Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool Opinion on the Stadium

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No you can't. The pint I had on Saturday looked good and in fact much better than the two I had against Donny. Yet unlike the lifeless two I had against Donny this one was a struggle to drink and made 3 of us feel like crap 20 minutes into the second half.

Harveys is what is sometimes referred to in the trade as a "dirty" beer. This doesn't mean its bad but that it uses a yeast culture thats live and Harveys pride themselves on the fact that the same yeast has been used for donkeys years. Most breweries use dried yeast formalas. Live yeast does sometimes cause a problem to some people and more and more of us a beginning to find an intolerance to it. In this regard occasionally a single barrel can be affected by live yeast from the atmosphere and this can cause the beer to upset people even though it looks fine. Yeast in the atmosphere can cause major problems especially when dozy landlords etc put vegetables in the cellar. Fresh veg gives off loads of live yeast.

As BG knows I've owned 4 pubs and I've only ever seen one system of putting gas on top the cask. It is known to keep the beer longer sometimes extending it to a week but one normally hopes to sell a barrel within 2 days max.

The main reason has already been given for why there's no lacing (correct term) and that's because the glasses are plastic

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody getting their knickers in a twist. I wasnt complaining about the beer or anything else just passing a comment that I thought it looked flat and lifeless and didn't show Harveys in a good light, if that is how people want to drink it good luck to them.

What I took exception to was somebody who has probably never worked for a brewer, only a pub owning property company, in that for the past 18 - 20 years the major brewers haven't owned pubs due to to rules and regulations, virtually telling me I was talking crap about real ale having gas inserted to preserve it which as Piltdown Man has confirmed was used to make it last longer if needed. He may well have been a tenant for a small brewer but if it was for either M & B, Greene King or Marstons he would have been a leaseholder. This may seem petty but the leases where given to anybody who had the money to buy them as opposed to the old tenant system whereby applicants went for an interview and the company gave the tenancy to the person they considered would best suit the pub irrespective of how much money they had, provided they showed that they had sufficient to trade profitably.

So lets now drop the subject and move on.

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You have a choice, accept the pre-poured pint as is or wait for hours in a queue.

It takes around 15 seconds to pour a pint fom the keg, if there are 30 odd people in the queue ( which seems to be the norm from around 2 o'clock onwards and they're each ordering two pints each then that's a hell of a long time ( 15 minutes ) to get served, especially if you've just climbed to the top of WSU and are gasping for a drink.

If they pour those pints before people arrive then you can just grab one and go slake your thirst straight away. It may well look a bit like cold tea, but it sure as hell doesn't taste like it.

The pies have so much pastry and filling that it's impossible to eat one without liquid refreshment anyway. If anything, I'm beginning to mourn the absence of a large gravy jug.

Yes it tastes a lttle strange at first, but it's no different to how it would taste once you've got halfway down the glass

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
The concensus from the Blackpool fans was fixed. It was not a resounding WOW infact I would say a little dissapointing. People described it as a lego pack , unfinished, underwhelming inside and the outside flattering to deceive and the north stand as pathetic. I know the Palace fans think it is shit but that is to be expected. To me it is the best ground in the World but I have not been to that many of the best premier / championship grounds so I do not know how good it really is. Can anyone enlighten me as to how good our stadium is ?.

