Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley barnes - the best finisher at The Albion

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Like Gary Linekar. Hasn't got the pace but has a goal poachers instinct and can be clinical from ranges longer than the 6 yard box. Rated him better than Murrey last season and I think that has been shown to be true. He is at least as good as CMS and will be prem league one day.

People who rant at him or about him dont have a clue about the game. The strikers are getting better service now and are getting the goals. Would not suprise me to see Barnes become top scorer this season and attract prem league interest if we dont go up.

Very much THIS!

A player who is 22 and scored 30 odd goals in two seasons, who would want have one of those in their side?

Seriously anyone who slags him off needs to have a look at themselves.

On balance my favourite player at club, gives his all, scores goals and obviously loves playing for the albion.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yer, great he got an assist, but because of my views on Barnes last year, I do watch him very closely in most games, and tonight was just a run of the mill game for him, I dont see what he does defensively from open play. Watch him closely for the rest of the season. Apart from set pieces he does't really do much defensively. His goals come after subs are made usllay when winger come on and supply ammo. Don't forget before the goal, he went clean through and once again never got a shot away. Judge him without his goals mate, has he asks, and theres not a lot there.

I'll be honest with you I said cms should have stayed on and Barnes to come off, the point about when he went through on goal I was fairly certain cms would have been more infront of his marker due to having more pace. But Barnes' confidence in front of goal seems to be there at the moment and we need to make the most of it as much as possible

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Like Gary Linekar. Hasn't got the pace but has a goal poachers instinct and can be clinical from ranges longer than the 6 yard box. Rated him better than Murrey last season and I think that has been shown to be true. He is at least as good as CMS and will be prem league one day.

People who rant at him or about him dont have a clue about the game. The strikers are getting better service now and are getting the goals. Would not suprise me to see Barnes become top scorer this season and attract prem league interest if we dont go up.

Bit of wishful thinking there though mate.

If he's that good and just as good as out £3ish signing, why have the club allowed him be free to speak to another club for the past two months, and not signed him up on a long term deal? Very risky to let a player who could attract permiership teams contract run down isn't it?

Dec 29, 2011
Too be fair though Barnes was awful tonight, but very much like the previous match, he scored. Until then he done nothing.

The game passes him by, and only when Poyet deceided to bring on the wingers and supply the attackers, did anything happen. And all this about he adds a lot defensivly, he didn't supply a lot of cover tonight, although obviosuly he wasn't required to after the subs.

Ashley asked not to be judged just by his goals. But even his most opinionated supporters on here don't offer much argument other than his goals.

Seriosuly judging by the crowds reaction to him, about 80% of people thinks not good enough, the other 20% would stick up for any player in stripes. That said, and I'll say it again, IMO anyone who has a go at him at the game is a dick, but so many tonight were frustrated with him, and the reaction when CMS was taken off said it all.

Very much agree with this. Well said.
However your arguement about playing one striker over the other because one is £3million on 15k/week and one is out of contract in three months in pretty invalid. Let the better player start, yes?

Also anyone see when he was clean through on goal, almost 1 on 1 with a bit of hassle from the defender. Shanked the ball and it would have gone for a throw-in if the defender didn't get around to block it. lol.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is Barnes actually out of contract, or is that just pure rubbish, like every other thing Mr.Burns writes about Ashley Barnes?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Very much agree with this. Well said.
However your arguement about playing one striker over the other because one is £3million on 15k/week and one is out of contract in three months in pretty invalid. Let the better player start, yes?
The point of that though, is if Barnes is as great as people try and make he is, why has the club not signed him on a long term contract yet. If he was that good, he'd have been signed on a two or three deal a long long time ago, but he hasn't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ONLY opinion that matters is Gus'

The Uruguayan also hailed the performance of Barnes, who he believes has not been getting the credit he deserves.

"He scored one and set one up and that's Ash for you. He plays most of the time because he gives us something that the others don't and he got another goal for the team. A lot of people don't see the work that he does for the team but he is important.

"That is the reason why I normally keep him on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. He brings the ball down well, he has good movement and he is always testing the keeper which makes him a very dangerous player for us."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I love you too.

So maybe other than his goals, please explain to the boys and girls exactly what Barnes does. Barnes: Don't just judge me on goals From The Argus)

He scores goals
He makes goals
He defends set pieces
He offers cover to the left back
He follows team orders to the letter
He adds some much needed bite to our side
He's a reliable penalty taker
He's 22 years old and improving all the time.

Is that enough?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Lay off Barnsey...gets through a hell of a lot of work and he is our top scorer...(cup games included)...scores one and makes one...after seeing players who played for so called top teams and came to us on loan...Barndoor and MMJ Barnes is a great player.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I love you too.

So maybe other than his goals, please explain to the boys and girls exactly what Barnes does. Barnes: Don't just judge me on goals From The Argus)

Is positionaly good which gives us good shape and makes us difficult to break down. Is combatative, defends well in the box and makes good defensive clearences with his head from corners and set pieces and most importantly finds spaces in forward positions to create and score goals with a good finish. Also he keeps going for 90 minutes.

