Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool Opinion on the Stadium

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
90% of pubs that serve real ale have a very small gas supply going into the top of the cask this doesn't make it dispense like keg beer but keeps it from going flat for a longer period of time and is dispensed through normal beer engines. Even the majority of beer buffs wouldn't realize that the pub was using it but the ones that don't use it are those that have a vast turn over and sell more than a cask, of whatever size once it it opened, inside 3 days. Any how enough of beer education I just don't think the Harveys looks very good but if people like it and want to buy it who am I to begrudge them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wasnt at the game yesterday, could someone explain all the "cheesiness" that Blackpool fans are mentioning before kick off?

Richie Reynolds trying to whip up the atmosphere. I'm inclined to agree with them, it was overdone yesterday.

90% of pubs that serve real ale have a very small gas supply going into the top of the cask this doesn't make it dispense like keg beer but keeps it from going flat for a longer period of time and is dispensed through normal beer engines. Even the majority of beer buffs wouldn't realize that the pub was using it but the ones that don't use it are those that have a vast turn over and sell more than a cask, of whatever size once it it opened, inside 3 days. Any how enough of beer education I just don't think the Harveys looks very good but if people like it and want to buy it who am I to begrudge them.

You obviously know you stuff about real ale Mr Grandad, but as a casual drinker of the stuff, normally i drink lager, it tated exactly as it does when i drink it in my local.

I suppose this is a good thing really as i couldn't tell you if it was a good one or a bad one, by the time i'd finished i wouldn't have been able to tell if it was Harveys or Fosters i was drinking.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I do not like Harveys at the best of times but to see it being served in West Stand Lower yesterday was a sight to be scorned by beer drinkers it was a flat as a pancake and had about as much life as a squashed fox on the road.

:O :O I was beginning to worry you weren't going to have your customary post match moan about some aspect of the ground or the match itself.

It amazes me with so much thats good about the whole matchday experience, especially compared to Withdean, that you seem to find something trivial everytime to gripe about.

I think i am still to read a single positive post submitted by you on this site in all the years i've been on here, you must be fun to sit next to at games. Go on post a positive comment on here just once, i dare you, it won't kill you and you may find out that you actually enjoy doing it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:O :O I was beginning to worry you weren't going to have your customary post match moan about some aspect of the ground or the match itself.

It amazes me with so much thats good about the whole matchday experience, especially compared to Withdean, that you seem to find something trivial everytime to gripe about.

I think i am still to read a single positive post submitted by you on this site in all the years i've been on here, you must be fun to sit next to at games. Go on post a positive comment on here just once, i dare you, it won't kill you and you may find out that you actually enjoy doing it

Positive rep for a good post. :wink:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Haha one of them says "Nice bit of coincidence that the away end is colour coded in tangerine". Not sure whether that was a bit tongue in cheek?!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
"Think there needs to be work done on the arrangements for getting there by train -particularly coming from Brighton Station where no-one seemed to have a clue. They handled it well coming away from the ground though. "

Southern trains need to just put a board up directing fans at Brighton station the other slightly worrying point is fans mixing after game either at the Falmer station or in the coach park so far we have not played the likes of WHU, Leeds or Palarse we are in the West Stand and need to get a coach by 1730 so leave soon after the final whistle and walk right past the away fans to the steps that lead up to the coach park this whole area had 1 police officer

The Blackpool game was a low risk game and therefore had far fewer Police on duty there than if we were playing a high risk game against the likes of Palace or whoever where the Police numbers will be much higher, they could also keep their fans in after the game and allow the crowd to disperse before letting them out as is common practice. However I'm sure that at Withdean fans of teams like Millwall were let out at the same time as us in the past without any problems, the days of mindless thuggery outside of grounds are preety much gone (a lot of which is down to CCTV)

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
"Think there needs to be work done on the arrangements for getting there by train -particularly coming from Brighton Station where no-one seemed to have a clue. They handled it well coming away from the ground though. "

Southern trains need to just put a board up directing fans at Brighton station the other slightly worrying point is fans mixing after game either at the Falmer station or in the coach park so far we have not played the likes of WHU, Leeds or Palarse we are in the West Stand and need to get a coach by 1730 so leave soon after the final whistle and walk right past the away fans to the steps that lead up to the coach park this whole area had 1 police officer

When I went up the steps by the away end there were 6 police officers there. That was about 10 minutes after the final whistle. Having said that the Blackpool fans were very nice and had a good chat with them in the P & R q.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

If you really want me to find fault with The Amex and or our club I could go on for hours but this was just a casual remark on an observation by me that doesn't really worry me as I don't drink Harveys. As I said if somebody else wants to who am I to stop them.

