• The Verve

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Pink Floyd

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Cheeky Monkey said:
As a Who fanatic I'm inclined to agree, although being too young to take in the 70s era live I've only seen them in 89, 90 and 98 and at all of these gigs they were past it so I'd hope they weren't getting your vote off the back of this Townshend/Daltrey Hollywood gig alone.

For the last bit; Not at all CM, I saw them several times with Keith Moon (only twice since his death), and might I just mention QUADROPHENIA....the most incredible album by anyone? It spanks ANY and EVERY Beatles album works inc SGT Pepper (or Revolver or Abbey Road, LPs I liked more), and there has not been a superior set in music, imho.

Dylan's Blood On the Tracks or Bringing It All back Home (disregarding the British titles for a moment, to compare with all the World's music) were outstanding as records - but the magnificence of Quadrophenia has proved unsurpassable so far. Also a 'concept LP', it stands as a work of towering genius.
Live, The WHO just have too much strength of material to draw from, and they have never been underpowered in delivering the goods when I've seen them.
The Beatles are difficult to assess live, as their brilliant compositions over their career were drowned out by screaming girls, on radio broadcasts tamed by BBC coldness, and their early retirement from gigging left us bereft of much evidence (and them of income!)

Queen were outstanding as a live spectacle indeed, but their LPs I found inconsistent or over the top. The Stones too were always a good live act, and Let It Bleed has to be considered a top record of rock too. They run close imho, but yet I still regard Quad as a higher work.
Led Zeppelin stand among the greatest too, although occasionally coming across as contrived (Plant's flowery meanderings were repetitive and trite) and self-indulgent (drum solos for 30 minutes never endeared me to a band) but they did have their acoustic set among the heavies, which were memorable.
Pink Floyd. Now, this band also made some excellent 60's singles, and Dark Side - The Wall - Meddle - Wish You Were Here - Division Bell .....all astounding albums!! Live they blow minds, a transcendent experience.

In comparison though, the WHO ran the adrenaline a notch higher, and the higher planes reached were something of a visual or aural union between band and audience.

Nope, I just cannot think of anyone better than The WHO

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
NMH

I saw The Who live in 1967 and disagree with you but then I have been a dyed in the wool Beatles fan for 42 years having bought the very first single Love me Do which only got to 17 in the charts.

I thought it was 14 ? Ok, but Can't Explain OWNS Love Me Do! Jimmy Page on guitar for that Who single, Alan White on Drums for the Beatles I believe.

Substitute, Kids Are Alright, Happy Jack, I Can See For Miles, Pinball Wizard, My Generation..... these recordings totally rule, and Tommy and Quadrophenia leave Sgt Pepper in the dust. Live concerts ended for The Beatles in 1966 in America (a short rooftop performance doesn't count for anything much).

My band's better than YOUR band :p

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Who rule.

The Beatles were naff.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a baffoon who does not deserve to have better taste and thus fully appreciate the genius' that were the who.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
The Who rule.

The Beatles were naff.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a baffoon who does not deserve to have better taste and thus fully appreciate the genius' that were the who.

More Bollox from the resident BUFFOON :p

swiss tony

Aug 3, 2004
Honduras
One thing I am finding particularly hard to swallow about this thread is the number of people saying Queen. Maybe the fact that I missed "the fun" of the 70s means I don't get it, but to me they are just a pantomime act - over the top, AOR, meaningless shite. What the hell was/is the attracation???
I wait to be educated................

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
swiss tony said:
One thing I am finding particularly hard to swallow about this thread is the number of people saying Queen. Maybe the fact that I missed "the fun" of the 70s means I don't get it, but to me they are just a pantomime act - over the top, AOR, meaningless shite. What the hell was/is the attracation???

I think you've worked it out for yourself. Freddie Mercury was a great showman but Queen , to me anyway, are like ABBA. good commercial music but there was nothing new or different and not substantial enough to be considered the greatest. A glam rock band really and not even the best of those, Marc Bolan takes that crown.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
swiss tony said:

I guess it depends upon what you want from music - you've classed them as a pantomine act, to others they are the epitome of total entertainment, which can't be a bad thing. As with the arguement against the Beatles because some of their lyrics are a little simplistic, what are you assessing here? Lyrics akin to fine literature, or great showmen and creators?

Queen spanned genre effortlessly, and in my view like few others. Mercury was an utter genius, and they collaberated as a foursome like few others - each member wrote several major hits, unlike other bands who are led by a single driving force who writes all the songs, or have their lyrics done for them. Just becuase they were capable of being self-deprecating, this doesn't negate the possibility of them being taken seriously

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richie Morris said:
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods!

Silly boy.

There were people on this site who really were mods not some modern copycat wannabee

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just realised.

Where exactly are the Super Furry Animals on this poll, Mr Morris? They are clearly the most imaginative, talented and soulful band that these Isles have ever produced. Nobody can argue with that because it's the f***ing TRUTH.

Musically and lyrically they are untouchable and their live shows are something else.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
theres some shyte on that list . . .I mean .. .the Libertines ? some of you are as f***ed up as the band ! :rolleyes:

I'd additional to the above good bands an honourable mention also goes to

The Faces
Free
Caravan (first three albums only)
Keef Hartley Band (with Miller Anderson)
Madness
The Buzzcocks

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Richie Morris said:
The Who rule.

The Beatles were naff.

he he . . .misguided oasis fan psudo mod perhaps

:rolleyes:

The small Faces where mods . . . the Who where rockers in disguise ! still bloody great though :clap2:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Jesus christ, the who better than the Beatles. The who hardly beat the Troggs.

It's a little sad to see how few votes the Stones are getting, but I guess it's their own fault for turning into such a pantomine. I reckon if they'd called it a day in the seventies they'd be much better thought of.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I still think the Faces were the most under-rated British band ever ... been listening to a lot of their stuff recently and it is awesome ....

also amazing when you think that Ron Wood went on to the Stones, Kenny Jones to the Who, Ronnie Lane (RIP) then had a superb solo career and Ian McLagen supported many great rockers (including Bob Dylan) .... and of course Rodney did rather well too ...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever happened to Peter Frampton? - The Herd, Camel and a pretty succesfull solo career for a while. Particularly liked Humble Pie with him and Stevie Marriott.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
is it just me or are the Libertines overrated?

think thier first album is average ,and someone gave me a pirate copy of their new album which at the moment sounds avarage as well. they are a good pub band.

Madness are one of the best bands the country has produced. still touring today and pulling in the crowds,

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Have Cream had a mention in this thread??? They have to be up there as one of the all time greats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here