Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkhamp - 'Not Gus's Signing'

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
:dunce:

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
If any of this were true, then I would be very concerned. The last thing we want is to start pissing Gus off by signing players that he does not want. How many times have we seen this before at other clubs. As the quote said, player was flagged by the scouting network, but I would rather believe Gus still had full control on whether we sign him or not. Any signings made while he is manager will reflect on him. Gus does not seem like a manager who would be flippant enough to just let this one go without serious thought.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Thats funny because gus was only saying last week that he got potential, but not to compare him to his uncle as they are 2 very different players. So that would suggest he was Gus's signing

TKC

Jun 16, 2011

wakokid

Jun 10, 2011
Lancing
I was told last night that Young Mr Bergkhamp, was not Gus's signing and he is not going to be in Gus's plans either and that is why he still looking for another striker.

Begkhamp so far has been very poor in training and really has not impressed at all. apparently he is all 'arms and legs' and has an awful touch. makes Chris Wood look like a footballing genius.

I was certainly disappointed when I was told this, however I'm not going to right him off until I have seem him myself, although doesn't look like we will be getting much chance.

But surely no one within the club is going to say this about one of their own players?? Even if they thought it they would not make it public (or at least one would hope not) unless they are completely unprofessional... so this information has either come from someone within the club who is unprofessional and therefore not a reliable source, or it has come from someone outside of the club, which again makes it unreliable.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I think it's fair to say Bergkamp would of been down at Havant yesterday if Gus had no interest in him.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This is complete rubbish, Bergkamp had a tour of the stadium on Saturday 25th June with Gus as well as his father and agent. For those who want proof they spent about 30 minutes down by the seats for the dug outs chatting and they are on the web cam at 12:00.

Gus knew about him and from the conversation that I overheard was trying to convince him Brighton was the best place for him to be

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If he turns out to be pony we can always loan him out to Palace who might need a striker to replace Muzza who isn't up to the job in the Championship.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We have 3 great Championship strikers in CMS, Hoskins and Barnes plus Buckley who would surely be 4th choice and shift position if he prefers playing there but is essentially a right forward in a 4-3-3 type formation.

Bergkamp and Agdestine (sp) are the competition to appear on the bench should one of those 4 be missing. Most of their time will be spent playing for the development squad which John Stephenson is in charge of recruiting for?

Sure Gus will come to the development table with contacts and suggestions such as the Chelsea lads (or JS will use Gus's contacts) but on first team matters or even borderline matters I'm sure his job is to 'suggest' players for Gus to make a study and decision on but also to go and get the ones Gus ultimately wants.

If Gus said after loosing Murray "CMS is my main target, I want him above all others".
"That would leave us with only one pure target man so I don't want competition tomorrow for the position since Hoskins can do a job there and I have plan B-F for this eventuality but JS, go out and find me a promising back-up target man who can do a job in 5 (sub or LC) appearances a season".
"Most importantly he must be a mobile target man, able to pass the ball fast on the deck, speak English, and as well as primarily holding up the ball and linking the other attacking players in I want either good heading ability or height, plus a few goals".

If he wasn't a 'Gus signing' but was the recommendation of possibly the best guy at his job in England in JS who we snagged from Watford with their excellent young squad built on similar budget as now (not in 2-3 years hence some of reason JS came here) then I'm sure we can all (along with Gus) go with the suggestion!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could it simply be a 'committee' decision thata number of people whose opinion Gus trusts and believes in wanted him and Gus was in the minority but chose to accept their opinion being as he appointed them for this reason, as part of his team, and agreed to bring him in to see what will happen and if he can develope as Gus wishes.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
He couldn't look more like a Gus signing if he tried.

(1) Flair name.
(2) Completely off the radar of every other club in the league.
(3) Young, and with something to prove (different from his uncle).
(4) Already shown potential (Dutch U21s).
(5) From the land of tippy-tappy total football.

I rest my case your honour.

I'm not judging him, I'm saying he was bobbins yesterday, there's a difference.

An odd signing as far as I can tell. Didn't look special in the clips of him - perhaps a bit of a shot in the dark based on his genetic background!
That would be a bit chancy - I mean for example Leon Hendrix is not all that interesting on guitar, though his brother Jimi has a speck of talent.

It makes me wonder if this WAS a Gus signing, but through advice from an old mate - doing someone a favour. That would be similar to Mullery's signing of Maybank from his old buddies at Fulham. Maybank was toilet, and a sign that Mullers was a good motivator but no clue about tactics or spotting talent.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Mullers was a good motivator but no clue about tactics or spotting talent.

thats a bit of a stretch their NMH, Maybank was average agreed, but for many years our highest ever fee received was £900k for a Mr Mark Lawrenson, bought by Mullery for just £100k...... hardly shit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here