Generally I am very impressed with The Amex but like everything in life it is not perfect and by it being mentioned things may improve. As regards the criticiscm of the team and players etc are we not all FL Managers in disguise and do we not all have opinions, some will be correct some wrong but it is fun so what is the harm.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Surely harveys (and southern style bitters) are meant to be flat (well not fizzy).

The pint that i had at the gillingham game was fine, was from one of the little mobile beer stands.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I do not like Harveys at the best of times but to see it being served in West Stand Lower yesterday was a sight to be scorned by beer drinkers it was a flat as a pancake and had about as much life as a squashed fox on the road.

As I said it looked awful when the girl grabbed one of the prepoured pints with a lid on. From Harveys point of view it does not do their reputation any good if it looks so bad, unfortunately I do not know the answer other than to serve it with gas assistance, which happens in a lot of pubs but is looked down on by CAMRA.
What are you on about? The Harveys at the stadium is almost PERFECT in terms of temperature and flavour, and better than most if not all the pubs in Brighton (and certainly the 3 Harveys tied houses). It's definitely comparable with that at the John Harvey tavern and is supposed to be flat and headless.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
When I went up the steps by the away end there were 6 police officers there. That was about 10 minutes after the final whistle. Having said that the Blackpool fans were very nice and had a good chat with them in the P & R q.

Agreed, The Blackpool fans seemed very well behaved and even a little underwhelmed at their point saving comeback. I could'nt imagine our fans being as well behaved in the same circumstances. Maybe the sun made them sleepy! maybe the policy of welcoming the fans helps!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
we are in the West Stand and need to get a coach by 1730 so leave soon after the final whistle and walk right past the away fans to the steps that lead up to the coach park this whole area had 1 police officer
But we weren't playing WHU, Leeds or Palace! Do you think they have the same number of police for each game?!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

90%! Are you sure about that? I've known a few of the establishments I have worked in that have this system. I also know of many that do not, generally in my experience it is more to do with the distance travelled from the cellar than anything else, the gas giving the beer a bit more propulsion. It is quite noticeable, if you are in the know, which pubs have this system, and in my opinion it is nowhere near even 50%. Also you have implied that the gas is there to keep the beer fresher for longer, but real ale will not last more than three days whatever you do with it, a bit of gas will not make a difference to this.

Edit: It turns out there are two gas systems for real ale. One that just helps propel the ale to the pump, and one that puts gas into the barrel. I was talking about the propulsion system. Either way it is nothing to do with a lack of gas that makes the Harveys at the Amex flat, it is to do with the pre pouring of pints to speed up service. The pint I had that was poured fresh was perfect, the pre poured ones taste exactly the same but they have just lost their head from being sat there for too long. If you are that bothered you can ask for a freshly poured pint, or go to one of the mobile Harveys sellers who always pull a fresh pint.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What are you on about? The Harveys at the stadium is almost PERFECT in terms of temperature and flavour, and better than most if not all the pubs in Brighton (and certainly the 3 Harveys tied houses). It's definitely comparable with that at the John Harvey tavern and is supposed to be flat and headless.

Completely wrong the head on a good pint will always hang onto the side of the glass as it is drunk, ask any expert or brewer.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
CAMRA said:
No gas needed

There are systems which dispense cask conditioned beer by gas pressure. Other systems store cask beer under gas so as to prolong the shelf-life. CAMRA disapproves of both systems and actively discourages their use. The first makes beer unpleasantly fizzy, the second interferes with the maturation processes of the beer. Such gas systems are not needed in a well run pub.
Beer in the Pub - CAMRA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here