• Pink Floyd

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
NMH said:
Having just got home from their gig tonight at the Hollywood Bowl, I am reminded that the best band ever to walk England's green and pleasant land are indeed the 'orrible 'oo !!

As a Who fanatic I'm inclined to agree, although being too young to take in the 70s era live I've only seen them in 89, 90 and 98 and at all of these gigs they were past it so I'd hope they weren't getting your vote off the back of this Townshend/Daltrey Hollywood gig alone.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
SNUFF, innit

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Where the bloody hell is Madness on that list? Not necessarily great, but they had/have a quality of enjoyment, fun and not taking yourself toooooo seriously - asd well as some great tunes. I still voted for The Who, but Madness' ommission is scandalous.

swiss tony

Aug 3, 2004
Honduras
Might be more meaningful to do best of decades:
60s The Beatles
70s The Who
80s The Smiths (very closely followed by New Order)
90s The Stone Roses
00s NOT The Libertines

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I went for The Who but was very tempted to say the Libertines who fukcing KICK ASS.

ps Watch out for the bew Embrace album y'all. It might sound weird but it's meant to be the best british album for years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have just read some of the stuff on here and I am sorry Richie, you are an arse!

Oasis are better than the Beatles? Do me a favour.

You are of a different age to me. When I lived in South Africa it was an offence to broadcast Beatles music and we used to have to listen to radio LM ( Lorenzo marques - Mozambique) who in the same way as Caroline, broadcast music from outside the country. People so wanted to hear Beatles music they would drive up country to listen to LM. That is the effect the Beatles had on people.

Are you suggesting that any Oasis Album comes anywhere near Sg Peppers? or Rubber Soul? or Magical Mystery Tour for that matter?

Paul McCartney sells out stadiums in every part of the world from Moscow to Rio to Los Angeles to Copenhagen 42 years after releasing Please Please Me. Do you seriously think The Gallagher Brothers will be touring Russia in 40 years time?

Music is a very subjective subject and depends, like food or wine on peoples taste.

I for one can't believe you have left out Genesis and Supertramp from that list.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
LOL

I actually list Selling England By The Pound ( Genesis) and Crime of the Century( Supertramp) in my top 10 Albums.

Dave the Gaffers top ten albums

1. Sgt Peppers - Beatles
2. Four Symbols - LZ
3. Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
4. Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy
5. Abraxus - Santana
6. Carnival - Santana
7. One of These Nights - Eagles
8. Luxury Liner - Emmylou Harris
9. Crime of the Century - Supertramp
10. The Roaring Silence - Manfred Manns Earthband

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dave, most people's perception of Genesis is Phil Collin's band and I confess that I'm not a big fan. When Peter Gabriel was front man they were a totally different and much better band and I agree "selling England"is a masterpiece.

Supertramp however...:nono:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
swiss tony said:
Might be more meaningful to do best of decades:
60s The Beatles
70s The Who
80s The Smiths (very closely followed by New Order)
90s The Stone Roses
00s NOT The Libertines

Good call, though can I possibly throw into the ring

70's The Clash
00's The Streets

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Richie Morris said:
Oasis are far better musically then the beatles.

I'm sorry - Oasis are the ultimate in "Style over Substance". The Beatles set the standard.

The Beatles put out a phenomenal amount of music during their fairly brief (all of their work was produced in a period less than 9 years) career.

Each album was subty different - there was a progression about it. Abbey Road and Let it be were brilliant at the end, considering the level of animosity within the group. Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Pepper all redifined, IMHO, the boundaries of modern popular music, and were key happenings in the culture of the time in their own right. Everything Oasis did was media hype driven. It was the Beatles that paved the way for all other groups, Oasis included, to be able to manipulate the media in that way.

Having said all that - I can't believe the New Seekers aren't in the list. They'd have got my vote!!

maxinquaye

Jul 26, 2004
Richie Morris said:
Oasis are far better musically then the beatles.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh Jesus, that cracked me up...

I've been reading NSC for years. Promotion, relegation and the Falmer debate didn't prompt me to post anything.

But that? Oh man, *that's* funny shit!

Must have been 10 minutes since I read that and I'm still pissing myself!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Nice one! :jester:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The Manic's get my vote.

No band has ever ment as mush to me as them. Sadly most people have never heard their first few albums and only go on a few singles they have heard on the radio.

The best live band I have ever seen as well!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Mr. Morris, please can you get me a surgon. I have spilit my sides and my internal organs are now on the floor. Oasis are better than The Beatles. Absolute popycock!

I also seem to rember That's Entertainment sounding very much like a Beatle track, (Taxman) I think.

However, what got me into music in the first place was my Uncle playing Dark Side Of The Moon in 1975. A marvellous album, and hence why I have voted for Pink Floyd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here