I sat with a mate of mine from work who is a Sunderland fan. He has stood at Roker Park and sat in the Stadium of Light . He thinks our stadium is 'canny' , the crowd is a proper crowd , we make all the right noises and the atmosphere was both intimidating and loud .
He even added that unless , Sunderland are involved in a volatile local affair , NUFC , M'Boro , Leeds their stadium can be quite quite compared to what he experienced against Blackpool . This because it's difficult to whip up an atmosphere in a 48,000 stadium with only 20,000 in it .On the few occasions he went to Withdean though, he thought it was a library and we were all reading books.
You have to know this guy to realise the praise for our stadium is great praise indeed.
Tomorrow night , he will tell me what it's like from an away fans perspective.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
On the subject of beers . I love my Harveys and love my pie. I used to occasionally go in the Sportsman before a game and always ate before I left home. My new Amex regime is pie and pint and let the club take those profits for future players. Give me proper beer and I will drink it.
Thank god this club doesn't hold the view that all football fans only drink lager. I would love to know the ratio of sales between Harveys and lager.
I'm on the WSL. Don't see a lot of lager down there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I drink cider and I do not like modern beers all that much. Harvey's is just about the best I have ever drunk when kept properly. The best pint I have had is in the Mitre in Brighton. It has not got a strong taste though. Smooth I would say.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the subject of beers . I love my Harveys and love my pie. I used to occasionally go in the Sportsman before a game and always ate before I left home. My new Amex regime is pie and pint and let the club take those profits for future players.

Same as this. Although I will add that I couldn't give a crap about club profits from my £6.50, most of it goes to Azure anyway, I do it because I like it. If they change the pies and the beer gets crap I'll just stay in the pub a bit longer and eat on the way down again.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
To all those complaining about the beer at falmer... if you don't like it then great, that leaves more for the 20,000 of us who do and are loving it! some people are never happy.

i sometimes wonder if these people moaning are actually attending matches at falmer. moaning about the trains, car parks, beers, pies, ticket prices, basically everything... but everybody i chat to at the ground or in town before or after the match, or when traveling to or from the match, looks like a kid in a bloody sweetshop having a whale of a time and loving every minute of their football trip.

This, exactly, spot on with knobs on.

I think that the vast majority of people are more than happy; we'll just have to put up with the usual small group of moaners, some of whom even get on their high horses to point out how wrong we are to try to deny them a moan!

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I like the Harveys, I like the pies, I'm very happy. At Withdean I ate and drank nothing, now my pre-match schedule is two pints of Harveys and on a Saturday a pie as well.

The answer is simple, if you don't like the Harveys then don't drink it, you are in the minority as the 7,200 pints sold against Doncaster shows!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Are they also going to start providing Dark Star in the concourses?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Everybody getting their knickers in a twist. I wasnt complaining about the beer or anything else just passing a comment that I thought it looked flat and lifeless and didn't show Harveys in a good light, if that is how people want to drink it good luck to them.

What I took exception to was somebody who has probably never worked for a brewer, only a pub owning property company, in that for the past 18 - 20 years the major brewers haven't owned pubs due to to rules and regulations, virtually telling me I was talking crap about real ale having gas inserted to preserve it which as Piltdown Man has confirmed was used to make it last longer if needed. He may well have been a tenant for a small brewer but if it was for either M & B, Greene King or Marstons he would have been a leaseholder. This may seem petty but the leases where given to anybody who had the money to buy them as opposed to the old tenant system whereby applicants went for an interview and the company gave the tenancy to the person they considered would best suit the pub irrespective of how much money they had, provided they showed that they had sufficient to trade profitably.

So lets now drop the subject and move on.

Another terminally boring post! Would hate to be Ben he must be bored senseless!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This may seem petty but the leases where given to anybody who had the money to buy them as opposed to the old tenant system whereby applicants went for an interview and the company gave the tenancy to the person they considered would best suit the pub irrespective of how much money they had, provided they showed that they had sufficient to trade profitably.

The quality and expertise of landlords running pubs has deteriorated since the change. It was never terrific to start with. Pubs as opposed to the corporation taverns run by Managers.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Although I don't know for sure, the Harveys being sold at the stadium is almost certainly 'bright', you could throw the cask down the WSU stairs and the beer would still be the same. Needs to be served with a sparkler though really.

Sorry, don't agree. Harvey's isn't a northern beer, it shouldn't have a sparkler.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
The kronenburg is quite nice too. It is really well kept and keeps
It's head all the way down the glass- quality !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here