Portslade
He scores goals
He makes goals
He defends set pieces
He offers cover to the left back
He follows team orders to the letter
He adds some much needed bite to our side
He's a reliable penalty taker
He's 22 years old and improving all the time.

Is that enough?

Yep, good enough for me! But he doesn't have a foreign surname or flair hair and he doesn't sing like Craig Noone so he can't win with some jcls.

Jul 20, 2003
Barnes starting W 14 D 11 L 6
without W 3 D 2 L 6

win % with = 45%, without 27%
loss % with = 19%, without 55%

points per game with = 1.71
points per game without = 1

and he was pretty f***ing good today

as it happens

Jul 20, 2003
He scores goals
He makes goals
He defends set pieces
He offers cover to the left back
He follows team orders to the letter
He adds some much needed bite to our side
He's a reliable penalty taker
He's 22 years old and improving all the time.

Is that enough?

Yeah, ........... enough for me

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's simple. The football illiterates who watch the game, but see nothing, don't rate Barnes. They even get frustrated when he scores, because they think that undermines their own stupidity.

The lad is a goalscoring, hardworking gem. Without him, we wouldn't have won the league last year and would be in mid table obscurity this year. It'not about opinions, it's fact!

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
Thank god Poyet knows...

The Uruguayan also hailed the performance of Barnes, who he believes has not been getting the credit he deserves.

"He scored one and set one up and that's Ash for you. He plays most of the time because he gives us something that the others don't and he got another goal for the team. A lot of people don't see the work that he does for the team but he is important.

"That is the reason why I normally keep him on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. He brings the ball down well, he has good movement and he is always testing the keeper which makes him a very dangerous player for us."

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Sorry but I hate this line of argument. "I pay my money so I can ABUSE whoever I want". What a fuckin disgraceful attitude to have.

Anyone who abuses a young Albion player trying their hardest (and he played very well again tonight) deserves challenging.

Did I say "abuse"? No, I didn't did I

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
It's simple. The football illiterates who watch the game, but see nothing, don't rate Barnes. They even get frustrated when he scores, because they think that undermines their own stupidity.

The lad is a goalscoring, hardworking gem. Without him, we wouldn't have won the league last year and would be in mid table obscurity this year. It'not about opinions, it's fact!

This. Been saying it since he joined us, he's a good young player. The people who knock him are quite simply not all that clued up on the game.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
To be honest his finishing is brilliant, but what I don't like about his play is how he manages to lose possession when in control of the ball. It's frustrating, but in the past week or so I have seen him as a different player.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Too be fair though Barnes was awful tonight, but very much like the previous match, he scored. Until then he done nothing.

The game passes him by, and only when Poyet deceided to bring on the wingers and supply the attackers, did anything happen. And all this about he adds a lot defensivly, he didn't supply a lot of cover tonight, although obviosuly he wasn't required to after the subs.

Ashley asked not to be judged just by his goals. But even his most opinionated supporters on here don't offer much argument other than his goals.

Seriosuly judging by the crowds reaction to him, about 80% of people thinks not good enough, the other 20% would stick up for any player in stripes. That said, and I'll say it again, IMO anyone who has a go at him at the game is a dick, but so many tonight were frustrated with him, and the reaction when CMS was taken off said it all.

Spot on.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As a past critic of Barnes, have to say that when he's actually got a chance to shoot, he rarely misses. Fantastic accuracy from the lad. The enigma continues...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I like Ash, but if you were to compare the work rate of CMS v Barnes, CMS would win hands down, chasing every last ball as if his life depended on it.

Against Donny on Saturday, there were times when Ash looked like he could only be half bothered, which disturbed me a bit.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not really mate.

Barnes: Don't just judge me on goals From The Argus)

Read it. Even Ashley doesn't want to be judged just by his goals. yet yours, and 99% of people who back him, offer no other argument other than his goal tally.
Give it up ffs. You're so blinkered about Barnes it's untrue. How can you not see the defensive cover he provides and energy through midfield. He can break up opposition play, provide goals, score goals.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
he may come across as being a bit of a wimp, but at present he is doing what we need him to do. Until times change and we get a far better option, let him get on with it in peace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here