Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best chant at a football ground?

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Jason Speaks said:
soccerbase does.
The final season at the Goldstone and probably the most complete strikeforce ever to grass the hallowed turf Christer Warren and the genius of Nigerian international football David Adekola.

English Division 3 - KO 19:45
Brighton 1 (0) - 2 (2) Cambridge
Storer 50
Kyd 21
Richards 43

At Goldstone Ground on 12-10-1996

Brighton: Rust ,Smith (sent off 87) ,Neal ,Parris ,Allan ,Hobson ,Minton (Mundee ,23 ) ,Peake ,Adekola (0 ,0 ) ,Warren ,McDonald
Subs not used: McGarrigle,

Cambridge: Barrett ,Joseph ,Granville ,Thompson ,Craddock ,Raynor ,Richards ,Hyde ( Wanless ,76 ) ,Kyd ( Hayes ,45 ) ,Barnwell ( Palmer ,54 ) ,Beall

Bookings: Storer (Brighton) Hyde (Cambridge)

Attendance: 4564

I knew someone would know the scorers and the attendence!

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Max's Dad said:
Who was that keeper in front of the North Stand who appeared to have got in a muddle with his kit?

I always remember the chant: "Shorts on/back to front/shorts on shorts on back to front!"

May have been Swansea's Roger Freestone, or "Roger Sheep" as we called him.

Reading this has just reminded me of when Mervyn Daye (not sure if I've spelt that right) of Leeds came out and grabbed the crossbar in front of the North Stand and got his feet caught in the net! Kick off was delayed will they pulled him out. F**ckin' hilarious!

One of my all time favourite games. 2-2. Crumplin last minute equalizer and that rather bizarre Ian Chapman own goal.

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
pasty said:

Also remember quite a few years back when Watford started off the kids enclosure thing, which brought about the chant "We're gonna nick your sweets and lollipops"

That was my first ever Albion match back in 1989. Sticks in the memory.

What about 'You're going to Forest Green' sung to the tune of kay sara sung to the Shrewsbury fans.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Seagullmatt said:
Reading this has just reminded me of when Mervyn Daye (not sure if I've spelt that right) of Leeds came out and grabbed the crossbar in front of the North Stand and got his feet caught in the net! Kick off was delayed will they pulled him out. F**ckin' hilarious!

One of my all time favourite games. 2-2. Crumplin last minute equalizer and that rather bizarre Ian Chapman own goal.

God I remember that game. Ian Chapman won own goal of the season for that. I remember a chant that day to the Leeds fans (who had all of the East Terrace) 'Is that all you take away' Some of them were apoplectic with rage.

After the game they invaded the pitch and ran towards the North Stand. I absolutely wet myself and ran out.

My memory has Gotsmanov Equalising though? Wouldn't put money on it I hasten to add.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Easy 10 said:
Also heard the chant from West Ham fans at Anfield a season or two ago:

"We've got Di Canio, you've got our stereos"
"We've got Di Canio, you've got our stereos"

I was at that game, Easy. Top banter that day as WHU had just put Utd out of the Cup at Old Trafford (the day when that goalkeeping pillock just stood there with one arm up as Di Canio scored past him) so the Liverpool fans were feeling quite well disposed towards them.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
strangest I heard was at Ajax - for some reason they where singing popeye the sailor - had it stuck in my head for days!

Hole in yer telly @ Wolves and Mexican wave @ Forest really stick out - but a good ole rendition of "sussex by the Sea" is number 1

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Hannibal smith said:

After the game they invaded the pitch and ran towards the North Stand. I absolutely wet myself and ran out.

My memory has Gotsmanov Equalising though? Wouldn't put money on it I hasten to add.

I think Gotsmanov got the first one. John Crumplin definately equalised with a header near the end. I was about 14 and was also shit scared when they ran on the pitch. I'm also sure it was the week before the infamous visit of Leeds to Bournemouth.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Johnny Crumplin football genius, ah, those were the days.

Shit for so long, then suddenly everyone's hero. Mind you, to be called shit in the days of Dale Jasper was quite some insult.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you all hate Bellotti clap your hands
If you all hate Bellotti
If you all hate Bellotti

And we'd clap for about 10 minutes afterwards.

There's no-one there, there's no-one there.

The first time we did that at Orient.

QPR: Town full of queers, you're just a town full of queers
Us, in reply: CITY full of queers, we're just a city full of queers

Oh, Barry Lloyd is unemployed, oh, Barry Lloyd is unemployed...

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Apparently Wimbledon fans were singing, a few seasons back to the tune of Chim-Chimmernee:

Ship-Shipperley, Ship-Shipperley
Ship-Ship, Sheroo;
You're not Ronaldo
but f*** it, you'll do...

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Not a chant as such but heard shouted at Matt Messias (ref)

He's not the real Messias
He's a very naughty boy!

(with acknowledgement to Monty Python of course)

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
a couple of seasons ago when Bolton were winning at Man Utd. and the Bolton fans started singing
"can we play you every week" :lolol: :lolol:

and of course build a bonfire is a great song
also against plymouth at withdean this season "your big sister is your mum" and "top of the league your having a laugh" :clap2:

Rod Thomas

Dec 29, 2003
Liverpool
A few years ago we played at Brentford in the cup and lost on penalties. Not very rememberable but we somehow got into singing 'Blue Army' and carried on non-stop for about 30 minutes. Awesome

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Apparently Wimbledon fans were singing, a few seasons back to the tune of Chim-Chimmernee:

Ship-Ship, Sheroo;
You're not Ronaldo

Class. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
Have to be 'Build a Bonfire' and 'Just like watching Brazil' at Fans United game

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

Ship-Ship, Sheroo;
You're not Ronaldo
i was genna say this one!

i think its "but you'll f***ing do" at the end.

STU

Feb 6, 2004
When Brentford were beating us 4-0 this season.

(to the tune of one danny cullip!!!)- you couldn't score in a gay bar!. That was the best gay jibe i think we've had

Very shortly after a well publicised marital infidelity by Tommy Docherty (who was managing Aston Villa at the time), Birmingham City supporters took the opportunity to taunt him with "Who's up Mary Brown?"

I was there. My mother (who knew Mrs Docherty) didn't think it was at all funny.

:lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here