Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool Opinion on the Stadium

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Nice to see that the Blackpool fans had very positive things to say about the Amex. Much more complimentary than the Donny fans. Have to agree with them about the PA; I cringe every time he says 'here we go'. Wish he'd just shut it and let us ramp up the atmosphere.

I personally had a fantastic day - a different but equally outstanding experience as the Donny game. Roll on Tuesday. :D

Nice to see that the Blackpool fans had very positive things to say about the Amex. Much more complimentary than moaning old BensGrandad

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've been working up in Yorkshire during the week for a few months and there are some very decent beers to be had - but all are served through a sparkler. Bloody horrible fake-foamy top. The pub I drink in now takes off the sparkler to serve "flat" beer to the Southerner. When I point out that it isn't flat - it's just not been abused by forcing it through a sieve, they don't seem to get it.

I can guarantee that northern fans will not appreciate real ale that hasn't be sparkled.

Bit of bring info for those interested: A sparkler (also called a sparklet) is a device that can be optionally attached to the nozzle of a beer engine.[5] Designed rather like a shower-head, when beer is dispensed through a sparkler, the beer becomes aerated and frothy which results in a beer that has a noticeable head on it. Some CO2 is carried away into the head, resulting in a softer, sweeter flavour due to the loss of normal CO2 acidity.

There is some dispute about the benefits of a sparkler. There is an argument that the sparkler can reduce the flavour and aroma, especially of the hops, in some beers.The counter argument is that the sparkler takes away harshness. Many pubs favour sparklers because the presence of the head means that they can try and get away with serving less than full measures of beer. Brewery preference - Breweries may state whether or not a sparkler is preferred when serving their beers. Generally, breweries in Northern England serve their beers with a sparkler attached and breweries in the South will serve them without, but this is by no means definitive. The Good Beer Guide indicates that when a brewery has not stated a preference, their beers should be served without sparklers.

WithandWithout-Sparkler.jpg

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Personally, I find that a better pint is to be had down the road at the Gardeners, where the cellarman really knows what he's doing.

Wish the same could be said for the bar staff. The last two times I've been in the Gardeners (nearly a year apart) one of our party got served the bottom of a barrel. When we questioned it, both times, the (different) member of staff patronisingly told us (something along the lines of) "that's what the last few pints of a barrel look like" and wouldn't believe us when we told them they weren't supposed to serve those "last few pints". Either their staff training has gone to shit, or the landlord is under pressure with profits and is trying to minimise ullage. Either way, the Gardeners is a long way off where it was 10 years ago when it used to regularly win Brighton & South Downs Pub of the Year, and we won't be back any time soon.

Jan 30, 2008
Wish the same could be said for the bar staff. The last two times I've been in the Gardeners (nearly a year apart) one of our party got served the bottom of a barrel. When we questioned it, both times, the (different) member of staff patronisingly told us (something along the lines of) "that's what the last few pints of a barrel look like" and wouldn't believe us when we told them they weren't supposed to serve those "last few pints". Either their staff training has gone to shit, or the landlord is under pressure with profits and is trying to minimise ullage. Either way, the Gardeners is a long way off where it was 10 years ago when it used to regularly win Brighton & South Downs Pub of the Year, and we won't be back any time soon.
Will you be missed ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know some find Richie Reynolds trying to get the atmosphere going annoying, and that the fan should be allowed to create their own, but he urges the crowd to sing because they're not starting the atmosphere on their own. Instead of waiting for him to gee us on, start singing to drown him out before he has the chance.

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Will you be missed ?

Yes I will. If they are desperate enough to try to sell the bottom of the barrel, they are presumably desperate for as many customers as they can get. Plus I am attractive, and charming and fantastic company, and my presence, or even the remote chance I might be in there, naturally attracts lots of other people to drink there in the hope of meeting me. As it is, without my one pint every ten months in there, I reckon they'll be bust by Halloween. It's sad, but it's the only way to learn them I'm afraid.

Jan 30, 2008
Yes I will. If they are desperate enough to try to sell the bottom of the barrel, they are presumably desperate for as many customers as they can get. Plus I am attractive, and charming and fantastic company, and my presence, or even the remote chance I might be in there, naturally attracts lots of other people to drink there in the hope of meeting me. As it is, without my one pint every ten months in there, I reckon they'll be bust by Halloween. It's sad, but it's the only way to learn them I'm afraid.
go over to Percys tackle and introduce yourself then :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I know some find Richie Reynolds trying to get the atmosphere going annoying, and that the fan should be allowed to create their own, but he urges the crowd to sing because they're not starting the atmosphere on their own. Instead of waiting fr hi to gee us on, start singing to drown him out before he has the chance.

If he shut up the crowd would create the atmosphere as they did for Donnie. The unintentional delay in the teams coming oyt that day was excellent Abd they should have learned that a minute or two of nothing just before GOSBTS is the way to go.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
:lol: great post

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It could also be because most pubs gas lift it (according to BG). :lolol:

In reality it maybe due to the freshness of the pint, and it's not sat in the lines for a couple of hours before yours got pulled.

My final pint sorry point is that the gas is not used to lift the beer but to keep it in good condition for longer which is obviously not needed at the Amex as it is fresh bright Harveys direct from the brewery. It is not a moan because I don't drink it just an observation of how it looked. They were going to sell local beer to the opponents in the away end does anybody know if they do.

Incidentally I spoke to some Blackpool fans on the train to Lewes and they enjoyed the stadium, obviously the result and said that they thought we would do well as every team hasn't got a Kevin Phillips.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If he shut up the crowd would create the atmosphere as they did for Donnie. The unintentional delay in the teams coming oyt that day was excellent Abd they should have learned that a minute or two of nothing just before GOSBTS is the way to go.

My point is that he is shut up in the minutes before he starts talking. The crowd don't create their own atmosphere.

I was under the impression, given insider's reply to a question in atc, that the delay was intended, and had been planned for all games.
Request only to turn the PA down for a minute!!
Build up to Kick off was fantastic

For reasons that people who know me will understand ... I shall remain silent about how the Gardeners is currently run.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Will you be missed ?

Bloody should be missed, with record numbers of pubs going to the wall with the recession and cheap supermarket beer taking profits away from them...pubs should mourn the loss of just one customer, their fate is in their own hands.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
My final pint sorry point is that the gas is not used to lift the beer but to keep it in good condition for longer which is obviously not needed at the Amex as it is fresh bright Harveys direct from the brewery. It is not a moan because I don't drink it just an observation of how it looked. They were going to sell local beer to the opponents in the away end does anybody know if they do.

Incidentally I spoke to some Blackpool fans on the train to Lewes and they enjoyed the stadium, obviously the result and said that they thought we would do well as every team hasn't got a Kevin Phillips.

You should be banned from speaking to any away fans otherwise they may form the opinion we are all total cocks!

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Don't know if this quote has been mentioned but I do like this..

Although, their massive stand was impressive and to its credits, the accoustics were VERY good.

Also, i thought the thing they did where the stands sung to each was the best thing i've seen at an away ground. It was brilliant.

Seemed pretty good before the game yesterday and the beer was top notch as ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here