Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BIG name opposition at Falmer according to Andy Naylor

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Youd get 5,000 for Donny . Its not a case of calming down, its a case of common sense.

We are talking a big pre season friendly against a big, big club.
Why do even consider Donny ?...Im sure your an intelligent person, but frankly your answer leaves me scratching my head in amazement.
It may not be the first time its been mooted here, but if you think its a possibility, then i am bewildered

read the thread mate, you'll see it was I that suggested Doncaster at the first game.

I'm guessing you are too young to remember the impact of the final few Goldstone years. Doncaster would be a fitting curtain raiser to show how far we have come from that horrific last game in 1997.

But whatever, you'd rather see a team with absolutely no relevance to our club or our decade and a half plight to get where we are.

I'd just rather the club didn't sell out just yet.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
read the thread mate, you'll see it was I that suggested Doncaster at the first game.

I'm guessing you are too young to remember the impact of the final few Goldstone years. Doncaster would be a fitting curtain raiser to show how far we have come from that horrific last game in 1997.

But whatever, you'd rather see a team with absolutely no relevance to our club or our decade and a half plight to get where we are.

of course when I say sell out i mean:-

"Selling out" refers to the perception that someone is compromising their integrity, morality, or principles in exchange for money or "success" (however defined). It is commonly associated with attempts to tailor material to a mainstream audience. Any artist who expands their creative path to encompass a wider audience, as opposed to continuing in the genre and venues of their initial success, may be disdainfully labeled by disapproving fans as a sellout. Selling out is often seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility.

I'm not advocating that we should only half fill the ground.....

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand

f*** off...im 57 and have ben supporting the club since 1966...please dont preach to me about supporting this club.
I did read the thread.....and i still dont think that Donny should be our first game.
If they want to come here as one of the pre season friendlies , then great.
DONT EVER , talk to me about what this club has gone through , or what WE have been through .
If you can beat 1966, then fantastic

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I THINK that this is my view too. I reserve the right to change my mind though, or to let my kids BULLY me into going.

Exactement.

At the moment I feel like it's been such a long wait, and such a massive build up (let's face it, we ain't seen nothing yet) that I don't want to be in any way disappointed by it. I want a proper Albion crowd for a proper game, not a bunch of football tourists gawping at the new ground and oooh-ing at a couple of disinterested Man United players. I want our players to give a shit, and to be competitive, not fannying around admiring some overpaid, Lamborghini-driving Arsenal teenager in pink boots. I don't want to be seeing Wet Paint signs or buckets left lying around, builders' tape blocking off the not-quite-finished bits that the club have skimmed over in a desperate attempt to get the place open for a meaningless (apart from in terms of the safety certificate) game.

Other people can go and watch the fireworks and debate the merits of their seat on here in the run up to the official opening. But to me, that's like asking Santa Claus what he got you for Christmas three weeks before the big day. I don't want to know. I want our first game to be like waking up on Christmas morning to a giant pile of presents, none of which I have a clue about and all of which will be all the more awesome as a result. Frankly, I want to close my eyes NOW and not so much as look at a Falmer photo until August 6th*

Why spoil it? :lolol:

*I also reserve the right to change my mind re all of the above at a later date, and accept no flaming on here as a result :salute:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
of course when I say sell out i mean:-

"Selling out" refers to the perception that someone is compromising their integrity, morality, or principles in exchange for money or "success" (however defined). It is commonly associated with attempts to tailor material to a mainstream audience. Any artist who expands their creative path to encompass a wider audience, as opposed to continuing in the genre and venues of their initial success, may be disdainfully labeled by disapproving fans as a sellout. Selling out is often seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility.

I'm not advocating that we should only half fill the ground.....

Oh please ...stop being so very pretentious..we are looking at a day of fun,, for the families, kids, new fans..looking forward to a new era at the club .
For most, Doncaster wont mean a thing ! Ask all the new fans who will be coming to Falmer ...Premiership club, or Donny ? Mmmmmmm

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PArdon...why ?

Because they have to have several limited capacity games in the run-up to test things out. It's to do with the safety certificate. They build up the numbers each time to ensure everything works (evacuation plans etc).

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Whats the point then, in having this 'huge opening match' to a half empty stadium.
Wouldnt it be better to have a couple of normal pre season games , and then to have an 'official opening' on the third match when we could have ,at least 16 k ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whats the point then, in having this 'huge opening match' to a half empty stadium.
Wouldnt it be better to have a couple of normal pre season games , and then to have an 'official opening' on the third match when we could have ,at least 16 k ?

Well they're not saying that, are they?

They'd presumably have the so-called glamour *cough* game for the bigger capacity match.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna...i was replying to 8ace, who said the first game would be 10 k capacity.
I was asking why ?
He is presuming as well, that the first game at Falmer will be the'cough' big one .
Thats all

Nah:thumbsup:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I was asking why ?
He is presuming as well, that the first game at Falmer will be the'cough' big one .
Thats all

No I'm not - I'd guess the "big one" against glamour EPL opposition will be the 17k one as the opposition get half the gate money for friendlies.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was asking why ?
Thats all
Safety, that's what every one means when they talk about 'ramp up' events as the stadium has to successfully stage several below-capacity games to get the Safety Certificate. Doncaster have often been mooted as a favoured candidate for one of these ramp-up games because they were the last team at the Goldstone.

That answer is given in good faith and not meant to be patronising. If I've got the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

Oh, and 1966 for me too!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Anyone but Chelsea,please not them. They're ENTIRE support consists of new hoorays from west london or new builders from the home counties, meaning 20 years ago they were not much more than us.Why would they deserve this honour?

I say go foreign.Uruguayan national team anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here