Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barn door Barnes

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are some people saying that the expectation of a player costing £2.5 million and on £12,000 a week should be identical to that of a player costing £60,000 and on £1,800 a week?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The information I asked for is completely relevant BTW, I'm asking about the experience you have in judging this player. Why not just say?

Because I want to discuss the players and not my match attendance record?

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I think the argument that he's lightweight is bullshit, I'd say he was one of our more physical players. His protection of the ball is often excellent.

Of course I don't think our players are perfect and I think criticism is fine, but most of the nonsense in this thread, and others on Barnes, is beyond valid criticism. I mean seriously, are we to really suggest the fact that he's out top goalscorer is irrelevent? Ludicrous.

The information I asked for is completely relevant BTW, I'm asking about the experience you have in judging this player. Why not just say?

Who on earth are you to just assume that you've seen a player more than anyone else! And even if you have, how does that in any way make your opinion more valid about the situation at hand? Get off your high horse.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I like how everyone, while talking up CMS' 7/10 performance last night, are conveniently ignoring the moment towards the end where he - under little pressure - just ran the ball straight off the pitch for a goal kick. I want CMS to succeed, I really do, but sometimes he does stuff that looks Blue Square Premier at best.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Don't think its unreasonable to have an opinion, Mr. Burns pays his money to go and watch the team, if he thinks a player is sub-standard then its his right as a fan to voice his opinion. Last night Barnes didn't play that well. Over hitting passes and crosses, missed a sitter with his head and scuffed a few shots.
CMS looked lively, beating players winning corners, clearing off the line.
IMO last night showed why CMS cost us more than Barnes and why he is paid more.
Just an opinion mind hope people don't call everyone a bellend who has a different opinion to their own opinion.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I like how everyone, while talking up CMS' 7/10 performance last night, are conveniently ignoring the moment towards the end where he - under little pressure - just ran the ball straight off the pitch for a goal kick. I want CMS to succeed, I really do, but sometimes he does stuff that looks Blue Square Premier at best.

Have you seen the blue square premiership? Bit harsh to judge CMS on a moment when he was playing in a position he is obviously uncomfortable with.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have you seen the blue square premiership? Bit harsh to judge CMS on a moment when he was playing in a position he is obviously uncomfortable with.

I'm talking about really, really basic ball control here. Nothing to do with what position he was in on the pitch.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I'm talking about really, really basic ball control here. Nothing to do with what position he was in on the pitch.

His "basic" ball control last night was on the whole very good last night, we looked far more of a threat when he was playing up front than when he switched to right wing for Vicente to play upfront.
I have seen Buckley who is probably our best winger over run the ball when trying to beat a full back. I have seen Gareth Bale over run the ball when trying to beat full backs.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You are focusing on one pass. Bridcutt passed the ball ten years to an opponent. KLL did the same. CMS missed controlled and ran the ball out. It happens. But if you want to focus on that, do you really want people to start picking out Barnes every misplaced pass, or mis control that sees the ball go into touch or dive looking for a free kick he doesn't get. Because if you want to start going over CMS and Barnes with a fine tooth comb, its not going to help your argument

Caveman2012

Jun 18, 2012
I have no idear why Gus plays Gary dicksh*t we've not won a competitive game since he's been back. Also MR Barnes is not up to the job. But what I will say is CMS makes an excellent defender.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
His "basic" ball control last night was on the whole very good last night, we looked far more of a threat when he was playing up front than when he switched to right wing for Vicente to play upfront.
And that has got to be one of Gus' most stupid substitutions, and it's got plenty of competition.

