebbit spouted, he did come up with the idea of The Cricket Test...

As in what country would people support when it came to cricket?

Fair indicator I would say ;)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Although I disagreed with most of what Norman Tebbit spouted, he did come up with the idea of The Cricket Test...

its all well and good everyone white and English going yeah of course you can be English if you want, to everyone. thats nice, and right.

The fact is immigration is at a rate where assimilation does not take place at any serious level. That is why multiculturalism was invented as a concept, to gloss over that very obvious fact of significant population shifts, at least short term. Its a work in progress. What annoys people is the emperors new clothes bollocks from people who supposedly know better.

Add to that many people now do not give a flying f*** about assimilating, or look backwards for their identity increasingly nowadays, and you are away.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006

Asian chap I work with - born in the UK, supports Pakistan at cricket, England at football and Man Ure... what does that tell us?

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think its how you FEEL towards the country ie some immigrants try and intergrate others live in there enclaves within this country not wishing to participate or fully intergrate.I dont understand people who come here and dont want to intergrate or learn the language.On my farthers side of the family we can trace the ourselves back to 1066 as they came over with william the Conqueror....who were in turn vikings who settled in gaul. which would make me an immigrant would it not or some kind of war like nomad.where do you stop ? I feel English and i know its wrong, but i feel more entitled to call myself english than some people but i am aware where do you stop. Beacause its possible to have a long history in one country and be anti that country it does not owe you anthing , but i feel lucky to have a long connection and history to such a great country.I feel no anger towards people who come here and are not willing to intergrate,but thats life we do it abroad it does not make it right. Its just sad people cant respect anything.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
As long as you're born in Brighton, it doesn't matter what shade or creed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here