Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ben White

Talk of Dunk going is subjective. He's not suddenly going to become an England regular the moment he goes elsewhere, there's too many youngsters around now that the Palace waistcoat will always pick over him. He's better off staying with us and seeing us reach the top.

I hope Lewis stays but the reality is unless we change our wage structure he can more than double his wages with at least 8 other teams in our division. If we pay the rate he’ll stay if we don’t he’ll go imo. He has about 4 career years left to maximise his earnings.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Wolves were a much better team when they got promoted. They walked the Championship.

It’s a little annoying when people talk about Wolves like they’re this breath of fresh air challenging the top 6 out of nowhere.

A huge injection of cash and connections with a portuguese super agent will do that.

They’re basically just Chelski but with better PR.

Wolverhampton Wanderão

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I hope Lewis stays but the reality is unless we change our wage structure he can more than double his wages with at least 8 other teams on our division. If we pay the rate he’ll stay if we don’t he’ll go imo. He has about 4 career years left to maximise his earnings.

What’s left on his contract ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope Lewis stays but the reality is unless we change our wage structure he can more than double his wages with at least 8 other teams in our division. If we pay the rate he’ll stay if we don’t he’ll go imo. He has about 4 career years left to maximise his earnings.

Maybe he's one of the increasing minority of footballers (their agents might not agree) who thinks that £2M a year for the next five years sees me home and dry thanks, I'm happy where I am. Is it really so desperately important to get to £5M a year?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Well he’s going nowhere then. Tony doesn’t sell his best players

Maybe he's one of the increasing minority of footballers (their agents might not agree) who thinks that £2M a year for the next five years sees me home and dry thanks, I'm happy where I am. Is it really so desperately important to get to £5M a year?

I honestly think that IF a big club came in with a serious offer, Albion would be willing to let Dunk leave, given the incredible service he has provided Albion over the years. That is a huge IF though - as far as I am aware, the last firm bid that we received was from WBA (yes, WBA) back in July 2016 when we rejected bids of 7 and 8 million pounds. It was reported that West Ham and Arsenal "registered interest" in the summer of 2018 but I'm not sure there were any definitive bids for him.

Lewis is now 28 (he will be 29 in November). I seriously doubt that any club that could afford to make a bid that Tony would listen to, would be willing to at this stage given Lewis' age. And I haven't seen any sign that he wants out of Brighton. His agent (former Albion player David Lee) said this about him in October 2018:-

He's building a house at the moment in Hassocks. He obviously loves Brighton. You can tell the way he reacts when they have won a game. He loves the club. They have been great to him and he has rewarded them as well. He's happy. If top teams come along then it's a difficult one for the club and the boy but he might have a testimonial in a couple of years and we'll see what happens. There's no rush. Put it this way, he's not going to come to me and say 'Move me on', he never has. Tony (Bloom) has been great with him. Name another player in the Premier League who has signed five five-year contracts on the spin? I've never heard of it. Every year he has improved and they have looked after him, which is fantastic. I know Tony is very proud of having a homegrown player in the team.

Blimey - I think I've just convinced myself he is going to spend the rest of his career with us. :ohmy:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I honestly think that IF a big club came in with a serious offer, Albion would be willing to let Dunk leave, given the incredible service he has provided Albion over the years. That is a huge IF though - as far as I am aware, the last firm bid that we received was from WBA (yes, WBA) back in July 2016 when we rejected bids of 7 and 8 million pounds. It was reported that West Ham and Arsenal "registered interest" in the summer of 2018 but I'm not sure there were any definitive bids for him.

Lewis is now 28 (he will be 29 in November). I seriously doubt that any club that could afford to make a bid that Tony would listen to, would be willing to at this stage given Lewis' age. And I haven't seen any sign that he wants out of Brighton. His agent (former Albion player David Lee) said this about him in October 2018:-

Blimey - I think I've just convinced myself he is going to spend the rest of his career with us. :ohmy:

Wouldn't be surprised.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I wouldn’t worry so much about the wages as we do have some control over that, and we have looked after him with all the new contracts, but the fact he’s not in the England squad when he quite blatently should be is a concern. That issue and a potential side playing in Europe might be tempting for him.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It’s a little annoying when people talk about Wolves like they’re this breath of fresh air challenging the top 6 out of nowhere.

A huge injection of cash and connections with a portuguese super agent will do that.

Wolverhampton Wanderão

Exactly.

