Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - I should never have doubted him

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Care to comment [MENTION=12756]R. Slicker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION]?
Yer, I'll comment. As I said more than a few times next season, I really hope Ashley Barnes comes good, and like Slicker who you also mention, not once did I ever boo shout abuse or throw anything negative at him at a game last year, and get seriously pissed off at the twats booing him last year.

But f***ing hell people, whilst he had a blinder yesterday, its one game. He had some great games last season, but he also had a lot of shockers. I'll eat humble pie if he comes good, but FFS lets not have a new thread either praising him or slatting him after every single game. Give it until Christmas and see how he's doing.

All this stuff about him and Vicente linking up, its ONE GAME. One win in ten at the end of last season suggests otherwise.

As for yesterday, quaility run to set up the first, and great finish for the second. But its one game people.

If he has a shocker at Swindon everyone will be calling him a **** again, then has a great game against Hull, he'll be a legend!!!

I know I'm seen on here as Barnes biggest "hater", and for the millionth time, I don't hate the bloke, get over it.

For those who says he's not a striker, I'll be interest to know how many of his goals come from playing up front, as opposed to the role Gus has him play

For those who thinks yesterdays game is a reflection on how the season will go, get real!!! If Gus plays Barnes in the lop sided formation in the league, we'll struggle as we did last season for long spells. Teams in the Championship know it, and can play against it, as one win in ten at the end confirms. If he plays Barnes up front, who knows. But given the choice of him or CMS up front, I wouldn't even need to think about it at the moment. CMS all day long

But then I would set the team up to play to my main strikers strengths, and Poyet seems unwilling to do that, which makes you wonder why the f*** he brought CMS in the first place. But setting the team up to play Barnes, doesn't work either, and that's no fault of Barnes, he plays it well, but most sides have it sussed out and it no longer wins us league games, and I don't think it will us much this year if Poyet plays it.

I think the OP sums up a lot of people on here. He's basically saying based on last season he didn't rate Barnes and doubted he should start. ONE WHOLE FRIENDLY LATER, he's the best thing in stripes.

I hope he beats Peter Wards scoring record this season and fires us up to the premiership

But bottom line, stop the over the top praising or slatting Barnes after every game. Give him a few months and then pass judgement. Because any decent time peroid last season, I stand by what I've always said. Given a time peroid of yesterdays games, he's one of the best players at the club.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I disagree. They have had a lot of unfair criticism, but not "far more". I'm not even sure they've had "more". Not on here, and not with the people around me at the amex. At most I would put it on a par with Barnes.

Though I do agree there is something off about all the people who apparently hated him only needing this one performance to change their minds. While I disagree with Mr Burns' appraisal of Barnes, he always stressed it was judged over the course of lots of matches and every time Barnes put in a good to great performance people would bump his thread Mr B would reiterate he isn't judging on one performance.
I agree with you that Barnes gets more stick then any on here.

And by your comments, you think its right to judge on one performance? Off course idiots will bounce these threads whenever he scores, but then if I wanted to play silly games, I would have been bouncing my original thread a lot more over the past couple of years when he's had a shocker.

Why do you feel the need to judge him on one game. Give it a few months and then come back and have a say.

He's in the last year of his contract. I think this is his make or break season, and lets hope he makes it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yer, I'll comment. As I said more than a few times next season, I really hope Ashley Barnes comes good, and like Slicker who you also mention, not once did I ever boo shout abuse or throw anything negative at him at a game last year, and get seriously pissed off at the twats booing him last year.

But f***ing hell people, whilst he had a blinder yesterday, its one game. He had some great games last season, but he also had a lot of shockers. I'll eat humble pie if he comes good, but FFS lets not have a new thread either praising him or slatting him after every single game. Give it until Christmas and see how he's doing.

All this stuff about him and Vicente linking up, its ONE GAME. One win in ten at the end of last season suggests otherwise.

As for yesterday, quaility run to set up the first, and great finish for the second. But its one game people.

If he has a shocker at Swindon everyone will be calling him a **** again, then has a great game against Hull, he'll be a legend!!!

I know I'm seen on here as Barnes biggest "hater", and for the millionth time, I don't hate the bloke, get over it.

For those who says he's not a striker, I'll be interest to know how many of his goals come from playing up front, as opposed to the role Gus has him play

For those who thinks yesterdays game is a reflection on how the season will go, get real!!! If Gus plays Barnes in the lop sided formation in the league, we'll struggle as we did last season for long spells. Teams in the Championship know it, and can play against it, as one win in ten at the end confirms. If he plays Barnes up front, who knows. But given the choice of him or CMS up front, I wouldn't even need to think about it at the moment. CMS all day long

But then I would set the team up to play to my main strikers strengths, and Poyet seems unwilling to do that, which makes you wonder why the f*** he brought CMS in the first place. But setting the team up to play Barnes, doesn't work either, and that's no fault of Barnes, he plays it well, but most sides have it sussed out and it no longer wins us league games, and I don't think it will us much this year if Poyet plays it.

