Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson - Ping Pong is coming home

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you have the details of whether the 33 London boroughs want a larger London authority to take some (not all) of their decision-making systems away from them?

Apart from your imagination, that is?

No, I didnt say this is what the boroughs want. I dont know. I have simply presented my ideology, a proposal, which is that I feel greater London would be better served under a different system.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
9.35 is a relative sum of money.

When the plans first came out the were grand, and the facilities and legacy proposal excellent. Slowly they have been drawn in: stadia has been down-sized, infrastructure slowly scaled down. The games will be more expensive that when first costed. Prices of most of the building commodities have gone up and to a degree it is a bit of a stab-in-the-dark. My issue is that the public have continually winged about the cost and it will affect the quality of the games.

When the BBC did a series of interviews and a survey in China the only thing the public were concerned about was a great games and how many medals they would win...the same was done in Britain and the majority moaned about the cost...and those outside of London winged about what was in it for them.

I say spend the money, and have a decent games we can all be proud of and which will hopefully inspire younger generations.

Comparing the cost of the Beijing and London games in relative terms is ludicrous. Since when did the Chinese people give a toss about what the games cost? They live in a society where the state is supposed to provide almost everything for them. You can't say that about our society.

As Michael Johnson said 'London doesn't have to put on a Games that Beijing felt it needed to...'

In other words, theirs was a political statement way above and beyond any organisational and athletic statement. They spent £20bn without having to justify it to anyone - it doesn't work like that here.

Back here, spending money that doesn't need to be spent could have a lasting knock-on, not just financially, but for how London and Britain are perceived in the eyes of the world.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Bottom line is, its going to be here, its gonna cost us all,not just the Londoners.
So we can whinge all we want,but in the eyes of the world we all have to make it the best we can,or be seen to put on a second rate games.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
No, I didnt say this is what the boroughs want. I dont know. I have simply presented my ideology, a proposal, which is that I feel greater London would be better served under a different system.

Well I think we're all agreed that your ideology is wrong. Get over it... We all make mistakes. Boris is a legend and we're going to have an amazing olympics and that's all there is to it.. ;)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry you must have mistaken me for someone else, I have no English in me so England isn't my mother country.

I merely asked the question does he always look like a slob?

Thus not even making mention of his speech but his "I just walked out of a pub lunch" look.

Considering the size of the event and audience watching you'd think his advisors would have made sure he looked a bit more presentable than he did.

As for the results you won a massive 1 medal more than Australia, is that considered a whopping?

Still if that makes you feel proud to be English then bully for you :thumbsup:

How many more times..it's British. Not English or is it just the English that you so palpably detest?

As I explained, many British people think Boris is a genuinely funny man that seems to transcend party politics and even class. Perhaps it's a British thing that you just don't get. It might be our sense of humour, our love of the plucky underdog or it might be that actually we care more about substance than style. To be honest, the previous mayor sounds like a nasal monotone mockney and his dress style wasn't exactly haute couture either.

Tell you what, if you really don't care about Britain (you know, that "just another foreign country" that so happens to have founded your modern nation, gave it its official language, laws, most of its sports, most of its residents, its head of state that the majority of your countrymen would prefer to an Aussie president) then why don't you stop looking at forums that seem to be exclusively British.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
In the same way I dont believe people in Rottingdean (and the Rottingdean councilor) should be able to vote for things in Brighton which at present they can.

What an arrogant goon.

I think many people in Rottingdean would like to declare UDI from B&H - mainly to get shot of people like you - but its not going to happen is it ?

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Is it 'cause Boris is posh/tory or both? I don't see you complaining about England being run by a party that seems to be predominantly from inner cities, Scotland and Wales.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I personally dont think that people in the burbs should be able to vote for the mayor. They should have their own council. What goes on in the suburbs is very different to what goes on in inner-London. They clearly are worth something...as has been demonstrated. But a person in the burbs being able to influence inner-London is wrong. Conversely a person in inner-London should not be able to influence the council of other places.

In the same way I dont believe people in Rottindean (and the Rottindean councilor) should be able to vote for things in Brighton which at present they can.

What utter rubbish. They are an effective check on the idiocies of inner London politics. Livingstone in his first more radical trot guise railed against outer London councils such as Bromley in his attempts to promote his far left agenda so much, that he bought about the demise of his own GLC. The GLA works as a level of government above borough level, who still have a great degree of autonomy.

