Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Take away the two pens he and he isn't really "scoring for fun"
Hoskins IS A better player, as much as most on here hate to admit, Barnes has got 2 in 5 (minus the pens) not bad, But has he really played THAT well? wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment, personally thought he was pretty poor against Donny & Pikeys, not bad this Saturday admittedly, But Hoskins provides more & IS a better player . FACT.

How can you make a judgement on a player who has played just 25 minutes for us? Dismiss the pens if you wish but I'll also include the goal against Premiership opposition (Spurs) so that is 3 in 6 which is a good ratio. You cannot deny he has made the step up to the Championship which quite a few said he couldn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, let's prove barnes is bad by actually discounting all his positive contributions. In a team failing from the penalty spot, he has shown he can do a job with them, so let's ignore the penalties.

Sure barcelona are a good team, but take away all those wins and trophies, they're no better than Swansea.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
How can you make a judgement on a player who has played just 25 minutes for us? Dismiss the pens if you wish but I'll also include the goal against Premiership opposition (Spurs) so that is 3 in 6 which is a good ratio. You cannot deny he has made the step up to the Championship which quite a few said he couldn't.
Including friendly games in the stats. Now who grasping straws..........:lol:

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Take away the two pens he and he isn't really "scoring for fun" Hoskins IS A better player, as much as most on here hate to admit, Barnes has got 2 in 5 (minus the pens) not bad, But has he really played THAT well? wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment, personally thought he was pretty poor against Donny & Pikeys, not bad this Saturday admittedly, But Hoskins provides more & IS a better player . FACT.

That's why I said IF

I've seen loads of people go 'oh but 2 were penaltys', Sorry but last season how easy was it for us to score from the spot? It wasn't at all. A goal is a goal, how many goals would Van Nistlerooy/Shearer/Larsson have scored in their career if it weren't for penaltys?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That's why I said IF

I've seen loads of people go 'oh but 2 were penaltys', Sorry but last season how easy was it for us to score from the spot? It wasn't at all. A goal is a goal, how many goals would Van Nistlerooy/Shearer/Larsson have scored in their career if it weren't for penaltys?

Quite a lot.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Indeed - 43 goals Bobby has scored in the last 10 years for Brighton

In fact the league table in that case is:

Murray 56
Forster 51
Zamora 43
Knight 36
Barnes 28

And of course slowly goals would need to be taken away from Bobby in the near future as they drift past the 10 yr bracket.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
:lol::lol: Fair play to BArnes, he scored some screamers last season, but really.... would you be happy with Casper if he let that one in from there. Would you? If we were voting for goal of the season, personally I thought Saturdays goal was better than that.

Thought the Cardiff goal was a great finish and the keeper would have done well to save it. He got lucky with his finish on Saturday, though. But I do wonder what Barnes has to do to impress some people. I reckon you'd still be finding faults with him he got 20 for us in the Prem and went on to play for England. I suppose every play has his faults - but Barnes clearly is 'nearly good enough for us'.

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Whenever I've seen Barnes play he's looked decent, his goal record is something that no one can argue with as well in fairness. So he's scored 2 penalties this season, scoring the penalties is something he should be given credit for if anything, surely? Shearer scored 206 goals for Newcastle and I have read in the past that nearly a quarter of them goals were penalties. It doesn't mean that he's any less clinical, any less of a good player or whatever.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
That's why I said IF

All more than Barnes ever will including penalties to be fair.
Seriously though, you play your best team and I'm pretty sure that the philosophy Gus goes by, Our best team if we play two up top is CMS & Hoskins, I don't even think that's debatable. Barnes has come on leaps and bounds this summer I'm not denying that, all I'm saying Is if we play two up front our best two are CMS & Hoskins with Barnes as more than adequate back-up, now if people think we should play 3 up front and include Barnes that's there opinion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All more than Barnes ever will including penalties to be fair.
Seriously though, you play your best team and I'm pretty sure that the philosophy Gus goes by, Our best team if we play two up top is CMS & Hoskins, I don't even think that's debatable. Barnes has come on leaps and bounds this summer I'm not denying that, all I'm saying Is if we play two up front our best two are CMS & Hoskins with Barnes as more than adequate back-up, now if people think we should play 3 up front and include Barnes that's there opinion.

It's not my opinion, it's what I have observed. How many times Poyet will play with 3 up front is debatable but he's done it once already this season.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Right everyone chillout for a second...... not that anyones getting overly excited this time, which is good.

Right, lets pretend Barnes hasn't scored his pens, or the other two (and for Thunder bolt in the friendly either). So IF Barnes record was 0 goals in 4 this season..... just pretend, how WOULD you judge him

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
give the guy a chance. 20 goals last season, already on the score sheet this season.

its just his nonchelant (sp) style aka Berbatov that i think people dont agree with.

Nonchalant, or confident. Barnes has been great for the Albion.

Funniest thing was someone on here discounted his 'tap-ins' and penalties as if they didn't count. The tally for plenty of proven strikers includes many of these ... part of the job description (Owen, Lineker, Fowler, Phillips).

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Right everyone chillout for a second...... not that anyones getting overly excited this time, which is good.

Right, lets pretend Barnes hasn't scored his pens, or the other two (and for Thunder bolt in the friendly either). So IF Barnes record was 0 goals in 4 this season..... just pretend, how WOULD you judge him

So IF Hoskins had been 100% fit and played in all our games this season and had 0 goals in 5 games - how WOULD you judge him?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley

NO goals?
NSC would be in meltdown all claiming to have known all along he couldn't make the step up, There would be people calling for Bergkamp/ Toby to start or CMS up front alone. He would be "shit"
But he's got a few goals so he's now the next Wayne Rooney and guaranteed 20 goals this season. The wonderful world of NSC eh? :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here