BIG name opposition at Falmer according to Andy Naylor

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't mind betting that it will be:

10k - Donny or possibly REMF

15k - Fatboy slim concert

17k - Chelsea

...I'd probably go to the first two and not the last.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
It'll be a 'Man Utd All Stars' with Beckham rounding off his career playing the team he made his first team debut against [23 September 1992]; he'll announce his retirement the next day.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I would rather have juventus or parma etc than the likes of manure and chelsea etc:rant:

Like others have said i won't waste my time with this game and will wait another week or so:thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I really want the first game to be a league game for me so I think I will just wait for that

I have to agree. My first football at Falmer will be our first league game next season, not withstanding the Pride/League Cup issues. I want to have a meaningful match, the smell of burgers, the pre-season buzz, the singing, a little nervy if the away side have a good turnout, one too many beers in the PUB (not stadium bar) beforehand, and then the adrenaline rush of seeing MY team run out to a full house in a setting I never believed we would see until recently. No way in the world will I see a bunch of f*****g premier league prima donnas, who will never understand what football passion means, which will then ruin the emotion of THAT FIRST SATURDAY at The Amex.

On the other hand if the Foo Fighters play The Amex next June I will pay a 1901 Club member handsomely for his ticket!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Personally I would HATE it to be Man Ure or Chelsea - it would, I'm afraid, attract a large proportion of low life (with a significant chance of aggro, especially in the City Centre), few of whom would have any idea what the stadium means to us. As far as I'm concerned, the opponents need to be attractive, but with a decent bunch of fans who would treat the occasion in an appropriate manner. Man City may fall into that category, as would (say) Villa, Fulham, possibly Spurs (not sure), Everton, Newcastle.

I'd also like to see one Donny as one of the early opponents....they play great football, plus their fans would absolutely appreciate the occasion.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I also am hesitant about going to the warm up events in a bid to make the first league game my first sampling of the ground and atmosphere.

I would avoid all press and NSC though as I don't want smug people boasting about going and giving away all the treats of any special bits. I want it all to be a rather pleasant surprise.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not reads all the thread but I'd like a Dutch team as FDM's game.

Donny as an early ramp up game would also be good.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It is funny the number of us (and I'm one of them) who profess not to be interested in the ramp-up games and are distinctly unmoved, or even put off, by the thought of us playing someone like Arsenal or Chelsea.

Dougal, Edna, Easy, Wellquickwoody, clippedgull, mcshane, BoF - which one of us will 'crack' first? :amex:

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm definitely going to stay away from ramp up events.

Having said that, I would rather a non-top English team that travels in numbers and makes a lot of noise. Certainly don't want 'Sussex Reds' or what-have-you buying tickets in the home section ahead of proper Brighton fans.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

It won't be "OR REMF", but it may be "AND REMF"

If REMF are able to play there, it will be a shortened match immediately before or after a ramp up event. At least that is what has been said (by US I think).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Woody, have you not noticed that the foo fighters became shit about 8 years ago?

I'll mention that to Dave Grohl next time he buts me a beer in the Grand Hotel, I am sure he takes your opinion very seriously.:laugh:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think everyone wants Donny to be in the mix somewhere and no question that we need a "fill the stadium" match as the final ramp-up game or what's the point? For me it would be Palace with a donation to REMF......what could be more appropriate to what we stand for and all that has gone on since '97 (and I think Palace fans would understand that better than most)

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania

15k - Fatboy slim concert

17k - Chelsea

...I'd probably go to the first two and not the last.

10k Donny or REMF

15k Palace

17k Real Madrid or Barca

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
10k Donny or REMF

15k Palace

17k Real Madrid or Barca

I'm pretty sure one will be a concert:

a) Because there's no way we'd sell out all three of those, thus it wouldn't work very well as a ramp-up
b) Because Martin Perry kept stressing at the fans forum that not all the events would necessarily be football
c) They will want to see how the concert thing works with people standing on the pitch, etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
c) They will want to see how the concert thing works with people standing on the pitch, etc.

well they had better do that for the first and not the last.

why do some think the Kuipers testimonial game should have "some relevance"? surely the purpose is to give an old faithful servent a send off, he'll be happy with Chelsea or Arsenal. what relevance has Doncaster to Kuipers anyway? if you do want a relevant game for Kuipers, i can think of no better than Southend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here