Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Born and Bred". "100% English".

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Anglo-Saxons were German, though, weren't they?! ???

Yup. And you still get Saxons there, in Niedersachsen, the northerly state that surrounds Hamburg (or "Lower Saxony" auf Englisch) as well as in Saxony-Anhalt over in the east. Not sure too many people from the bit up around Flensburg call themselves Angles anymore but I'd love to proved wrong on that. Deep down you're all krauts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
no, i wouldn't.

Do you think it's more about attitudes then? Whether they consider themselves English and are willing to integrate?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yup. And you still get Saxons there, in Niedersachsen, the northerly state that surrounds Hamburg (or "Lower Saxony" auf Englisch) as well as in Saxony-Anhalt over in the east. Not sure too many people from the bit up around Flensburg call themselves Angles anymore but I'd love to proved wrong on that. Deep down you're all krauts.

it certainly explains your sense of humour.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
it certainly explains your sense of humour.

Are you still stalking me all over this board? That's nice - certainly nicer than you wishing terminal cancer on me as you did before - someone else got banned for that so careful or you really will have nothing at all to do during the day. Now listen: I'm straight. So jog on.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Are you still stalking me all over this board? That's nice - certainly nicer than you wishing terminal cancer on me as you did before - someone else got banned for that so careful or you really will have nothing at all to do during the day. Now listen: I'm straight. So jog on.

back to work mate, the post does not do itself.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
back to work mate, the post does not do itself.

Originally Posted by Man of Harveys

have you two split up now then ??

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
I'm 100% white, little bit of scots but basically English.

So if a pakistani family came over here illegally, then while here they had 12 kids, you would accept those 12 kids are just as English as you are and therefore have as much right to jobs/benefits etc?
ofcourse i dont agree with that. if you are proud of being english and are born here legally then in my books your english, but thats only if you foot both criteria's.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Originally Posted by Man of Harveys

have you two split up now then ??

he has got custody of the iphone

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
By nationality, do you mean citizenship or lineage?

Birthplace usually determines citizenship, while lineage is determined by parentage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
ofcourse i dont agree with that. if you are proud of being english and are born here legally then in my books your english, but thats only if you foot both criteria's.

So if I'm not proud of being English I'm not English? Despite all traceable ancestors being English (besides a couple scottish).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Anglo-Saxons were German, though, weren't they?! ???

it is considered today that the "britons" were pretty much the same people as the germanic groups, with similar culture, language etc having populated the british isles in previous generations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here