Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkhamp - 'Not Gus's Signing'

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
thats a bit of a stretch their NMH, Maybank was average agreed, but for many years our highest ever fee received was £900k for a Mr Mark Lawrenson, bought by Mullery for just £100k...... hardly shit?

Didnt Mullery ask the team who was their most difficult defender to play against and was told ML, so signed him. I doubt that Gus would do that and is his own man who will stand and fall by his decisions not just to please others. As has been said if he wasnt a Gus signing he wouldnt have been with the squad at BH yesterday but with the squad at Havant on Saturday.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Frankly, the thread starter deserves a few apologies.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Why? Because of a reserve game when you have no idea if he is injured or not?

Because people were bigging him up as someone that was going to start regularly and bang them in, he hasn't even made the bench in the league, so some of the comments directed at the OP are a f***ing disgrace because he was clearly correct.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Because people were bigging him up as someone that was going to start regularly and bang them in, he hasn't even made the bench in the league, so some of the comments directed at the OP are a f***ing disgrace because he was clearly correct.

How was he correct? Do you know as fact that Bergkamp was not a Gus signing then

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What a very strange bounce of an old thread, especially considering there is nothing to suggest that the original post was right. Which it almost certainly wasn't.

patricksullivan

Jun 17, 2011
Hove
i haven't read through the entire thread but as the original source states he wasn't a Gus signing, this guy was brought in to the club not by Zigor but by John Stevenson. Gus and John never really did see eye to eye as he wasn't up to standard and not professional enough, his 6 point process of signing players couldn't work. I had a meeting with Gus around the time, and subsequently in Portugal and got the feeling that he just isn't good enough yet!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i haven't read through the entire thread but as the original source states he wasn't a Gus signing, this guy was brought in to the club not by Zigor but by John Stevenson. Gus and John never really did see eye to eye as he wasn't up to standard and not professional enough, his 6 point process of signing players couldn't work. I had a meeting with Gus around the time, and subsequently in Portugal and got the feeling that he just isn't good enough yet!

Isn't that why he is in the development squad and not the first team squad so that he can develope. That is still not proof or any indication that he was signed against Gus 's wishes just that he isnt ready YET.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It would be a good idea to before posting.
very unprofessional not to obtain as much info as possible that is available on a subject.

About 90% of this thread is full of wind-up posts, and inaccurate conclusions based on inaccurate assumptions. Not reading the whole thing was a blessing in disguise.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Isn't that why he is in the development squad and not the first team squad so that he can develope. That is still not proof or any indication that he was signed against Gus 's wishes just that he isnt ready YET.
I'm fairly sure Bergkamp hasn't once appeared in a development squad yet. It does seem a slightly odd one.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No one knows anything for sure so can we not simply assume that Bergkamp was not a Gus signing.

It was also said that he wouldn't be given a squad number - but he was, and appeared on the bench for the Gillingham game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here