Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkhamp - 'Not Gus's Signing'

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Does anyone know how to edit the thread title?, I PM'd Munfish suggesting title changed to

"Bergkamp - was he Gus's signing?" rather than the more definitive "not Gus signing"...... I can see an influx of pests from the top end of the A23 running with this, however speculative.

Munkfish offered to edit title but unsure how to....any suggestions?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He was signed for the development squad and was identified by Stephenson.

He isn't likely to be a key feature, hence the two year contract, he is one for the future and I'd be surprised if he doesn't play any role. Although it is likely to be limited.

Gus had the final say and was happy to bring him in.

There is some truth in what you say but I think it's been exaggerated slightly.

I honestley believed he would be a key figure in the first team next season, thats why i was suprised to hear what i was told and thats why i have passed it on.

If i thought he was going to be a development squad player this would be a non-story.

Anyway, lets wait and see how he turns out, Gus's signing or not.

Oct 25, 2003
let's be honest.......cms and hoskins are probably our number 1 partnership......then at the moment (with 7 subs) barnes and bergkamp would be on the bench, fighting it out for 3rd and 4th choice

so i also doubt that bergkamp will be in the first team- on the fringes of, yes, but not in the first team

remember that he also has the disadvantage that the other 3 don't have in that he has to a) adapt to a new country, and b) adapt to a new style of play

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Munkfish isn't someone who makes up stories but we all get told things which are ostensibly from a decent source and which we have no reason, on the face of it, to disbelieve so no problem with it being repeated on here (where better?). In this instance I simply think that it isn't true and I have every reason to suppose that I am more likely to be right.

The suggestion is clearly that if he isn't Gus' signing then he is John Stephenson's and I well remember the suggestion when he joined us that Gus wasn't happy with his appointment. Now I did a fair bit of snooping and from my (limited but not unconnected) sources that rumour seemed not to be true. Stephenson, on the face of it, saves Gus a fair bit of work while keeping his distance from the actual decision on whether to try to sign a player or not. At Watford Stephenson set up a structure where every potential signing was watched by a whole range of scouts (including the club manager) and a detailed report compliled including not only their footballing abilities but also their personal traits and off field behaviour etc. This report went to the manager and the manager made the final decision on whether he wanted the player or not. Stephenson then conducted the negotiations on behalf of the Board. I can see no reason that would be different here and it would fit in well with Gus' way of working. Certainly Malky Mackay was very happy that it helped rather than hindered him and that he alone made the football-based decisions (admittedly the Board decided affordability but why wouldn't they?)

Regarding Bergkamp, he was, from what I can see, scouted under Zigor Aranalde's watch and it was his recommendation that was followed and lead to his eventual signing. Aranalde was of course Gus' man. Since signing he has had four training sessions and in common with most clubs' early pre-season most of the work is fitness based and not with the ball. Suggesting at this stage and on such limited evidence that the lad cannot play is as likely as suggesting that he is a potential genius based on the videos we have all seen. As Gus very forcibly pointed out in a lengthy interview which was both detailed and supportive, Bergkamp will need time to adjust but he is a young player with potential. I don't think that has changed in the course of the last week.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Munkfish isn't someone who makes up stories but we all get told things which are ostensibly from a decent source and which we have no reason, on the face of it, to disbelieve so no problem with it being repeated on here (where better?). In this instance I simply think that it isn't true and I have every reason to suppose that I am more likely to be right.

You write a very good post and that all makes sense. Its a shame that Munkfish chose to word his opening post in such a conspiratorial and suggestive way, because by asserting something that flies in the face of logic, it has made him look rather stupid

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
How come everyone else has a source instead of me. If anyone out there has two sources then please can you lend me one.

I have three but they are all happy with the current set-up. Sorry SM, you will need to look elsewhere.

I do have an abundence of cheese in my fridge if you are interested?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You write a very good post and that all makes sense. Its a shame that Munkfish chose to word his opening post in such a conspiratorial and suggestive way, because by asserting something that flies in the face of logic, it has made him look rather stupid

Pipe down mate, you havent brought anything to this thread apart from having a dig at me how i write, now either add somthing football related to the thread, or shut up and stop being a complete dick.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I'm afraid my source isn't good for much - a director of another club who knows a fair bit about boardroom type gossip, personalities, and how clubs work but is useless when it comes to the transfer rumours that we all want to hear. He really rates Gus (no surprise there) and described the Stephenson scouting structure (which he knew a great deal about) as a model of how it should be done.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't know how the relationship is between Stephenson and Poyet, but this scenario is quite believable.

I would be surprised if Gus was too unhappy with Stephenson appointment initially, or I am sure he might of vetoed the appointment.

Poyet is one of a few managers that probably holds absolute power on how his club is run and developed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Pipe down mate, you havent brought anything to this thread apart from having a dig at me how i write, now either add somthing football related to the thread, or shut up and stop being a complete dick.

What I'm trying to bring to the thread is a sense of realism in the face of your over-exaggerated second-hand story. I don't care how you write, its what you do with the words that matters. I really don't like it when people try and stir up rumours of disharmony within my club.

Something football-related? We signed Roland Bergkamp from Excelsior. They are Feyenoord's satellite club which could be considered an U-21 team. Their oldest player last year was 26; 16 of the team are 22 or under and most were on loan from Feyenoord. Therefore it is pretty reasonable to consider Bergkamp as part of the development squad - I had earlier imagined he would be straight in the first team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I think u've just backed up his post with your reply.

IMHO

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
how do people become so gullible and stupid

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Munkfish has been around some time and doesnt have a history of putting rubbish on here. Quite possibly Bergkamp has been poor since his arrival however Im sure Gus okeyed the transfer before it happened. If there is anything wrong with what Munkfish has put on here itll be because of the source, not him.

I was thinking the same - Munkfish is well reputed on here, unlike some others

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dont understand the outrage when someone offers snippets of information, true or not.

Munkfish's information seems believable to me as this is how modern day football clubs are run and the relationships between manager and chief scouts/director is key.

If Poyet wishes to publicly disassociate himself from the signing then it might offer an insight into a deteriating relationship, who knows.

If this is unfair on anyone its probably the player, but ultimately Poyets view on any player will soon be made public.

Its called team selections !!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

He isn't likely to be a key feature, hence the two year contract, he is one for the future and I'd be surprised if he doesn't play any role. Although it is likely to be limited.

Not sure who identified him as a good prospect but otherwise this tallies with what I've heard from someone outside the club, who is entirely trustworthy and received their information from what you might call the very best source possible...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

For what it's worth that's pretty much what I was told as well from my 'source'. (And as my source isn't Tony Bloom, Gus Poyet or any other senior figure all I've heard/hear is just office gossip). Not blaming Munkfish (who as others have said is a good poster not known for bullshit) for putting the slant he did on his original post, but I suspect the person who told him is from the same school of 'logic' as brunswick and dingo dan - i.e. someone who gets a couple of facts and extrapolates a totally erroneous, but sensationalist, conclusion.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Am I the only one who is just blissfully happy that we are finally in the position to bring in exciting new talent? Dutch U21 - As a 4/5th striker - Yes please!

Stop trying to analyse everything and enjoy the ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here