Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It’s a little annoying when people talk about Wolves like they’re this breath of fresh air challenging the top 6 out of nowhere.

A huge injection of cash and connections with a portuguese super agent will do that.

They’re basically just Chelski but with better PR.

Wolverhampton Wanderão

Well, all of us premier league teams are there for a reason and it usually starts with a huge injection of cash.

They are a breath of fresh air, just like Leicester, as the whole Top 6 monopoly was getting stale.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Gut feel for me is that he'll stay. His reputation continues to grow (rare now for a game to be shown where the pundits don't remark on how good he is), he's club captain and fast closing in on legend status (if not already there) - if he sees out his career with us, it'll be worthy of a statue at the Amex. Given his age, if he wants a move to a 'top' club it probably needs to be in the next couple of windows but unless he desperately wants to go I can't see the club listening to any offers given his importance as a leader as well as a defender. Wouldn't be surprised to see Big Shane leave for regular football (would be sorry to see him go but he's only going to get fleeting appearances under Potter), with White replacing him in the squad for next season. His house in Hurst is on some of my regular jogging routes - does look very nice !

Where the club will have big decisions to make are the next couple of seasons as some of the talented youngsters continue to develop - one or more of Maupay, Connolly, Lamptey, White, Alzate etc and the next crop in the U23s could easily start attracting daft bids that we will have to listen to if the players themselves want to move.

Regarding your last sentence/para, if we get daft bids and the player wants to go, then we absolutely should sell. Then we develop a reputation of player development including being a staging post in their career and this will, in turn, reap rewards further down the line as the club that young, talented, hungry players see as their first/early stage of first team PL football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There aren't too many teams in the top eight that actually need CBs anyway, I can think of Arsenal and Spurs that he might go to.

That depends how you define 'need'. They may each have ENOUGH centre backs, but Dunk would improve literally every one of those squads, and most of the starting teams.

He is IMO unquestionably a better player than:

- Baily or Lindelof at United
- Christiansson, Tomori or Zouma at Chelsea
- Mustafi, Sokratis, Luiz or Holding at Arsenal
- Ottamendi or Garcia at Manchester City
- Lovren at Liverpool (and probably at least the equal of Gomez or Matip)
- Morgan at Leicester
- Sanchez or Dier (as a CB) at Spurs (plus Vertonghen is leaving)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That depends how you define 'need'. They may each have ENOUGH centre backs, but Dunk would improve literally every one of those squads, and most of the starting teams.

He is IMO unquestionably a better player than:

- Baily or Lindelof at United
- Christiansson, Tomori or Zouma at Chelsea
- Mustafi, Sokratis, Luiz or Holding at Arsenal
- Ottamendi or Garcia at Manchester City
- Lovren at Liverpool (and probably at least the equal of Gomez or Matip)
- Morgan at Leicester
- Sanchez or Dier (as a CB) at Spurs (plus Vertonghen is leaving)

Not sure I agree with a few of those, but I still think he might be a target for a lot of top clubs this summer. Not completely up to date about who needs to sign homegrown players but iirc City is in a spot where they either need to sign British players or no-one, and I wouldnt be surprised to see them going for him to strengthen their questionable and thin defense.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Regarding your last sentence/para, if we get daft bids and the player wants to go, then we absolutely should sell. Then we develop a reputation of player development including being a staging post in their career and this will, in turn, reap rewards further down the line as the club that young, talented, hungry players see as their first/early stage of first team PL football.

Definitely - I'm expecting one or two diamonds to be unearthed at some point that we get offers for that we simply can't refuse, either financially or for the benefit of the player involved to allow them to play at the highest possible level. If we get 2-3 great seasons in the PL out of a White, Molumby or similar and send them on their way with £50m coming to us then that's fine.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lamptey has to be worth more than White.

3 years younger and has MOMs in the Premier League.

White has not been tested like Lamptey.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The top of the Championship still all set up for a Leeds bottle job. WBA won tonight, Brentford one win from putting Leeds into the playoff places. One can dream.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If Potter has any sense then he would retain Duffy for the simple reason he does not fit the same style of play of the other CBs. He is more physical and better with his heading than any of the others so it gives him options for radical change. He hs also got reasonable eye for goal.

I think White could be made into a defensive midfielder , a roll Dunk could possibly do as well.

f all of them it is Dunk I would keep , he is such brilliant team and club player which gives him an edge on the others.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
White being one of a pair of DMs when we have 4 at the back, but switching into the back line when we mid-game want a back 5/3 is something I could definitely see. With Burn on the field too we would have plenty of PotterBall options.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the english dortmund! :D

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Potter has any sense then he would retain Duffy for the simple reason he does not fit the same style of play of the other CBs. He is more physical and better with his heading than any of the others so it gives him options for radical change. He hs also got reasonable eye for goal.

I think White could be made into a defensive midfielder , a roll Dunk could possibly do as well.

f all of them it is Dunk I would keep , he is such brilliant team and club player which gives him an edge on the others.

If I ever see Dunk or White as holding midfielders I know the wheels have well and truly come off.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The top of the Championship still all set up for a Leeds bottle job. WBA won tonight, Brentford one win from putting Leeds into the playoff places. One can dream.

It would be quite amazing if they missed out again. And highly amusing.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
If I ever see Dunk or White as holding midfielders I know the wheels have well and truly come off.

white has done very well when we have been without phillips and he has slotted into the cdm position, he is a real ball carrying player and looks more than comfortable. i almost prefer him there because we don't have to worry about his wayward heading as much.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Why do you say that. I think Dunk would be more than capable. A couple of seasons ago he was play quite high and making tacklrs in front of the other defenders. Might give him more influence on the game. I think he is underutilized. That said he is our best defender and gaining in one position might be more offset by loosing his last ditch stuff.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
white has done very well when we have been without phillips and he has slotted into the cdm position, he is a real ball carrying player and looks more than comfortable. i almost prefer him there because we don't have to worry about his wayward heading as much.

My point being if the squad has anything about it then he should never have to be utilised there. And central area in the Prem is a different ball game to the Championship as you know.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why do you say that. I think Dunk would be more than capable. A couple of seasons ago he was play quite high and making tacklrs in front of the other defenders. Might give him more influence on the game. I think he is underutilized. That said he is our best defender and gaining in one position might be more offset by loosing his last ditch stuff.

Dunk would get eaten up in midfield in the Prem and in the Championship for that matter. He's a central defender and an excellent one at that. Even considering him another position is folly to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here