Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool Opinion on the Stadium

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Surely harveys (and southern style bitters) are meant to be flat (well not fizzy).

The pint that i had at the gillingham game was fine, was from one of the little mobile beer stands.

That's the point. If you get it from the mobile stands its poured while you wait, and isn't waiting around already poured going flat at one of the big serveries that also sell pies etc.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I had three pints from the mobile bar. Looked clear, no farty smell and tasted great. Probably not so nice for the northern palate though (no gas)
Any ideas what was served up in the south stand?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Our pies are fab and i should know being an accomplished pie eater !!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They couldn't hear the NORTH STAND! most of the time.

As someone who watches the game from both sides of the South stand, south west and south east corners, I have said this before, be i appears i'm not believed.
I keep hearing what a great noise is generated form the North stand, and from within the North it may sound great, but it does not
carry to the away end.
At the Gillingham game they spent most of the game singing" your supposed to be at home" did anyone in the north stand hear them ?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
From my seat in the middle of the west, the NS is loud, but the WSU is occasionally deafening.

My ear drums actually reverberate with the noise.

Gobsmacked if that cant be heard in the South.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
From my seat in the middle of the west, the NS is loud, but the WSU is occasionally deafening.

My ear drums actually reverberate with the noise.

Gobsmacked if that cant be heard in the South.

If they couldn`t hear us from the south I can only think that their cloth caps had fallen down over their ears because it was well loud.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Blackpool game was a low risk game and therefore had far fewer Police on duty there than if we were playing a high risk game against the likes of Palace or whoever where the Police numbers will be much higher, they could also keep their fans in after the game and allow the crowd to disperse before letting them out as is common practice. However I'm sure that at Withdean fans of teams like Millwall were let out at the same time as us in the past without any problems, the days of mindless thuggery outside of grounds are preety much gone (a lot of which is down to CCTV)

Ah, Utopia resident?

Sent from my inbred hatred of all things South London .....HD

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
You obviously know you stuff about real ale Mr Grandad, but as a casual drinker of the stuff, normally i drink lager, it tated exactly as it does when i drink it in my local.

I suppose this is a good thing really as i couldn't tell you if it was a good one or a bad one, by the time i'd finished i wouldn't have been able to tell if it was Harveys or Fosters i was drinking.

No, sorry but Mr Grandad does not know his stuff about real ale at !
I am, and have done so for 15 years, ran pubs, both as a tenant and now as a manager so to put a few myths to bed.........
1. Gas assisting: Yes this not looked on favourably by CAMRA but they have, over the past 10 years started to come around. NO gas goes anywhere near the beer. The gas is used to turn a pump which was developed to assist the hand pull on long beer line runs.
2. 90% of pubs do not have gas going into the cask. I have never ever seen this mythical device. I now work for Marstons, 2500 pubs, have had contact with cellars ran by Greene King 5600 pubs and M&B 9000 pubs and none of these 3 ( the largest three in uk) have evervused this device.
3. Not a myth..... Seagulls always welcome at Queen of Hearts pub if your every in Daventry :clap2:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No, sorry but Mr Grandad does not know his stuff about real ale at !
I am, and have done so for 15 years, ran pubs, both as a tenant and now as a manager so to put a few myths to bed.........
1. Gas assisting: Yes this not looked on favourably by CAMRA but they have, over the past 10 years started to come around. NO gas goes anywhere near the beer. The gas is used to turn a pump which was developed to assist the hand pull on long beer line runs.
2. 90% of pubs do not have gas going into the cask. I have never ever seen this mythical device. I now work for Marstons, 2500 pubs, have had contact with cellars ran by Greene King 5600 pubs and M&B 9000 pubs and none of these 3 ( the largest three in uk) have evervused this device.
3. Not a myth..... Seagulls always welcome at Queen of Hearts pub if your every in Daventry :clap2:

This is a good post as I drink cider and I have drunk it out of the wood (secondary fermentation using a castor, ceased 1974), flat gravity feed or hand pump or minimum gas assisted. The latter two both have their faults, the life span of the cider (or beer) is shorter with gravity feed without gas, but with gas it can get in the cider or beer if the adjustment is wrong (rarely). I think in the past gas could be pumped directly in the beer spoiling the taste completely. Keg beer might be different. Too fizzy for me. Not a CAMRA snob and their attitude to cider is purist and does not make for the best cider.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fran 112 I retired in 2001 having been associated with all types of the licenced trade since 1962. When I first started keg beer was not about and it wasnt so until about the mid 60s when they brought in the likes of Watneys Red Barrell and Whitbread Keg hence most beer especially where I had my pub in East London, The Connaught at the bottom of Prince Regents Lane near Canning Town came in barrells. I was a manager for Trumans and my weekly order was 12 - 15 x 36 gals Barrells of Best Bitter and 4 Barrels of Mild on one delivery and on the bottles it was 200 doz Light Ale 80 doz Bottles of Ben Truman 80 doz bottles of Guinness and 20 dox Barley Wine nips that was every week. If a busy week was envisaged the order was increased. Out clientele consisted mainly of dockers of whom Harry Redknapp senior was one H as he was known to his friends, and they all drank gallons of Bitter or Light Bitter in those days as lager or draught Guiness wasnt about. I sold a lot of beer.

