Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley barnes - the best finisher at The Albion

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Did I say "abuse"? No, I didn't did I

No but it came across that you were defending people verbally abusing a young Brighton player who is playing pretty well, as it happens.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think that is probably the correct answer. I would like to say CMS - but we just have not seen it.

Yes. That chance last night in the first half, I'm sure the whole crowd thought he would score. Shows how shockingly out of touch he is at the moment. I feel sorry for him, don't like to see that in any player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ashley is going through a very good spell at the moment in the box.

A good spell that, judging by his stats, has lasted about a year and a half now!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a past critic of Barnes, have to say that when he's actually got a chance to shoot, he rarely misses. Fantastic accuracy from the lad. The enigma continues...

I have solved the puzzle; we need to play him up front where he can see the goal a lot more. Will Dan Brown now write a book about me?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No but it came across that you were defending people verbally abusing a young Brighton player who is playing pretty well, as it happens.

Mellotron you made that assumption incorrectly against me yesterday. I thought we had smoothed that over.

Please realise just because some people don't love him like you, doesn't make them party to or defending the stick he gets.

Peace brother.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron you made that assumption incorrectly against me yesterday. I thought we had smoothed that over.

Please realise just because some people don't love him like you, doesn't make them party to or defending the stick he gets.

Peace brother.

Nope. The subject was : People abusing Ashley Barnes at games. That guy said: People pay their money they can say what they want.

What's the logical conclusion to that?

For the last year and a half Barnes has had a very solid starts to goals ratio. He's a natural finisher. You clearly have missed that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I apologize to those around me but every time a moan about Barnes, he scores. Like the chap in front of me said last night keep moaning.

When Gus makes the sub changes he also changes Barnes' role and its only then he gets into the good positions. It would be nice to see him in that role from the beginning.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Nope. The subject was : People abusing Ashley Barnes at games. That guy said: People pay their money they can say what they want.

What's the logical conclusion to that?

For the last year and a half Barnes has had a very solid starts to goals ratio. He's a natural finisher. You clearly have missed that.

I seem to have completely underestimated the amount some people have got pissed off with the moaners and the Ashley Barnes critics.

For me, I've just ignored them most of the time knowing that you get them in every walk of life.

Obviously some have let it get to them so much that they are now abusing people regularly on the internet.

It's like the worms have turned and are building an army!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I seem to have completely underestimated the amount some people have got pissed off with the moaners and the Ashley Barnes critics.

For me, I've just ignored them most of the time knowing that you get them in every walk of life.

Obviously some have let it get to them so much that they are now abusing people regularly on the internet.

It's like the worms have turned and are building an army!

It's possibly the best time EVER to be an Albion supporter. Ever. It's a shame that some people seem determined not to see that/to ruin it.

I'm not referring to you, I'm referring to the people who turn up week in week out determined to have a miserable time and share their misery with everyone around them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So maybe other than his goals, please explain to the boys and girls exactly what Barnes does. Barnes: Don't just judge me on goals From The Argus)
Whether a player says 'don't judge me on goals' is irrelevant. Do you fools not realise how important goals are? Shall we judge Gary Lineker without his goals? He was great at every domestic club, great for England, and even great for Barcelona, but without his goals he was a bit shit to be honest.

Some players, like Barnes, offer a lot more than just goals, and that too should be taken into account. But you have to include the goals too, they are the most important thing in the game, and the hardest thing to get.
I like Ash, but if you were to compare the work rate of CMS v Barnes, CMS would win hands down, chasing every last ball as if his life depended on it.
:lolol: brilliant. If you compare the workrate of any player I have ever f***ing seen against CMS, they'd come second. What next - Barnes isn't as good in goal as Brezovan?
Which *block triggaaar?
C block, isle between seats 360/361, back rows.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriosuly judging by the crowds reaction to him, about 80% of people thinks not good enough, the other 20% would stick up for any player in stripes.
The number of complainers were few and gobby. More like 4% than 80.
and the reaction when CMS was taken off said it all.
Yes. 4% of our fans are clueless.
Still think Poyet plays him to prove a point.
:lolol: :rotlf: Do you even know what you're saying? So, Poyet wants to reach the top as a manager. He'd like to get Brighton promoted/show the chairman of top clubs how great he is. To do that he needs to have his team playing well and winning games. But you think he's going to jack it all in because he wants to prove a point about Barnes? Although it's obvious enough you're having a daft moment, as further evidence Poyet's been happy to drop several players he's brought in and paid good money for. If Barnes wasn't up to it, Poyet would let him go/loan him out/keep him as backup.

