Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BIG name opposition at Falmer according to Andy Naylor

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Glad you said that. Much as I can't wait, I'm still thinking that a friendly at a two thirds full ground against a Premier League's third choice XI might ruin the magic of it all for me.

I want memories of a big build up, a full house and a game that matters, not a Noddy occasion with an atmosphere like those Sky Masters five a side games. Much as I'll be itching to find out what Falmer's like, and will be more so from reading reports from fans who do go to the friendlies, I think I'd rather hold out.

I've waited thirteen years: I can hang on another week for a proper game.

This is a good point, well made.
I've already completely ruled myself out of going to a limited capacity ramp-up event. A friendly against a Prem side would HAVE to be a maximum capacity sellout to tempt me along, otherwise I'll keep my powder dry for the first proper competative game there (and hope to christ its not a poxy 1st round League Cup tie).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If we organised a game against a top Premier League side, we would certainly not be playing an XI.

Er...we would, in the same way that our team would be a mix of players.

Arsene Wenger is not going to sling out his entire first choice team for a friendly against us. And even if he did...it's a friendly. I don't care. They are crap and serve only to get players fit, and to excite or depress the more gullible fans to a disproportionate degree.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Er...we would, in the same way that our team would be a mix of players.

Arsene Wenger is not going to sling out his entire first choice team for a friendly against us. And even if he did...it's a friendly. I don't care. They are crap and serve only to get players fit, and to excite or depress the more gullible fans to a disproportionate degree.

Well no, they wouldn't. Teams such as Crawley play Cheslea/Arsenal XI's, as they are around the same standard. If we organised a game against a top side, they would certainly put out a 'mix' as you say, and that mix would be both top quality, fringe, and youth players.

But fair play if you don't fancy it, that's a different matter.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
This is a good point, well made.
I've already completely ruled myself out of going to a limited capacity ramp-up event. A friendly against a Prem side would HAVE to be a maximum capacity sellout to tempt me along, otherwise I'll keep my powder dry for the first proper competative game there (and hope to christ its not a poxy 1st round League Cup tie).

Pretty certain it wont be......the club have asked for a home game to start the season

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Glad you said that. Much as I can't wait, I'm still thinking that a friendly at a two thirds full ground against a Premier League's third choice XI might ruin the magic of it all for me.

I want memories of a big build up, a full house and a game that matters, not a Noddy occasion with an atmosphere like those Sky Masters five a side games. Much as I'll be itching to find out what Falmer's like, and will be more so from reading reports from fans who do go to the friendlies, I think I'd rather hold out.

I agree as well. I'm 'sort of' hoping that I won't be able to get a ticket for any prestige friendly as think I want my first Falmer experience to be a 'proper' game. (This view could well change as the season progresses!)

I certainly don't want to go to any 'ramp up' event - but again I might change my mind!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty certain it wont be......the club have asked for a home game to start the season

Indeed. Its not yet been granted though.
Which won't overly bother me as long as we're drawn away in the Cup (assuming we're still playing at this level next August of course). I can wait another week for the First Game Proper.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh please, for fucks sake........do you honestly think that Doncaster would even be considered ? Go get a life, or a sense of humour...please?

Christ, calm down a bit will you love ?

I'm not suggesting that I think it will be Doncaster - I'm just responding with my opinion to some posters who have suggested them as first opponents, as they were the last ones at the Goldstone. Its not the first time its been mooted on here.

:rolleyes:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Christ, calm down a bit will you love ?

I'm not suggesting that I think it will be Doncaster - I'm just responding with my opinion to some posters who have suggested them as first opponents, as they were the last ones at the Goldstone. Its not the first time its been mooted on here.

:rolleyes:

Youd get 5,000 for Donny . Its not a case of calming down, its a case of common sense.

We are talking a big pre season friendly against a big, big club.
Why do even consider Donny ?...Im sure your an intelligent person, but frankly your answer leaves me scratching my head in amazement.
It may not be the first time its been mooted here, but if you think its a possibility, then i am bewildered

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I THINK that this is my view too. I reserve the right to change my mind though, or to let my kids BULLY me into going.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Youd get 5,000 for Donny . Its not a case of calming down, its a case of common sense.

We are talking a big pre season friendly against a big, big club.
Why do even consider Donny ?...Im sure your an intelligent person, but frankly your answer leaves me scratching my head in amazement.
It may not be the first time its been mooted here, but if you think its a possibility, then i am bewildered

The club will be required to stage some below capacity ramp-up events in order to get the safety certificate for the stadium. Therefore its not completely out of the realms that a match might be organised against the likes of Donnie, with the capacity restricted to (say) 10,000. Its not something I'd be fussed about at all, but look back on any number of threads / polls on here about first opponents, and Doncaster always gets a mention.

They'll obviously be looking to have a glamorous pre-season friendly against a Premiership team AS WELL, that goes without saying. But I say again - I was merely professing my opinion towards those who favour a Donnie friendly that its not something I personally would be fussed about going to.

OK ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here