Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - I should never have doubted him

Mr Bums

Jan 31, 2012
Get over yourselves. Just because he has scored against Liverpool (PENALTY!) and Chelsea, was leading scorer last year and managed 20 in his first full season some of you still don't realise he is the biggest waste of £60,000 in the club's history.

One day you will eat your words and then you can kiss my arse, I'm right, and deep down you know it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get over yourselves. Just because he has scored against Liverpool (PENALTY!) and Chelsea, was leading scorer last year and managed 20 in his first full season some of you still don't realise he is the biggest waste of £60,000 in the club's history.

One day you will eat your words and then you can kiss my arse, I'm right, and deep down you know it.

Admit it you are a little embarrassed this morning :lolol:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm so chuffed that he performed like that yesterday, I spent the majority of last year defending him to the miserable old sod that sits next to me (seriously, it's a disturbing amount of hatred he has, far beyond reasonable) and now, hopefully, those that doubted him (don't know why) will start to see what a lot of others noticed last year.

Alternatively; I'll have to endure another season of hearing how everything is his fault and he's only a highly paid penalty taker... *sigh*

All I need now is for Harley to show he was worth the money and I can sit back and look smug (He'll be good, you just watch!).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Glad to see Barnes getting some credit at last. Always a tremendous worker for the team and an excellent finisher. I cannot understand the vitriol that goes his way on here. Still I'm sure once the first chance goes begging the haters will be back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Great fishing MR BUMS (in words of one syllable for those who didn't spot the spoof account):fishing:
:smile:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It was a great performance in a friendly, let's get some perspective here. Pre season is pre season, I'm the first to admit I have never been a big Barnes fan but I must admit I am warming to the lad. Let's wait and see what he does against Cardiff and the other 22 sides in our league, before we start a campaign for player of the season already.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. Let's wait and see what he does against Cardiff and the other 22 sides in our league, before we start a campaign for player of the season already.

Or how about people hold off for at least 10 games before boring us with Barnes you're shit shouts every time he makes an error??

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Or how about people hold off for at least 10 games before boring us with Barnes you're shit shouts every time he makes an error??

Personally, I'm very much in the camp of new season, new start. I thought Poyet made many mistakes last season, but I hope he has learnt from them and I am 100% behind him. I was starting to warm to Barnes towards the end of the season anyway and if this sort of form continues I will be chanting his name. You pays, your money you takes you choice, one mans pleasure is another mans poison. Every team in the land has a whipping boy, its just the nature of the best, if it isn't Barnes this season you can bet your bollocks it will be someone else.

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
I have had my doubts about whether or not Barnes based should start for us based on his performances last season, or even whether he deserved a place on the bench. For me, although he scored goals, he lacked the pace, vision, mobility and speed of thought to really cut it in the Championship. Based on today's performance, albeit only a friendly, I've now radically altered my view of him. Barnes was, I thought, superb today; and to me he looked much more of an all round player than last year. What particularly impressed me was the speed with which he passed the ball when he received it and his ability to pick out a team mate with a pin point pass. I don't recall such speed of thought and vision last season. And the way he took his goal was terrific. So a big, big well done to Ashley Barnes on a fine performance and here's to many more this season.

One chastened (and embarrassed) long term supporter.
This. Ashley had a cracker today and I could understand Gus' after-match comments. Last season, although playing out of position for a striker, he had bad touch, rarely won a header in midfield and his passing was average at best. He was a different player against Chelsea. Link up play with Vicente was really good. A big pat on the back to him!

Oh, and he let Ivanovic know he was there too; quite a few tangles and Ivanovic was starting to loose his cool!

Lets hope he keeps the momentum going and we all encourage him throughout the season.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion fans have always had a player who got disproportionate abuse in relation to his (perceived lack of) ability. Whether is was Teddy Maybank, Malcolm Poskett, Neil McNab, Robert Codner, Johnny Crumplin (until 'that' match) or silky Dave Cameron.

If Barnes goes, then more attention will be given to Dicker, Harley etc.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Albion fans have always had a player who got disproportionate abuse in relation to his (perceived lack of) ability. Whether is was Teddy Maybank, Malcolm Poskett, Neil McNab, Robert Codner, Johnny Crumplin (until 'that' match) or silky Dave Cameron.

If Barnes goes, then more attention will be given to Dicker, Harley etc.

Agree but not the crumplin bit . He was shit house for ages and that's how the football genius / hero worship started . Not sure if he really became good or he started to look ok as we headed down wards .

Class v j.Barnes though.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Fools, lucky pass with outside of right foot for first assist, lucky follow up and rifle into far corner for second goal, and lucky headbutt into Sideshow Bob for the third. Luck runs out, and I guarantee he won't even win a corner, let alone score a goal, for the rest of the season.

New poster,Palace I think.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree but not the crumplin bit . He was shit house for ages and that's how the football genius / hero worship started . Not sure if he really became good or he started to look ok as we headed down wards .

Class v j.Barnes though.

He turned into a decent right back, was never convinced about him as a winger, apart from the goal he scored against Blackpool from 30 yards in 1987/8 in the last minute. Exocet like finishing!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He turned into a decent right back, was never convinced about him as a winger, apart from the goal he scored against Blackpool from 30 yards in 1987/8 in the last minute. Exocet like finishing!

I always thought he was crap. He did have a couple of good games and if I remember rightly rose like a salmon one day at the Goldstone to head a winner/equaliser against Leeds. He was basically one of many non league players who never really convinced when Lloyd was in charge...imo

Not sure that any comparison with Barnes other than the hate figure could be taken seriously though,

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The lesson here is not that many supporters were wrong about Ashley, but that they assume they know more about football and our team than Gus. I'm not suggesting Gus is the messiah, but you'd have to be a really shit manager to now know more about the players you train that the fans.

So if you're going to learn, don't learn about Barnes, learn that Gus knows more about football, our players, and what's right for our team than you do (that's not aimed specifically at the OP). Support the team and STFU.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fools, lucky pass with outside of right foot for first assist, lucky follow up and rifle into far corner for second goal, and lucky headbutt into Sideshow Bob for the third. Luck runs out, and I guarantee he won't even win a corner, let alone score a goal, for the rest of the season.

hmmm

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I want to go for a romantic plate of spaghetti & meatballs (Lady and the Tramp style) with Ashley Barnes. That's all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here