As time progressed Keg beer and eventually Lager in the late 60s/early 50s came in and took over the sales of bitter by the late 70s early 80s real ale was suffering a downturn and as a result many pubs reduced their lines. This was when they started using little gas valves that screwed into the top of the cask when laid down on a stillage with the tap on the bottom or into the same spot on a cask that was stood up and the beer dispensed through syphons. This prolonged the life of the beer by about 3 days which meant that pubs could afford to stock real ale. This is the system that caused Camra to be unhappy, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the dispensing of beer through the beer engines.

I am fortunate to say that every pub that I have run has had increased takings that nobody else has ever managed to reach so much so that 2 of them have now closed. One on Guildford is boarded up after having had many bosses since I left and one in Midhurst is now a pizza place.

Real ale took an upsurge in the late 90s with the advent of many micro brewers and now holds its own I am told. Since the advent of the monopolies commission rulings of the 90s there are now very few pubs owned by brewers in fact a brewer is not permitted to own more than 1200 pubs hence the formation of pub owning companies like M & B Marstons and Greene King who are all now pub property owners not brewers.

The beer is brewed by about 3 companies in the main, apart from small companies like Harveys Fullers etc. The brewers for all of the companies that you have mentioned is in the most the makers of Fosters which was Scottish Courage not sure of their actual name now, Carlsberg, Coors who make Carling etc and Innbrew who make Stella. Obviously Diageo come into this as they own and brew Guinness.

I can assure you that what I have said about beer is 100% true and any person with the knowledge not just a mere 15 years of modern sterile pubs will tell you so.

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
The Blackpool fan I spoke to in the bar after told me he prefers the Amex to Wembley

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Fran 112 I retired in 2001 having been associated with all types of the licenced trade since 1962. When I first started keg beer was not about and it wasnt so until about the mid 60s when they brought in the likes of Watneys Red Barrell and Whitbread Keg hence most beer especially where I had my pub in East London, The Connaught at the bottom of Prince Regents Lane near Canning Town came in barrells. I was a manager for Trumans and my weekly order was 12 - 15 x 36 gals Barrells of Best Bitter and 4 Barrels of Mild on one delivery and on the bottles it was 200 doz Light Ale 80 doz Bottles of Ben Truman 80 doz bottles of Guinness and 20 dox Barley Wine nips that was every week. If a busy week was envisaged the order was increased. Out clientele consisted mainly of dockers of whom Harry Redknapp senior was one H as he was known to his friends, and they all drank gallons of Bitter or Light Bitter in those days as lager or draught Guiness wasnt about. I sold a lot of beer.

As time progressed Keg beer and eventually Lager in the late 60s/early 50s came in and took over the sales of bitter by the late 70s early 80s real ale was suffering a downturn and as a result many pubs reduced their lines. This was when they started using little gas valves that screwed into the top of the cask when laid down on a stillage with the tap on the bottom or into the same spot on a cask that was stood up and the beer dispensed through syphons. This prolonged the life of the beer by about 3 days which meant that pubs could afford to stock real ale. This is the system that caused Camra to be unhappy, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the dispensing of beer through the beer engines.

I am fortunate to say that every pub that I have run has had increased takings that nobody else has ever managed to reach so much so that 2 of them have now closed. One on Guildford is boarded up after having had many bosses since I left and one in Midhurst is now a pizza place.

Real ale took an upsurge in the late 90s with the advent of many micro brewers and now holds its own I am told. Since the advent of the monopolies commission rulings of the 90s there are now very few pubs owned by brewers in fact a brewer is not permitted to own more than 1200 pubs hence the formation of pub owning companies like M & B Marstons and Greene King who are all now pub property owners not brewers.

The beer is brewed by about 3 companies in the main, apart from small companies like Harveys Fullers etc. The brewers for all of the companies that you have mentioned is in the most the makers of Fosters which was Scottish Courage not sure of their actual name now, Carlsberg, Coors who make Carling etc and Innbrew who make Stella. Obviously Diageo come into this as they own and brew Guinness.

I can assure you that what I have said about beer is 100% true and any person with the knowledge not just a mere 15 years of modern sterile pubs will tell you so.

Please do us all a favour and RETIRE from NSC. You bore me!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
The signs in the away end are orange.

They would have been talking about the colour coding which changes to suit the opposition that the away end is housing that game. I was wondering whether they knew that or thought that it was always tangerine.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The concensus from the Blackpool fans was fixed. It was not a resounding WOW infact I would say a little dissapointing. People described it as a lego pack , unfinished, underwhelming inside and the outside flattering to deceive and the north stand as pathetic. I know the Palace fans think it is shit but that is to be expected. To me it is the best ground in the World but I have not been to that many of the best premier / championship grounds so I do not know how good it really is. Can anyone enlighten me as to how good our stadium is ?.

The concensus from the Blackpool fans was fixed. It was not a resounding WOW infact I would say a little dissapointing. People described it as a lego pack , unfinished, underwhelming inside and the outside flattering to deceive and the north stand as pathetic. I know the Palace fans think it is shit but that is to be expected. To me it is the best ground in the World but I have not been to that many of the best premier / championship grounds so I do not know how good it really is. Can anyone enlighten me as to how good our stadium is ?.

It is better than Withdean and that is all I care about.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I really don't care what other fans think of the Amex.
We think it's amazingly beautiful and that's all that really counts because it's ours to love.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think it seems better to us because of where we came from what we went through to get it. To everyone else it probably seems like just another new stadium.

Who cares, we're the ones who matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here