Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley barnes - the best finisher at The Albion

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
He seems to work a lot better with Vokes than he does with CMS to me, and there have been times when he's looked vaguely uncomfortable with CMS. Not suggesting there's bad blood or anything of the sort, just that two don't quite seem to click and it may be knocking Barnes back a bit.

I think Buckley is probably our best finisher if you look in terms of quality of the goal, but has been lacking for a little bit now. Didn't rate him tonight, felt Noone was better (although his final ball still isn't amazing).

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
He's a right place, right time striker.. not technically gifted at all and lacks pace but you don't need that as much when you read the game well and are in the right areas..

its a shame he's been played out of position this year and hasn't had as many people on his wavelength as last season...but i think that gus has changed his position on purpose to make him work on his weaknesses.. we already all know how good he is as a fox in the box, i mean how many chances did he get last season.. may not have netted as many as he should but how many 21 year olds do you see with that sort of movement and knack for being in the right place.. if he masters the technical side of the game he could be a very good player one day in my opinion.

but he is no way the best finisher at the club... sadly that one goes to will hoskins in my opinion, much more clinical then CMS and barnes..

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Too be fair though Barnes was awful tonight, but very much like the previous match, he scored. Until then he done nothing.

The game passes him by, and only when Poyet deceided to bring on the wingers and supply the attackers, did anything happen. And all this about he adds a lot defensivly, he didn't supply a lot of cover tonight, although obviosuly he wasn't required to after the subs.

Ashley asked not to be judged just by his goals. But even his most opinionated supporters on here don't offer much argument other than his goals.

Seriosuly judging by the crowds reaction to him, about 80% of people thinks not good enough, the other 20% would stick up for any player in stripes. That said, and I'll say it again, IMO anyone who has a go at him at the game is a dick, but so many tonight were frustrated with him, and the reaction when CMS was taken off said it all.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I like him, always liked him, will forever like him.
I rate him, always rated him, will forever rate him as a player!

He shoots
He scores
He doesn't do well working On the wing but when he plays behind the striker he's brilliant and...SCORES GOALS.

Most underrated player in the history of the club

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
but he is no way the best finisher at the club... sadly that one goes to will hoskins in my opinion, much more clinical then CMS and barnes..

Do you mean Will "one goal" Hoskins? The reserve at League One Sheffield United? A better finisher than 12 goal Championship striker Ashley Barnes? Really?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
He's a right place, right time striker....

Like Gary Linekar. Hasn't got the pace but has a goal poachers instinct and can be clinical from ranges longer than the 6 yard box. Rated him better than Murrey last season and I think that has been shown to be true. He is at least as good as CMS and will be prem league one day.

People who rant at him or about him dont have a clue about the game. The strikers are getting better service now and are getting the goals. Would not suprise me to see Barnes become top scorer this season and attract prem league interest if we dont go up.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
We should drop CMS put Barnes up top in his position to allow two wingers to play. Now that would be interesting to see what would happen
It would be interesting to see what happens if Poyet left CMS on when bringing on wingers late on.

it would be even more interesting to see what would happen if Poyet played with two wingers and two strikers from the start, but I fear it will never happen

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
With such a full and rich squad, I wonder why Gus consistently plays Barnes? Could it be that he is actually integral to our excellent run of form in 2012?

No, of course not.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It would be interesting to see what happens if Poyet left CMS on when bringing on wingers late on.

it would be even more interesting to see what would happen if Poyet played with two wingers and two strikers from the start, but I fear it will never happen

I've said it too many times before. We would destroy teams with two wingers and two strikers, but Poyet is all about stability in his line ups even against the weaker sides such as Milwall.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not really mate.

Barnes: Don't just judge me on goals From The Argus)

Read it. Even Ashley doesn't want to be judged just by his goals. yet yours, and 99% of people who back him, offer no other argument other than his goal tally.

But Poyet and I think probably about 50% of others also add his defensive ability as well (that wasn't really shown today more to do with the match). Should also add that you seemed to miss out my point about the assist, which isn't a goal.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
I think barnes is brilliant just sometime wish gus would play 4-4-2 because that is when we get the best of him and goals

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
There was nearly a fight at the back of the north stand between two who didn't see eye to eye. When the subs were made loads of people in the north stand complained, because they know so much more about football than Gus. F'idiots.

Yea, most people around me were having a moan about it.. Had to try keep my mouth shut.

Couldn't help but turn around and say something after Barnes scored though...

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Do you mean Will "one goal" Hoskins? The reserve at League One Sheffield United? A better finisher than 12 goal Championship striker Ashley Barnes? Really?

he's far from our best striker i know.. but i really do think he is the most clinical... if he gets fit and shows a bit of passion and desire in his football he could be just as good if not better then barnes... hes definitely better with the ball at his feet in my opinion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Couldn't help but turn around and say something after Barnes scored though...
I did exactly the same thing, then felt bad as it was only a youngish chap.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That goal tonight was like one of those sublime flicks that used to be brilliant in the school playground when they came off. Yee-haw! :lol:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But Poyet and I think probably about 50% of others also add his defensive ability as well (that wasn't really shown today more to do with the match). Should also add that you seemed to miss out my point about the assist, which isn't a goal.
Yer, great he got an assist, but because of my views on Barnes last year, I do watch him very closely in most games, and tonight was just a run of the mill game for him, I dont see what he does defensively from open play. Watch him closely for the rest of the season. Apart from set pieces he does't really do much defensively. His goals come after subs are made usllay when winger come on and supply ammo. Don't forget before the goal, he went clean through and once again never got a shot away. Judge him without his goals mate, has he asks, and theres not a lot there.

Still think Poyet plays him to prove a point.

Makes you wonder how a player out of contract in 3 months seems to get the nod late on over a player we paid £3million for and pay 15 grand a week to. Might understand it more if Poyet beleaved in him enough to offer him a new contract (but I forgot, we dont do new contract mid season do we) but all I can come up with is Poyet is trying to make a point to those that question him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here