It's moves like this, that is starting to make me lose faith in the manager. He said afterwards he was 20%. Yet he places a player who could make something happen, up front on his own and we still hoof the ball up to him. I might begin to understand it if he put him up front with CMS, but in place off?!?!?!? Then put CMS out of position in a position where Vicente could have made something happen!!. I wonder sometimes if Poyet does these things, just because he can.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I have no idear why Gus plays Gary dicksh*t we're not won a competitive game since he's been back. Also MR Barnes is not up to the job. But what I will say is CMS makes an excellent defender.
CMS in fairness was excellent defending last night. Makes me think if we do sign a striker, CMS will drop into Barnes role and the new player will play up front.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Personally I think in stead of blaming Barnes or CMS or Dicker we should instead be thankful that Bellamy's legs don't last more than 50 Mins.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I too have been a Barnes critic in the past, but IMHO I think he has improved leaps and bounds and people are harsh to be so critical of him. Like CMS I think Barnes too would benefit from playing alongside a central target man. Last season both Ashley and CMS were a bit lightweight at this level of football, but I'm sure a big strong hold-up forward would assist them enormously. Barnes missed a great opportunity in the first half when put through by Greer. It was the best opportunity of the game and it was poor that he failed to get his shot away. Also his header from Noone's cross was poor for a centre forward and it is thee type of misses that brings him a bad press. The rest of his game was sound and his touch and vision has undoubtedly improved, but because he's Barnes the focus is always on his misses. But overall, I think he has improved and can make the grade at this level and I wish supporters would give him more encouragement than criticism. He's a young pro trying to make the best of playing in a somewhat unconventional line-up. Undoubtedly he would benefit from playing alongside a focal centre forward, but then so would CMS, but when or if we get one where will Buckley, Noone and Lua Lua fit in. I like our wide men, they all have the ability to beat opponents and get behind defences, but they are also let down by not having a big target man to meet their crosses.
The most pleasing thing from last night, was that we did get forward in numbers. It increased options and led to us having more attempts on goal than we saw last season. I thought it was a positive move and it led to an entertaining game which either team could have won. We missed our chances and they missed theirs. It could have easily ended up 3 v 3 or more, but I take positives from the number of chances we created and I'm sure its only a matter of time before we, Barnes and CMS find the back of the net

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
It's sad to think because you don't rate someone, that you have an agenda against them. I dont rate Dicker, but I don't have an agenda against him. As I've said time and time over the summer and last season, I'd love Barnes to prove me wrong and be our top scorer for the next ten years, and beat Peter Wards record every season. That's hardly having an agenda against the bloke. I just think he's shit, and given my reasons why I think that. Most on the opposite side of the fence, I think deep down know he is, but will defend him because he's a Brighton player, and thats fair play. But most of the other views are he's great because he's our top scorer, fine. If you want to rate a player because he's top scorer with 12 goals including a number of pens, then fine. I'll reserve my right to rate him based on a bit more than that.

Love it when someone says a player is shit, Just writing them off as "shit". I would love to be as shit at football as Barnes, getting paid decent wages for just being shit at football. Ashley was poor last night but he still gives the team the balance which Gus must like, Being able to change formation quickly with him in the team. Hes improved massively since he joined, and i for one can see why he getting in the team.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

how very dare you say that about St CMS
look lets all agree they are all shite and so is the manager and all his cronies

now takes tongue out of cheek
we got a point against a very good side
were we saying all this when we were fighting for the life of the Albion the passion from the Hereford game was immense and to be quite honest and may all those players forgive me,
then we were shite

lets all trust in Gus and Tony
and when things go a little wrong stop fecking moaning like a lot of little girls
when we are very nearly going out of the league then you have my permission to moan ........but thats the time I suspect you won't
though

I will just add this little gem for those who might not know the idea of a football game is to score more goals than the opposition

BARNES 20 GOALS ..TOP SCORER

and I don't care if he is fecking useless (he isn't ) he is doing the job he was put in there to do

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How long will you use our history as an excuse?

Today is 2012.

Today we have the 10th best season ticket sells in the entire league. Only nine clubs, all premiership have better. That is where we are today.

get over history. let it go. live in the now.

If you are going to argue about how good or bad a player is, please base it on more than his cost, and the fact we nearly folded 15 years ago.

Because that is your only argument. Barnes cost £65k so dont say anything against him

CMS cost £3m so any moaning should be aimed at him.

Surely you are on a wind up. No one can seriously base an argument on that!!! Can they?
How can you blame cms because his price tag was over inflated?
Our style of play only suits defensive players in this division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here