Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Right everyone chillout for a second...... not that anyones getting overly excited this time, which is good.

Right, lets pretend Barnes hasn't scored his pens, or the other two (and for Thunder bolt in the friendly either). So IF Barnes record was 0 goals in 4 this season..... just pretend, how WOULD you judge him

Then afterwards we can pretend he scored every shot, every chance to shoot, and set up everyone else's goals, and single handedly stopped our opponents scoring.

Or we can judge him on what his performances were instead of what they weren't.

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
All more than Barnes ever will including penalties to be fair.
Seriously though, you play your best team and I'm pretty sure that the philosophy Gus goes by, Our best team if we play two up top is CMS & Hoskins, I don't even think that's debatable. Barnes has come on leaps and bounds this summer I'm not denying that, all I'm saying Is if we play two up front our best two are CMS & Hoskins with Barnes as more than adequate back-up, now if people think we should play 3 up front and include Barnes that's there opinion.

Yeah, on paper Hoskins and CMS looks like a stronger strikeforce but still I think there are some harsh opinions on Barnes when all he seems to do is score goals.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So IF Hoskins had been 100% fit and played in all our games this season and had 0 goals in 5 games - how WOULD you judge him?
On his overall performace. CMS didn't score until Pomey in any game for us, but you could still see he was a class act even when he wasn't scoring

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Right everyone chillout for a second...... not that anyones getting overly excited this time, which is good.

Right, lets pretend Barnes hasn't scored his pens, or the other two (and for Thunder bolt in the friendly either). So IF Barnes record was 0 goals in 4 this season..... just pretend, how WOULD you judge him
Some nice build up play, but I'd be disappointed he hadn't scored and f***ed off that he'd missed two penalties. However, erm, he has actually scored 4 goals in 5 games. Also worth bearing in mind he should've won us another penalty against Blackpool which he would probably have tucked away if his previous penalty record is anything to go by - only an incompetent piece of refereeing prevented that. So that would've been 5 in 5.

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to ask the question on the Ipswich Town forum "If you ignore the twelve goals we shipped in the last two games, how WOULD you judge our defence?"

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
NO goals?
NSC would be in meltdown all claiming to have known all along he couldn't make the step up, There would be people calling for Bergkamp/ Toby to start or CMS up front alone. He would be "shit"
But he's got a few goals so he's now the next Wayne Rooney and guaranteed 20 goals this season. The wonderful world of NSC eh? :rolleyes:
And unfortauntely, I think you have just hit the nail firmly on the head there......

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Some nice build up play, but I'd be disappointed he hadn't scored and f***ed off that he'd missed two penalties. However, erm, he has actually scored 4 goals in 5 games. Also worth bearing in mind he should've won us another penalty against Blackpool which he would probably have tucked away if his previous penalty record is anything to go by - only an incompetent piece of refereeing prevented that. So that would've been 5 in 5.

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to ask the question on the Ipswich Town forum "If you ignore the twelve goals we shipped in the last two games, how WOULD you judge them?"
Simster, what I am saying is though, take away the pens. Poyet stated in the summer he needs to sign someone to take pens. I there doubt Ashley was number one in his mind then, and if CMS was at gillingham, who knows. Maybe Barnes would have not taken them, so up until Cardiff his record would have been 0 goals in 3 games. Maybe I should of used that as an example instead.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
On his overall performace. CMS didn't score until Pomey in any game for us, but you could still see he was a class act even when he wasn't scoring

Ok - so are you saying that goals aren't important then, its more about what his overall performance is? You don't think that 16 goals in his last 24 games have been instrumental to the team, and in fact to our league position this season and last?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
NO goals?
NSC would be in meltdown all claiming to have known all along he couldn't make the step up, There would be people calling for Bergkamp/ Toby to start or CMS up front alone. He would be "shit"
But he's got a few goals so he's now the next Wayne Rooney and guaranteed 20 goals this season. The wonderful world of NSC eh? :rolleyes:
1/10 fishing content

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to ask the question on the Ipswich Town forum "If you ignore the twelve goals we shipped in the last two games, how WOULD you judge our defence?"

Like it. Have some rep.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster, what I am saying is though, take away the pens. Poyet stated in the summer he needs to sign someone to take pens. I there doubt Ashley was number one in his mind then, and if CMS was at gillingham, who knows. Maybe Barnes would have not taken them, so up until Cardiff his record would have been 0 goals in 3 games. Maybe I should of used that as an example instead.
Well I'm quite happy with his performance so far. I think he makes good runs off the ball, he's linking up well with our midfield and seems comfortable playing just behind CMS. And of course he's weighed in with a few goals.

Now you're saying, "take away the goals". Clearly, I'm not going to be as happy with him, as that is a fundamental part of his game. But that's not a fair way to judge him. If you want to be fair, you could ask us to replace his goals with a scenario where he has created 4 or 5 additional chances, maybe 2 or 3, and made 2 or 3 goaline clearances or something. But taking away one of the main reasons he is there is ridiculous.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Is it better to have someone who has actually scored goals or someone with presence who looks threatening?? Where is the "looked threatening" column on the league tables?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Well I'm quite happy with his performance so far. I think he makes good runs off the ball, he's linking up well with our midfield and seems comfortable playing just behind CMS. And of course he's weighed in with a few goals.

Now you're saying, "take away the goals". Clearly, I'm not going to be as happy with him, as that is a fundamental part of his game. But that's not a fair way to judge him. If you want to be fair, you could ask us to replace his goals with a scenario where he has created 4 or 5 additional chances, maybe 2 or 3, and made 2 or 3 goaline clearances or something. But taking away one of the main reasons he is there is ridiculous.

This microscopic examination on a weekly basis of Barnes is great.

Gives the positive fans a chance to highlight Barnes - good goal record, young and learning, tenacious and brave against hard defenders, and brave enough to take & score the penalties.

For some reason, even last season, the negative fans speak more about him than Elphick, Sparrow & Brezovan.
They'll be long gone before Barnes.
I 100% trust Gus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Take away the pens, up until Cardiff; how much massaging of the facts do you want to do?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Principls are not the same for pro and sunday morning football. Most keepers at a piss poor level on Sunday can hardly dive, so outfoxing a sunday morning keeper is hardly rocket science.

More and more pro keepers go the right way these days, so either Barnes' penalties are a touch of genuis, or lucky. Time will tell. If he sends the next few keepers the wrong way, then he's a genuis, if the keepers stand big and dive late, then we will see what happens

Nonsense. the principles are EXACTLY the same, regardless of the fact that both the keeper and the penalty taker are plainly of a lower ability. If you send the keeper the wrong way, its irrelevant how athletic they are or how well they can dive.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Nonsense. the principles are EXACTLY the same, regardless of the fact that both the keeper and the penalty taker are plainly of a lower ability. If you send the keeper the wrong way, its irrelevant how athletic they are or how well they can dive.
Its completely different. But we'll have to just disagree on that one.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Take Away the penalties Mr Burns ??? Why don't we take away his legs as well. Now to end the argument you are right. Barnes can't run tackle shoot or jump, in fact he doesn't warrant a starting place. Happy now ?

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
NO goals?

Who said that?

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Barnes is here to score goals, he does that, anything else he can improve on is a bonus but for now he's doing his job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here