Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barn door Barnes

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not in my view.

Well Barnes is no longer a striker (despite being the best finisher at the club), he is an attacking midfielder who creates things and breaks into the box, he did that better than CMS did his job of scoring goals.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
When LuaLua came on there were a couple. Sitting in the East Stand I knew where they were going - but no-one made the run to the near post.

Lua Lua's introduction came to late, and for the final 10 minutes was playing out wide so no hope of him running onto balls in the six yard box. Would it not have been better to have Vicente in that role and CMS up front?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lua Lua's introduction came to late, and for the final 10 minutes was playing out wide so no hope of him running onto balls in the six yard box. Would it not have been better to have Vicente in that role and CMS up front?

Yes it would IMO..... But you mentioned about CMS lack of service and I'm afraid he does not always make good decisions in terms of his movement and that was evident at times last evening.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I don't understand the thinking behind Vicente up front. It is clearly something that Gus sees has potential. At that stage I would have put Toby up front - but what do I know.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
In fairness to Barnes, he had a better game than CMS.

What game did you watch?

CMS was a very close 2nd to WB in the MOM stakes, that was his best performance at the Amex for a while and I feel very postive this will be a good season for him.
Barnes, i dont know, cant work it out, he just struggles with the basic sometimes, first touch, simple pass, run into space (falls over at the slightest touch when in great positions, last night twice).....but then he pulls out a blinding tackle and goal from 20 yards.......but is it enough to have him start every game ahead of the likes of KLL of Buckley, Im not sure.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I don't understand the thinking behind Vicente up front. It is clearly something that Gus sees has potential. At that stage I would have put Toby up front - but what do I know.

same, Vicente pulling the strings in Midfield is what we all want to see and i believe would work best. Can we pull off playing the Spain way in Championship? On current evidence no.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In fairness to Barnes, he had a better game than CMS.

Good grief.... you were not at the same game as most on this board then..... This type of comment just shows that there are surely a good percentage of deranged posters on NSC.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good grief.... you were not at the same game as most on this board then..... This type of comment just shows that there are surely a good percentage of deranged posters on NSC.

Long trip for you to get to the game - what did you make of the performance of your favouritest player?

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
That's a very unfair remark about Barnes. Yes tonight he didn't exactly play too well and seemed a little lost on the pitch, but I seriously can't remember a bad performance from him other than that. Top scorer last season, clinical finisher, he definitely needs to stay.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
God how I've missed post match reaction on NSC.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched Dicker for most of the game and it highlighted for me, as well, just how slow and ponderous he is whether he has the ball or not. Virtually everything bypassed him and he had great difficulty keeping up with the pace of the game or linking purposefully with the rest of the team. He also added very little to the side's performance and did no running of note off the ball. In my view, Dicker should not be starting games. The odd splendid pass to one of his team mates does not justify a place in the first 11 but it would seem that Gus seems something that we don't. If Vicente is unable to start, give me Vincelot any day over Dicker.

Well, this has saved me some time typing, ditto, the guy visible hides at times, he's all pointing and gesturing but unlike say Bridcutt he doesn't truly look for the ball unless he is in acres of space.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Many many people see that. But the problem is some on here would defend a player no matter what, just because he wears the strips.

Ednas post sort of sums it up. Doesn't add anything to back it up, just doesn't like to hear a player critized.

I think the interesting thing with Barnes, is if Poyet left, what a different manager would do with him.

he would have been or second top scorer without pens also believe he might have been top or 2nd on our assist last season also.

Il get the stats after me bath

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It wasn't one of Ashley's best games, that's for sure. He had two chances. The header he should have buried. The other one just wouldn't sit down enough for him to get the shot away, before the two defenders muscled him out of it. (Mr Burn's claim that he 'missed a chance from outside the box' is pretty pathetic, and the kind of thing that undermines his valid points).

What I'll say for Barnes is that his movement in the box is better than anyone else at the club. Yes he missed the header, but there's a reason why he was where he was. Towards the end of the second half, there was a moment where we looked like we were in on goal. We ran it down the right, and it ended up with (Bruno?) running right along the by-line into the box, but when he pulled it back to the edge of the six yard box there was no-one there. Because Barnes has been subbed ten miutes before. It's EXACTLY where he would have been waiting - just as he was a dozen times last year.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's a place for post match discussion, analysis and reflection of Albion games, and respect for alterate views to the conclusions one may have reached, but that place isn't NSC.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It wasn't one of Ashley's best games, that's for sure. He had two chances. The header he should have buried. The other one just wouldn't sit down enough for him to get the shot away, before the two defenders muscled him out of it. (Mr Burn's claim that he 'missed a chance from outside the box' is pretty pathetic, and the kind of thing that undermines his valid points).

What I'll say for Barnes is that his movement in the box is better than anyone else at the club. Yes he missed the header, but there's a reason why he was where he was. Towards the end of the second half, there was a moment where we looked like we were in on goal. We ran it down the right, and it ended up with (Bruno?) running right along the by-line into the box, but when he pulled it back to the edge of the six yard box there was no-one there. Because Barnes has been subbed ten miutes before. It's EXACTLY where he would have been waiting - just as he was a dozen times last year.

Great post.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Well all I saw was Barnes f***ing up his chances because he's really lightweight, but then I told you all that 2 years ago. CMS once again failed to stick the ball into the net, therefore he had a bad game.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
If you know any ex-pros well enough, ask their honest opinion of Barnes. Not that you can name and post comments on here, but I'm sure you'll see a pattern.

I can name names - Gus Poyet. Ex-pro and a good football manager, he consistently puts him in the team. Which ex-pros do you know that are better qualified than Poyet?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Yup.

Someone mentioned a one on one opportunity. Can't for the life of me remember that. He didn't have his best game last night and I wasn't surprised he was subbed. But to pick him out and say he should never play again is quite frankly ludicrous.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I can name names - Gus Poyet. Ex-pro and a good football manager, he consistently puts him in the team. Which ex-pros do you know that are better qualified than Poyet?

Making it into a team containing such footballing geniuses as Ryan Harley and Gary Dicker doesn't prove a lot, are you seriously trying to argue Barnes isn't lightweight here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here