Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkhamp - 'Not Gus's Signing'

You will not see him in the First team next season.

I don't need to tell you who I was told by. same old NSC hear something they don't like, that defiantly cant be true.

in actual fact we probably don't have to wait all to long, until people find out and see for themselves.

If you dont believe me, fine i really don't care, was just passing on information.

The reason people are doubting you is certainly at least in part down to the fact that people don't want to hear it; but it also flies in the face of logic. I don't think you can blame people for being sceptical.

I find it hard to believe that Gus would be comfortable with someone else being in charge of recruitment; as I understand it currently Stephenson and Bloom (or more likely someone else on his behalf) deal with all of the 'logistics' of the signing (i.e. monetary discussions) but Poyet has the final say on whether or not to sign someone. If that situation has changed it's only likely to push Poyet out of the door, and Bloom seems more intelligent than to do something that will upset his young, talented manager. I'm not saying it's not true (I have no idea), just that it doesn't make much logical sense.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I don't need to tell you who I was told by. same old NSC hear something they don't like, that defiantly cant be true.

in actual fact we probably don't have to wait all to long, until people find out and see for themselves.

If you dont believe me, fine i really don't care, was just passing on information.

wow thats a big call Munkfish, you're saying someone who has just signed a 2 year deal will never get in the first team in the whole of next season.

Can you tell me what the euromillions numbers are tonight as well please?

There is so much rumour and innuendo flying around you'd be wise to recognise that, i don't believe this story at all (not Gus signing)..... though i do believe you wrote, dodgy info in good faith.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's intriguing that there is always someone who wants to create mischief in any situation. In this instance Gus' quote when the lad signed very clearly put this into the malicious gossip category and I very much suspect that the OP will confirm that the person who started it has no connection with the club (although I'm sure they will claim a mystery source who cannot be named).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The thread starter isn't known to start bullshit.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Munkfish has been around some time and doesnt have a history of putting rubbish on here. Quite possibly Bergkamp has been poor since his arrival however Im sure Gus okeyed the transfer before it happened. If there is anything wrong with what Munkfish has put on here itll be because of the source, not him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The reason people are doubting you is certainly at least in part down to the fact that people don't want to hear it; but it also flies in the face of logic. I don't think you can blame people for being sceptical.

I find it hard to believe that Gus would be comfortable with someone else being in charge of recruitment; as I understand it currently Stephenson and Bloom (or more likely someone else on his behalf) deal with all of the 'logistics' of the signing (i.e. monetary discussions) but Poyet has the final say on whether or not to sign someone. If that situation has changed it's only likely to push Poyet out of the door, and Bloom seems more intelligent than to do something that will upset his young, talented manager. I'm not saying it's not true (I have no idea), just that it doesn't make much logical sense.

I have never stated, that Gus doesnt sign our players, however on this occasion it wasnt his decsion...

Its going to be very unlikley that he will command a large weekley salary and im sure the fee if anything was very small to sign him, im sure the shirt sales will cover his transfer alone (hopefully i wont be printing them if the thread titles anything to go by) not really the biggest decsion of the summer so far, so not exactly hard to believe this was the case.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I find it hard to believe that Gus would be comfortable with someone else being in charge of recruitment; Poyet has the final say on whether or not to sign someone. If that situation has changed it's only likely to push Poyet out of the door, and Bloom seems more intelligent than to do something that will upset his young, talented manager. I'm not saying it's not true (I have no idea), just that it doesn't make much logical sense.

This

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He was signed for the development squad and was identified by Stephenson.

He isn't likely to be a key feature, hence the two year contract, he is one for the future and I'd be surprised if he doesn't play any role. Although it is likely to be limited.

Gus had the final say and was happy to bring him in.

There is some truth in what you say but I think it's been exaggerated slightly.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
How come everyone else has a source instead of me. If anyone out there has two sources then please can you lend me one.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I don't believe for a second that Gus didn't want him. Not having a go, like, but I just don't think there's any truth in that whatsoever.

These are not the words of someone who has been bypassed, decision-wise.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I have never stated, that Gus doesnt sign our players, however on this occasion it wasnt his decsion...

Its going to be very unlikley that he will command a large weekley salary and im sure the fee if anything was very small to sign him, im sure the shirt sales will cover his transfer alone (hopefully i wont be printing them if the thread titles anything to go by) not really the biggest decsion of the summer so far, so not exactly hard to believe this was the case.

Not a huge surprise tbh. Bergkamp will probably be loaned out anyway - can't see him breaking into the first 11.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Spot on [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION], and other peeps need to calm down a tad.

Sorry, but to me you've contradicted yourself in the same sentence! Either he is responsible for signing all of our players, or he isn't. And I firmly believe that if he wasn't, he would have walked in the summer to one of the jobs he was linked to (e.g. West Ham).

Having said that, it may depend upon the role envisaged for Bergkamp. I can believe that 'development squad' players may not be signed off formally by Gus, but then they tend to be on short-term contract (max 1 year) and shots into the dark (players that have not been extensively scouted but are very cheap). The two-year contract handed to Bergkamp, and the fact that he's relatively high profile (playing in the Eriedivisie) make him, in my eyes at least, a first-team squad signing.

There are also the various quotes attributed to Gus (on the club website and BBC, etc.) on the signing of Bergkamp. If he wasn't involved in the decision to sign him, why would he have all these positive things to say? Poyet strikes me as a tempramental South American (just going by his touchline antics!) - I can't believe he'd happily tow the club line and provide nice quotes if he wasn't involved.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

He isn't likely to be a key feature, hence the two year contract, he is one for the future and I'd be surprised if he doesn't play any role. Although it is likely to be limited.

This. Depends how you qualify "Gus' signing". For example CMS was clearly Gus saying "I've seen him and I want him" whereas Bergkamp was suggested to him. He would have obviously cleared it however. Also he might have been a bit crap in training, don't see why that's not implausible.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
monkfish.jpg

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Yep, won't have been Poyet's find originally and would be recommended by the scout, rather than Gus choosing him but will not have gone through without Poyet's say so. Storm in a teacup.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
This is a complete Non Story

As Biscuit says, he has been brought in to the Development Squad, which Gus has been largely responsible for as part of his 4 year Plan. Some players in the Development Squad will make it in to the first team, others wont. That's Life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here