Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Born and Bred". "100% English".

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Grew up round that way at same time as you so thought you might.

Its changed so much round there now

Yep sure has my mums still up Queensway all the flats at the top there seem to be full of druggies n the like and the woods are almost gone now,tis a shame ,was a cracking area to grow up as a lad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am proud to say that I am 100% Brighton Born and Bred.

One Grandfather of Maltese descent, all other Grandparents English.
Me, born and bred in England, so I consider myself English regardless of my mixed heritage.
As I said in another thread IMHO if you're born in England and raised in England then you're entitled to regard yourself as English or British.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you can trace your family back 500 years, that's about 20 generations. Or about half a million direct ancestors.

What small village did they live in?

Was going to make much the same point except that it is the direct line that makes up Coventrygulls genes (and therefore his "born & bred"-ness).

Cov - are you seriously suggesting that all four of your Grandparents came from Sussex, and all eight of their parents (making 12) and all 16 of their parents (making 28) and all 32 of their parents (making 60) and all 64 of their parents, and so on back 200 years? If you go back that far then you'd have a freak of statistics with over 200 people in your direct line all having come from Sussex.

You may have been able to trace certain lines of your ancestry back to 1800 living in Sussex and always having done so, but follow all 128 or so threads that make up your gene pool from around 1800 and I can guarantee you won't be 100% Sussex.

And on that point, is 1800 the cut off before which we can ignore ancestry? We might ignore it but we can't remove it. Therefore it does bring us back to the original question - what does 100% mean?

Seagull Stew

I'm 100% white, little bit of scots but basically English.

So if a pakistani family came over here illegally, then while here they had 12 kids, you would accept those 12 kids are just as English as you are and therefore have as much right to jobs/benefits etc?

If those "kids" reach an age that they are entitled to work / claim benefits then it can be assumed that they are responsible for their own actions and not the responsibility of their parents. Therefore, they should not be considered Non-British because of the illegal action of their parents!

As a Brit living in New Zealand, I consider my 2 month old daughter, who was born in NZ, to be a New Zealander but who has immediate British ancestry. She's also a Brighton & Hove Albion fan, even though she doesn't realise it yet!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Yep sure has my mums still up Queensway all the flats at the top there seem to be full of druggies n the like and the woods are almost gone now,tis a shame ,was a cracking area to grow up as a lad.

Moved my mum out last year. We were nearer Eastern Road and Colebrook so grew up having right laughs in the old railway station & Bus depot. We used to try & move the buses around if we could get them started. How we never got caught or killed still amazes me today. Can you still get in the tunnel?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
One Grandfather of Maltese descent, all other Grandparents English.
Me, born and bred in England, so I consider myself English regardless of my mixed heritage.
As I said in another thread IMHO if you're born in England and raised in England then you're entitled to regard yourself as English or British.

Most Maltese are more English than the English!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
rubbish.....assumptions, assumptions
so if pakistan had a truly competetive football team, do you think he would still support england ? i would say take your blinkers off, get over your naivete etc, but i suspect you know in your heart of hearts that what i "assume" is correct , why else would someone support a different national team than the one you were born, raised and still lived in ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
spot on bushy. you should see it when african or carribean teams are playing in the world cup. 3rd 4th even further generations all of a sudden develop an interest in it. it cracks me up, people of carribean descent support african teams and vice versa

(dont believe all this rubbish about west indians hating africans, its usually trotted out by people who have heard this 2nd hand to make themselves sound clued up, yes there is friction but when push comes to shove its them all together against whitey)

its like two fingers up at the majority, thats how its seen. I know a few who support England but f*** me most would never dream of it.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
so if pakistan had a truly competetive football team, do you think he would still support england ? i would say take your blinkers off, get over your naivete etc, but i suspect you know in your heart of hearts that what i "assume" is correct , why else would someone support a different national team than the one you were born, raised and still lived in ?

right, so you can only support a team from where you are born or live ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here