Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson - Ping Pong is coming home

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Quelle surprise. Sorry if you don't get the subtle nuances of our humour. It's all in the clever wordplay you see.

Nice to see you're still not bitter about the mother country whopping your arrogant Aussie arses. You lot take defeat so well.

Sorry you must have mistaken me for someone else, I have no English in me so England isn't my mother country.

I merely asked the question does he always look like a slob?

Thus not even making mention of his speech but his "I just walked out of a pub lunch" look.

Considering the size of the event and audience watching you'd think his advisors would have made sure he looked a bit more presentable than he did.

As for the results you won a massive 1 medal more than Australia, is that considered a whopping?

Still if that makes you feel proud to be English then bully for you :thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am not sure I'd want him making decisions for me - but he is a very funny bloke.

Tyrone - lighten up. He will have had advisors - but he is a soul that only goes along with them to a degree. I'd have thought his sort of non-stuffed shirt attitude would be recognised and celebrated by Australians.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I suspect he is far too much of a political liability to have a future in a mainstream party. But his career as a pundit and political commentator is secure.

I reckon if you let Boris loose during Conference season you'd have some pretty interesting television.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The guy has more wit, repartee, personality and character in his little finger than his detractors. If people do not see this speak for the genius it is you just have to feel sad for their cynical bitter souls.

Great for being a stand-up but he seems to lack all the other requirements to be a politician. Where are his policies? It speaks volumes about the UK that wit etc are what pushes your buttons in a politician.

This bumbling fool with litle in the way of policies, voted in by residents of the suburbs and the BNP, with a collapsing board of advisors is running a major city.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As far as the Olympics goes, party politics doesn't enter into it. For instance, you have two former Tory MPs, now Tory peers, at the top of the British Olympics movement, operating alongside a 'Labour' government. You have a Tory mayor of London, having just taken over from a left-wing mayor, and not one jolt in the change of direction for the preparation of the games. Johnson is going to get the accolades on the back of Livingstone's hard graft in the getting the games. Livingstone will be about, but Johnson is now the figurehead.

Tyrone, it's interesting that you care more about Johnson's appearance than the rest of us do. I think in some way, he's kind of indicative of how London will approach the games - proudly, enthusiastically, wittily and in a very, very British manner.

Even if he is a daft, bumbling duffer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are the votes of the suburbs worth less than the votes of the inner city ?

I personally dont think that people in the burbs should be able to vote for the mayor. They should have their own council. What goes on in the suburbs is very different to what goes on in inner-London. They clearly are worth something...as has been demonstrated. But a person in the burbs being able to influence inner-London is wrong. Conversely a person in inner-London should not be able to influence the council of other places.

In the same way I dont believe people in Rottindean (and the Rottindean councilor) should be able to vote for things in Brighton which at present they can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
proudly, enthusiastically, wittily and in a very, very British manner.

QUOTE]
...and dont forget to mention on the cheap with all corners cut. Us British love a bargain even if the resulting product is shite.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I personally dont think that people in the burbs should be able to vote for the mayor. They should have their own council. What goes on in the suburbs is very different to what goes on in inner-London. They clearly are worth something...as has been demonstrated. But a person in the burbs being able to influence inner-London is wrong. Conversely a person in inner-London should not be able to influence the council of other places.

In the same way I dont believe people in Rottindean (and the Rottindean councilor) should be able to vote for things in Brighton which at present they can.

So you are essentially saying that there shouldn't be a Mayor, and that the boroughs should sort things out themselves like how it was prior to Ken??? Or a maybe a Mayor for inner London and a Mayor for outer London??

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

so basically you're saying that the disproportionate influence of scottish mp's on english policies is wrong ? by applying that rationale england should have a tory government yes ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you are essentially saying that there shouldn't be a Mayor, and that the boroughs should sort things out themselves like how it was prior to Ken??? Or a maybe a Mayor for inner London and a Mayor for outer London??

I would propose a Central London Assembly. The outer boroughs can decide for themselves if seperate councils are the way forward or not. I imagine it would be preferable for them to have a seperate council like before the mayor.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Luv him or hate him,its just refreshing to hear a politician(loosely termed) who cant stick to some party line script,sure he must have script writers who pull their hair out everytime he stands up to talk.
He may well be an educated,silver spoon baffoon,but people listern to what he says,can the same be said for the mainstream politicians???

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sorry you must have mistaken me for someone else, I have no English in me so England isn't my mother country.

I merely asked the question does he always look like a slob?

Thus not even making mention of his speech but his "I just walked out of a pub lunch" look.

Considering the size of the event and audience watching you'd think his advisors would have made sure he looked a bit more presentable than he did.

As for the results you won a massive 1 medal more than Australia, is that considered a whopping?

Still if that makes you feel proud to be English then bully for you :thumbsup:
it may not be your personal mother country , but its an inescapable fact that it is australia's , not that i would want to prod your definitively australian chip on your shoulder/country cousin style inferiority complex.:D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, as someone intimately involved in the Olympics set-up, can you let us know how £9.35bn is considered 'on the cheap?'

9.35 is a relative sum of money.

When the plans first came out the were grand, and the facilities and legacy proposal excellent. Slowly they have been drawn in: stadia has been down-sized, infrastructure slowly scaled down. The games will be more expensive that when first costed. Prices of most of the building commodities have gone up and to a degree it is a bit of a stab-in-the-dark. My issue is that the public have continually winged about the cost and it will affect the quality of the games.

When the BBC did a series of interviews and a survey in China the only thing the public were concerned about was a great games and how many medals they would win...the same was done in Britain and the majority moaned about the cost...and those outside of London winged about what was in it for them.

I say spend the money, and have a decent games we can all be proud of and which will hopefully inspire younger generations.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would propose a Central London Assembly. The outer boroughs can decide for themselves if seperate councils are the way forward or not. I imagine it would be preferable for them to have a seperate council like before the mayor.

Do you have the details of whether the 33 London boroughs want a larger London authority to take some (not all) of their decision-making systems away from them?

Apart from your imagination, that is?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Isn't a the definition of a bargain something that meets the need but does so at a price that is less than you would have expected? When did bargain change it's meaning to simply mean cheap?

Put simply a bargain is an advantageous purchase esp. one acquired at less than the usual cost i.e. cheap. Check Dictionary.com.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I am not sure I'd want him making decisions for me - but he is a very funny bloke.

Tyrone - lighten up. He will have had advisors - but he is a soul that only goes along with them to a degree. I'd have thought his sort of non-stuffed shirt attitude would be recognised and celebrated by Australians.

I'm not saying he's not a good bloke, i'm merely asking does he always look like that.

His appearance looked 2nd rate amongst all the other officials present.

And it seems alot of your fellow countrymen agree with me.

Can Boris Johnson do anything other than look like a slob? - Page 2 - urban75 forums

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here