You either get promoted with a decent team and a ton of team spirit / togetherness (us, Norwich, Huddersfield, Sheffield United, etc). Or you get through with a squad of players that are very clearly better than the general level of the Championship (Wolves, Newcastle). In your first season, that togetherness can see you carry on - like Huddersfield and now the Blades. However, it's probably quite hard to keep that going, as Huddersfield have shown us.

Clearly the Fulham / Villa approach is highly risky, so Leeds would probably do better by trying to keep hold of as many of the decent loan players, and maybe adding a couple more first teamers and a handful of promising backups. If they survive year 1, they do the same again.

I don't think it's been a particularly strong year in the Championship, but I've not followed as closely as I usually do. It's weird, after a few years of churn it's a different set of teams and players that it feels quite strange.

There is a chance that they'll do really well, but I find it highly unlikely. They sure as shit won't be coming 4th 'like they did last time'.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

Isn’t he our highest earner on £60k a week?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I doubt that eight teams will want to buy Dunk. Tony will expect an exorbitant price, and you've already factored in an expensive wage package. He's now 28 and a half so, even if he is now at his peak, he will have a low re-sale value in three or so years time. There aren't too many teams in the top eight that actually need CBs anyway, I can think of Arsenal and Spurs that he might go to. City need a CB but they'll set their sights elsewhere. Ben White, on the other hand, will be very attractive to a number of suitors.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I've just posted something along similar lines, although less eloquent. I know we shouldn't hold too much of quotations from agents, but that is interesting. Top research, as ever AZ :thumbsup:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Wolverhampton Wanderão

My Wolves-supporting mate hates it when people point out that their team is just the Portuguese squad swopped into an orange kit, thanks to a dodgy super-agent who manages all their contracts. :lolol::lolol:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Great evidence AZG that backs up my gut feeling that as skipper and highest payed player, if he was going to move on it would have happened by now. Chelsea were his boyhood team and there were strong rumours in January but nothing came of it.

My inlaws live near him in Hurstpierpoint and report continuous building improvements each time he signs a new deal. Like Murray, he has no desire to go elsewhere.

Potter will want 3 at the back as at least an option next year, so I think we'll keep Duffy as well as Webster, Burn, Dunk and White.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I doubt that eight teams will want to buy Dunk. Tony will expect an exorbitant price, and you've already factored in an expensive wage package. He's now 28 and a half so, even if he is now at his peak, he will have a low re-sale value in three or so years time. There aren't too many teams in the top eight that actually need CBs anyway, I can think of Arsenal and Spurs that he might go to. City need a CB but they'll set their sights elsewhere. Ben White, on the other hand, will be very attractive to a number of suitors.
As others have said the only teams interested in White are the ones happy to wait to see if he's the real deal, or not.

£80m next year, amazingly, is no different to £35m now.

If White is the real deal this is the only conversation we'll be having in 12 months time, it would just be nice to get there first, instead of being div 4 fans selling off the crown jewels to all the 'big' clubs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Potter will want 3 at the back as at least an option next year, so I think we'll keep Duffy as well as Webster, Burn, Dunk and White.

My gut feeling is that one of those will go: maybe Dunk or White, if we get stupid bids, but my guess is Duffy. You missed out Clarke, Baluta and Ostigard coming back, so even with three at the back, I can't see Potter wanting eight(or seven if Baluta plays midfield) centre backs. And we still have O'Hora, Roberts and Deondonker to come through too.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
My inlaws live near him in Hurstpierpoint and report continuous building improvements each time he signs a new deal. Like Murray, he has no desire to go elsewhere.

I know, it's getting to be a bloody nuisance...

Ambani-460_1739069c.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gut feel for me is that he'll stay. His reputation continues to grow (rare now for a game to be shown where the pundits don't remark on how good he is), he's club captain and fast closing in on legend status (if not already there) - if he sees out his career with us, it'll be worthy of a statue at the Amex. Given his age, if he wants a move to a 'top' club it probably needs to be in the next couple of windows but unless he desperately wants to go I can't see the club listening to any offers given his importance as a leader as well as a defender. Wouldn't be surprised to see Big Shane leave for regular football (would be sorry to see him go but he's only going to get fleeting appearances under Potter), with White replacing him in the squad for next season. His house in Hurst is on some of my regular jogging routes - does look very nice !

Where the club will have big decisions to make are the next couple of seasons as some of the talented youngsters continue to develop - one or more of Maupay, Connolly, Lamptey, White, Alzate etc and the next crop in the U23s could easily start attracting daft bids that we will have to listen to if the players themselves want to move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here