I think the OP sums up a lot of people on here. He's basically saying based on last season he didn't rate Barnes and doubted he should start. ONE WHOLE FRIENDLY LATER, he's the best thing in stripes.

I hope he beats Peter Wards scoring record this season and fires us up to the premiership

But bottom line, stop the over the top praising or slatting Barnes after every game. Give him a few months and then pass judgement. Because any decent time peroid last season, I stand by what I've always said. Given a time peroid of yesterdays games, he's one of the best players at the club.

Well said Monty, agree 100%.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And by your comments, you think its right to judge on one performance?

Was it when I said "Though I do agree there is something off about all the people who apparently hated him only needing this one performance to change their minds." that makes you think I think it's ok to judge on one performance?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But he had ALL of last season and was outstanding! So why do we need to give him more time to decide if he is good or not? Or are you waiting for him to fail and all the time he is playing well (since he arrived) you will say "give him more time and then judge him"? That is ridiculous.
In your view he may have been outstanding all last season, but not in most peoples, and certainly not in mine. He had flashes, I'll grant you that, but to say he was outstanding throughtout last season, it completely wrong IMO.

So thats why I say I'll judge him in a few months, and judging that he wasn't judged to be one of the special ones to get a new long term contract, I think your view that was was outstanding all last season, wasn't totally shared by the clubs management either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Gus originally intended to get another striker to play alongside CMS last season, who would have played the Glenn Murray role. For whatever reason that didn't come off, and we ended up with Barndoor Billy (disaster) and Vokes (at best ok). This meant that CMS had relatively little to feed from, especially as despite having Noone/KLL/Buckley and Barnes as the nominal wide players, we didn't tend to get wide very often.

I thought Barnes did a reasonable job at times, and was anonymous in some matches (but certainly not the only one, CMS had shockers too).

Having said that, if Barnes never plays for the club again, his goal against Wrexham that earned us a £500k windfall against Newcastle in the FA Cup, equaliser against Palace that prevented them doing the double over us for the first time since the 1930's, and goal that won us promotion in 2010/11 means I will always have fond memories of him.

He does seem a bit of a mardarse on the pitch, but anyone who has ever played any sport will testify, (and also from experiences on NSC), that people are often completely different when they are in the flesh from their persona during the 90 minutes.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Always liked Barnes, thought he played a blinder yesterday. He and the team held themselves really well against a world class opposition.

Jul 13, 2012
If Barnes is so great then why hasn't poyet offered him a new contract as he's in his last year? I think if poyet gets his Cf then Barnes is a bench warmer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Barnes is so great then why hasn't poyet offered him a new contract as he's in his last year? I think if poyet gets his Cf then Barnes is a bench warmer.

How do you know a contract has not been offered?

Perhaps it has, and AB has rejected the terms?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Well you did bloody doubt him didn`t you, DIDN`T YOU! We tried to tell you, but would you listen? NO!! So don`t come on here with your tail between your legs looking for forgiveness. That poor boy played his heart out for this football club, ran himself into the ground, whilst you sat there on your grubby, tea-stained laptop, munching on your cream bloody custards tearing him apart with your nasty, evil rantings. Shame on you I say, SHAME!!!

Oops, was it something I said?

:ohmy::smile:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How do you know a contract has not been offered?

Perhaps it has, and AB has rejected the terms?

Perhaps it has been offered and signed? There were a whole bunch of contract extensions signed and not announced last summer, apparently. Do we know for sure he hasn't signed a new deal?

Jul 13, 2012
Perhaps it has been offered and signed? There were a whole bunch of contract extensions signed and not announced last summer, apparently. Do we know for sure he hasn't signed a new deal?

Funny how when others have been offered and signed its been announced like Nooney.

Jul 13, 2012
Maybe Barnes is fed up with playing well and being shouted at by ignorant fans that he is shit and a waste of space etc every game?

I suggest he retires then as all clubs and jobs are the same. If he can't handle criticism then football isn't for him.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
In your view he may have been outstanding all last season, but not in most peoples, and certainly not in mine. He had flashes, I'll grant you that, but to say he was outstanding throughtout last season, it completely wrong IMO.

So thats why I say I'll judge him in a few months, and judging that he wasn't judged to be one of the special ones to get a new long term contract, I think your view that was was outstanding all last season, wasn't totally shared by the clubs management either.

Yeah and the Olympics is SHIT and that Mo Farah OVERRATED....

You talk a lot of shit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah and the Olympics is SHIT and that Mo Farah OVERRATED....

You talk a lot of shit.

To be fair to Mr B, Barnes was not outstanding ALL of last season, I can't think of any player to whom that applied TBH.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Nah, overly long post full of obsessive ramblings.

Where's Mr Bums?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here