Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His 4 goals in 5 is an incrtedible return, but I bet most you have once again used his goals ratio haven't seen alll the games this season.

Less not kid ourselves though that Barnes would be in the team if it wasn't for Hoskins injury, and this new striker if he comes, is likely to be above Barnes in the pecking order, so if we end up with 4 fit strikers, I still see Barnes on the bench at best.

I haven't missed one game yet, including watching Barnes goal against Spurs. At Cardiff, Poyet did what he did quite frequently last season and played with 3 strikers, bringing Hoskins onto the pitch and leaving Barnes on.
So Hoskins getting back to full fitness does not necessarily mean that Barnes would be relegated to the bench. You are grasping straws again Mr Burns.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What a load of utter shit.

Taking a penalty is a duel between you and the keeper. Its not only about where you place it, or how hard you hit it (unless you favour the Julian Dicks 'style'). Its about using your eyes, and / or your body shape, to send the keeper the wrong way. If you can successfully do this, then you are better to keep the ball a yard inside the post, at a comfortable height, than to aim right for the corner and risk hitting the post.

I play at a piss poor Sunday League level - I'd never suggest anything different, but the principles are the same. I've scored 22 of 24 penalties I've taken, and the keeper goes the wrong way at LEAST 80% of the time. Its very little to do with luck.

You score, its a good penalty. FACT.
Principls are not the same for pro and sunday morning football. Most keepers at a piss poor level on Sunday can hardly dive, so outfoxing a sunday morning keeper is hardly rocket science.

More and more pro keepers go the right way these days, so either Barnes' penalties are a touch of genuis, or lucky. Time will tell. If he sends the next few keepers the wrong way, then he's a genuis, if the keepers stand big and dive late, then we will see what happens

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I haven't missed one game yet, including watching Barnes goal against Spurs. At Cardiff, Poyet did what he did quite frequently last season and played with 3 strikers, bringing Hoskins onto the pitch and leaving Barnes on.
So Hoskins getting back to full fitness does not necessarily mean that Barnes would be relegated to the bench. You are grasping straws again Mr Burns.
Cool. Time will tell. As I said, if we do sign this new striker, and when Hoskins is fit, I don't see Barnes playing. Not grasping at straws, just how I see it. TIme will tell.

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
His job is to score goals and that's what he's doing, yeah he misses a fair few chances but he soon makes up for it. Not long ago we were moaning about not having a 20 goal season striker, now we have 3 and he's one of them. He's only 21 aswell so he's gonna learn from his mistakes even though I don't really see him making to many as it is, he just has areas he needs to improve on and I think in time he will.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Because if Hoskins is fit, even with Barnes in form, Hoskins is still probably better.
My worry is if Gus goes with people on here and raves about his goals and goes by stats, then surely Barnes' 4in5 and Hoskins 1in15 minutes will start and CMS 2in4 will miss out. Hopefully Lord Poyet will see beyond the stats:D:D:lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think you've proved my point really. There are so many varibles, bluffs and double bluffs, is does all come down to chance. The penalty against Gillingham, was hit with so much power, I would be 99.9% certain Ashley's picked that spot very early on and went for it. I wouldn't have thought he could have changed his mind if the keeper went that way very very early. The one at Cardiff looked liked a skuff from where I was int he stand, and also looks that way on telly. As both were very saveable and closer to the center of the goal than the corners, I stick with what I said and say they were poor penalties, particaully the Cardiff one.

Then I couldn't have been very clear.

My point was that you can't determine whether a penalty is good or bad by where it is directed or how hard. Which from what I read is contradictory to your point.

My point was that taking a penalty can involve as other posters put more succinctly (and thus more cleary, I guess) sending the keeper the wrong way. The proviso "if the keeper goes the other way" therefore is a moot point.

Penalties are a battle of wits, and ashley has won 4.5 out of his last 6 (one of his "saveable if the keeper goes the right way" penalties was merely batted straight out to him to sweep in on the rebound).

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think people should remember that we signed Barnes we had just finished a less than amazing 13th in the third division, which means that you struggle to attract 'big' name players, or ones whose careers are on a steep upward curve.

Furthermore Tony Bloom had yet to release the purse strings in the way he has this summer.

IMO Digger has some big pluses (anyone who saw the difference he made at Exeter and Oldham will testify to that), but there are some areas of his game that could be improved. At 21, he has plenty of time to address those, and I hope he has a successful career at the Albion and keeps banging them in.

Only 3 players (Murray, Forster, Knight) have scored more goals than Barnes for the Albion in the last ten years, so he has made a major contribution to the Albion's success recently.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think people should remember that we signed Barnes we had just finished a less than amazing 13th in the third division, which means that you struggle to attract 'big' name players, or ones whose careers are on a steep upward curve.

Furthermore Tony Bloom had yet to release the purse strings in the way he has this summer.

IMO Digger has some big pluses (anyone who saw the difference he made at Exeter and Oldham will testify to that), but there are some areas of his game that could be improved. At 21, he has plenty of time to address those, and I hope he has a successful career at the Albion and keeps banging them in.

Only 3 players (Murray, Forster, Knight) have scored more goals than Barnes for the Albion in the last ten years, so he has made a major contribution to the Albion's success recently.

You're missing one very important name there.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
He did say 10 years - which then rules out the name I assume you are referring to...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So if Barnes is scoring for fun, but Hoskins is better ,then Poyet will just drop Barnes for Hoskins?
Along these lines I can see a sceniro coming up which is going to be very harsh on AShley.

If Lord Poyet of Brighton signs this new striker, and he turns out to be a top player who is expected to start, I can see Barnes playing with the axe hovering over him, and the first bad or indifferent game where he doesn't score, he'll be left out. Personally I would start Hoskins the first game he is fully fit, but I think it will be very unfair on Barnes if he's put in the position of playing and knowing one bad game to lose his place. I'd rather Poyet just swap it as soon as whoever, Hoskins/New Player is ready, rather than let Barnes play knowing he's not going to keep his place (which I think would do a lot more harm than good to him)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My opinion on what is or what is not a good penalty is purely subjective. The facts speak for themselves a good penalty results in a goal, regardless of the quality of either the penalty taker or the opposing goalkeeper.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
So if Barnes is scoring for fun, but Hoskins is better ,then Poyet will just drop Barnes for Hoskins?

Take away the two pens he and he isn't really "scoring for fun"
Hoskins IS A better player, as much as most on here hate to admit, Barnes has got 2 in 5 (minus the pens) not bad, But has he really played THAT well? wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment, personally thought he was pretty poor against Donny & Pikeys, not bad this Saturday admittedly, But Hoskins provides more & IS a better player . FACT.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes could score a belter from 30 yards and Mr Burnes would still claim there was something wrong with it .... oh.
:lol::lol: Fair play to BArnes, he scored some screamers last season, but really.... would you be happy with Casper if he let that one in from there. Would you? If we were voting for goal of the season, personally I thought Saturdays goal was better than that.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Take away the two pens he and he isn't really "scoring for fun"
Hoskins IS A better player, as much as most on here hate to admit, Barnes has got 2 in 5 (minus the pens) not bad, But has he really played THAT well? wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment, personally thought he was pretty poor against Donny & Pikeys, not bad this Saturday admittedly, But Hoskins provides more & IS a better player . FACT.
YAY. Someone else that can see beyond 4 in 5 goals!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here