the_fishbro

Mar 7, 2012
I think we should moan about Barnes even more. the more criticism of him i see, the more he scores :D If we moan and complain more, he might just become the EPL's top scorer one day :)

All jokes aside, Barnes is OK but CMS is a much better footballer :)

And yes, hello all, I'm new heree :)

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Whether a player says 'don't judge me on goals' is irrelevant. Do you fools not realise how important goals are? Shall we judge Gary Lineker without his goals? He was great at every domestic club, great for England, and even great for Barcelona, but without his goals he was a bit shit to be honest.

Some players, like Barnes, offer a lot more than just goals, and that too should be taken into account. But you have to include the goals too, they are the most important thing in the game, and the hardest thing to get.
:lolol: brilliant. If you compare the workrate of any player I have ever f***ing seen against CMS, they'd come second. What next - Barnes isn't as good in goal as Brezovan?
C block, isle between seats 360/361, back rows.

Similar scenes near the back in B as well

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The number of complainers were few and gobby. More like 4% than 80.
Yes. 4% of our fans are clueless.
:lolol: :rotlf: Do you even know what you're saying? So, Poyet wants to reach the top as a manager. He'd like to get Brighton promoted/show the chairman of top clubs how great he is. To do that he needs to have his team playing well and winning games. But you think he's going to jack it all in because he wants to prove a point about Barnes? Although it's obvious enough you're having a daft moment, as further evidence Poyet's been happy to drop several players he's brought in and paid good money for. If Barnes wasn't up to it, Poyet would let him go/loan him out/keep him as backup.

Glad someone else noticed that - one of the most ridiculous comments ever on NSC. The idea that Poyet won't pick his best team because he wants to make a statement to a minority of supporters is so laughable that I wonder whether Mr Burns had been smoking something..

Still, it's not as ludicrous as the bloke on the Cardiff forum who describes Barnes' goal as a tap-in. That really was from someone who clearly had never played football in his life.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Very much THIS!

A player who is 22 and scored 30 odd goals in two seasons, who would want have one of those in their side?

Seriously anyone who slags him off needs to have a look at themselves.

On balance my favourite player at club, gives his all, scores goals and obviously loves playing for the albion.

Funny he isnt my favourite.
For me thats Bridcutt, hes classy and also prem bound. The worst this season is Flapper Ankeran. But its funny that those 2 generate fewer threads combined than Barnes, Buckley or CMS on their own. This reflects the striker obsession of all the f***ing 10 year olds posting on here. Obviously clueless twats who have never played the game.

Mr Burns is one of them.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Bit of wishful thinking there though mate.

If he's that good and just as good as out £3ish signing, why have the club allowed him be free to speak to another club for the past two months, and not signed him up on a long term deal? Very risky to let a player who could attract permiership teams contract run down isn't it?

You got a link to that wild claim? I seem to remember loads though Linekar was shit before he started banging them in in the World cup.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's amazing, the better we get, the more differing view's on player's people have. I have said all along that Navarro and Bridcutt in the same side does not work, as an attacking force. There is room for one and not the other, that one was always Bridcutt. But over the last month that mantel has now gone to Navarro, I thought he was awesome last night and my mom, although i'm not complaining that El Abd got the vote. As for Barnes, he certainly seems to improve when Cms goes off. Two against Ipswich, one and an assist last night. In both games when the board went up, I was as like 90% of the crowd in thinking(sorry hoping) it would be Barnes going off, as I really think Cms would be perfect working off Vokes. But in both games, Barnes has improved 50% after Cms has departed. Personally I love Cms, but to be fair he has had a very smooth ride of it, for a £3m+ striker who is simply not returning enough on the outlay paid. Maybe it is time to start with Vokes and Barnes up front together. I have always given Barnes plenty of stick on here and tbh I still cant see it. But credit where it's due, the lads clearly got something, it can't all be luck.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Personally I love Cms, but to be fair he has had a very smooth ride of it, for a £3m+ striker who is simply not returning enough on the outlay paid.

His smooth ride probably comes from the fact that he tries so hard. As Triggaaar said in his response to my earlier post, EVERYONE's workrate would be second to CMS'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here