Just need to put you straight mate as what you have written is drivel.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What an arrogant goon.

I think many people in Rottingdean would like to declare UDI from B&H - mainly to get shot of people like you - but its not going to happen is it ?

exactly those people subsidise the loony excesses of Brighton council and its unlimited access to funds for benders vanity projects and the idiocy that has made the town a laughing stock and magnet for every vacuous provincial trendy and groovy londoners who advocate multiculturalism but get all jumpy when it dawns on them their kids might have to go to school with black boys and then move.

the sort of people that vote in inner london and brighton councils.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
exactly those people subsidise the loony excesses of Brighton council and its unlimited access to funds for benders vanity projects and the idiocy that has made the town a laughing stock and magnet for every vacuous provincial trendy and groovy londoners who advocate multiculturalism but get all jumpy when it dawns on them their kids might have to go to school with black boys and then move.

the sort of people that vote in inner london and brighton councils.

What a weird world you live in.
How is Brighton & Hove a laughing stock exactly?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What a weird world you live in.
How is Brighton & Hove a laughing stock exactly?

you put cringingly pretentious quotations on your avatar thingy and you say i live in a wierd world.

sorry but the whole city thing, simon fanshawe and the barcelona in britain cappachino in the north laine thing is very wanky. its a shame as it never used to be like this and real brighton still exists. but its the 'lifestyle' thing that is very cringy. but then someone who quotes betrand russell on a football website probably appreciates the mix.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
you put cringingly pretentious quotations on your avatar thingy and you say i live in a wierd world.

sorry but the whole city thing, simon fanshawe and the barcelona in britain cappachino in the north laine thing is very wanky. its a shame as it never used to be like this and real brighton still exists. but its the 'lifestyle' thing that is very cringy. but then someone who quotes betrand russell on a football website probably appreciates the mix.

What is, to you, The Real Brighton?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What utter rubbish. They are an effective check on the idiocies of inner London politics. Livingstone in his first more radical trot guise railed against outer London councils such as Bromley in his attempts to promote his far left agenda so much, that he bought about the demise of his own GLC. The GLA works as a level of government above borough level, who still have a great degree of autonomy.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

In fairness though, I don't think he was expecting The Spanish Inquisition.

;)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
what is it to you?

Just curious, not a challenge. I've been in Brighton for ten years, and while there has been a lot of changes, some for the best, some not so great I think a lot of cities and towns have an element of the "wanky" culture about them. There are a lot of scenesters in Brighton but there is also a lot of more traditional places to go and drink and eat etc. Only thing that really annoys me is the lack of a decent Metal club.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Just curious, not a challenge. I've been in Brighton for ten years, and while there has been a lot of changes, some for the best, some not so great I think a lot of cities and towns have an element of the "wanky" culture about them. There are a lot of scenesters in Brighton but there is also a lot of more traditional places to go and drink and eat etc. Only thing that really annoys me is the lack of a decent Metal club.

No problem mate I know what you mean that this has happened across the country (f***ing hell been to belfast if they can poncify that they can do it anywhere). Its just this promotion of the town as a lifestyle rather than a resort, and the fact its aimed at people who in reality are quite conservative, no matter how left field and groovy they think they are. the influx of those has been like a tidal wave in the last ten years. i think we have lost some of the genuine quirkyness to london house price bores sunday newspaper columnists and an off-the-peg trendiness by association of living here.

real brighton is a few pints up the toby or the downs, the races, working your way down elm grove then pav tav and the pink coconut or the suite. or it was. nothing stays the same i suppose.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No problem mate I know what you mean that this has happened across the country (f***ing hell been to belfast if they can poncify that they can do it anywhere). Its just this promotion of the town as a lifestyle rather than a resort, and the fact its aimed at people who in reality are quite conservative, no matter how left field and groovy they think they are. the influx of those has been like a tidal wave in the last ten years. i think we have lost some of the genuine quirkyness to london house price bores sunday newspaper columnists and an off-the-peg trendiness by association of living here.

real brighton is a few pints up the toby or the downs, the races, working your way down elm grove then pav tav and the pink coconut or the suite. or it was. nothing stays the same i suppose.

Fair assessment, although I have to say I have always avoided the pav Tav! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here