Or we could just take him out of the team with his goals and see what position we would be in.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
He scores goals - Mainly from the spot, or late on when the game opens up and the ammo is there
He makes goals - Yes he set one up tonight
He defends set pieces - So do nine other players in the side.
He offers cover to the left back - MMMmm Not convinced on this one. try watching him carefully. Certenly didn't tonight.
He follows team orders to the letter - Does he. Watch Poyet in the next game, and see how many times he gets frustrated with him. Seriosuly do it
He adds some much needed bite to our side - Now your taking the piss
He's a reliable penalty taker - Cannot ague with that statement whatsoever. I'll conced that one 100%

Is that enough?
Nearly. One other point you could clear up for me. If he's as good as you make out, why the hell haven't the club signed him on a long term contract months and months ago??? Why are we risking letting great young player walk away by letting his contract run down?I doubt his wages are that high, so any tribunal fee would be small. So why?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He scores goals - Mainly from the spot, or late on when the game opens up and the ammo is there
He offers cover to the left back - MMMmm Not convinced on this one. try watching him carefully. Certenly didn't tonight.
He follows team orders to the letter - Does he. Watch Poyet in the next game, and see how many times he gets frustrated with him. Seriosuly do it
He's a reliable penalty taker - Cannot ague with that statement whatsoever. I'll conced that one 100%

Is that enough?
Nearly. One other point you could clear up for me. If he's as good as you make out, why the hell haven't the club signed him on a long term contract months and months ago??? Why are we risking letting great young player walk away by letting his contract run down?I doubt his wages are that high, so any tribunal fee would be small. So why?

Be interesting to know your point to point analysis on our other players based on your total right off Ashley Barnes. I would be staggered if any of them meet your exacting standards.

Has the Barnes family wronged you in the past?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is that enough?

Gary Dicker and Liam Bridcutt were essential players last season for our Championship but weren't offered contracts until the end of the season when either of them could have walked away. Gus must be confident that Barnes wants to stay and play with us and will be content to sort out contracts at a later date. Noone has only extended his contract because of the intense interest in him in the January window. Gus has said before that he doesn't like sorting out contracts whilst he's concentrating on the season in hand.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Gary Dicker and Liam Bridcutt were essential players last season for our Championship but weren't offered contracts until the end of the season when either of them could have walked away. Gus must be confident that Barnes wants to stay and play with us and will be content to sort out contracts at a later date. Noone has only extended his contract because of the intense interest in him in the January window. Gus has said before that he doesn't like sorting out contracts whilst he's concentrating on the season in hand.
Really? You believe that with Noone? If thats the case with Noone why not wait until the end of the season. He's already under contract next season, so why the rush. gary Dicker was not going anywhere, and Liam Bridcutt only come to everyones attention during the season and no doubt Poyet wanted to see him complete a season, and I'll agree he left it late with Bridcutt, but he's long term now, and I very much doubt they'll leave it that late with him again. Ashleys been this great player for two seasons now, so hes well known now, yet he is free to speak to other clubs subject to tribunel now.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Be interesting to know your point to point analysis on our other players based on your total right off Ashley Barnes. I would be staggered if any of them meet your exacting standards.

Has the Barnes family wronged you in the past?
Nope. Just Barnes. Last player I thought was as overrated at this club as Barnes was Kuipers.

I cannot believe the some of the crap posted about Brezovan and Navarro, and lately CMS on here, but most meet my exacting standards as you put it thank you for asking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? You believe that with Noone? If thats the case with Noone why not wait until the end of the season. He's already under contract next season, so why the rush. gary Dicker was not going anywhere, and Liam Bridcutt only come to everyones attention during the season and no doubt Poyet wanted to see him complete a season, and I'll agree he left it late with Bridcutt, but he's long term now, and I very much doubt they'll leave it that late with him again. Ashleys been this great player for two seasons now, so hes well known now, yet he is free to speak to other clubs subject to tribunel now.

Why would you say Gary Dicker was not going anywhere and not apply that to Ashley Barnes? Barnes loves it here (although quite why when the fans are slagging him off most of the time)
You don't apply the same standard to other players that you do to Barnes because you are so biased.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
BLAH BLAH BLAH.Are you trying to say that just because Barnes scored a goal and got an assist, that everyone will love him? Obviously it's not enough to convince you so maybe there are others who are just as discerning and intelligent as you seem to think you are. Why not post a poll now and again next week just to see?
As you seem to be trying to drag this out over two threads, I'll reopeat another post here

Not just because tonight, but also because he scored two against Ipswich, and as a few others have pointed out he was poor against them until his goals. Because probably a lot of people on here didn't go to Doncaster and see the game pass him by there. So to knick someones else comment, as the NSC bandwagon goes, Ashleys stock is quite high on at the moment. Maybe if we could rewind month, a poll would probably see the majority slate him, so keep calling for a poll like a broken rercord is pointless.

Proof I'm in the majority, can't offer firm proof other than the reaction to CMS subbustution, or OTT comments aimed at Barnes at the game, and considering this argument has been ongoing for a year, judge his average ratings that people on here leave for him last season. Judge he comments left in the press on his ratings. Judge the fact there are probably more negative Barnes threads on here than other players put together. Plus why no one has offered an answer as to why if so great, he hasn't been offered a long term contract yet?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Why would you say Gary Dicker was not going anywhere and not apply that to Ashley Barnes? Barnes loves it here (although quite why when the fans are slagging him off most of the time)
You don't apply the same standard to other players that you do to Barnes because you are so biased.
Because there was no interest in Gary Dicker, and lets be honest he's hardly the type of player we need long term if we have premiership ambitions, and when fit will be just another one on the long list of central midfielders that cant get a game, along with Sparrow, Harley, JFC, Vicente, Vincelot. The way you talk about Barnes, he's sets up goals, scores loads, defends really well, starts and ends every game. In a top 7 championship side. Surely if he is that good he'd be already signed up long term months ago wouldn't he? Teams must be queing up for a defensive goalscoring linkup striker like Barnes... surely? But he is not. And they are not. Wonder why? Maybe he has smelly farts.

Off to bed now, but will definately be back for more tomorrow:bigwave:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here