Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - I should never have doubted him

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I always thought he was crap. He did have a couple of good games and if I remember rightly rose like a salmon one day at the Goldstone to head a winner/equaliser against Leeds. He was basically one of many non league players who never really convinced when Lloyd was in charge...imo

Not sure that any comparison with Barnes other than the hate figure could be taken seriously though,

I saw him make his debut in 1986/7 away to Stoke, in an excrutiating 0-0, and thought he would never play again he was so bad.

He ultimately deserved his place in the team, and at least one of his goals helped generate the cash we needed during the dark times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football--fa-cup-crumplin-cheers-brighton-1564121.html

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This. Ashley had a cracker today and I could understand Gus' after-match comments. Last season, although playing out of position for a striker, he had bad touch, rarely won a header in midfield and his passing was average at best. He was a different player against Chelsea. Link up play with Vicente was really good. A big pat on the back to him!

Oh, and he let Ivanovic know he was there too; quite a few tangles and Ivanovic was starting to loose his cool!

Lets hope he keeps the momentum going and we all encourage him throughout the season.
Or perhaps people are just starting to open their eyes, and watch without prejudice.
Those of us who defended Barnes did so because his link up play has been consistently good since he joined us. He sees passes that others don't, and his speed of thought is fantastic.
Vicente clearly loves playing with him, and that has been the case since he started playing for us.
His finishing is clinical, and his first touch is generally very good.
Any mistake he made last season, and like all our players, he made some, was leapt upon by the lynch mob - whereas errors by Bridcutt, Greer, CMS et al were instantly forgiven.
It's great to see a thread in which Barnes' doubters state that he's winning them round, but I find it a little annoying that many seem to still believe that they were right, that he was shit, and that he's somehow transformed himself over the summer.
Barnes has never deserved the vitriol. Perhaps people will just get behind him this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw him make his debut in 1986/7 away to Stoke, in an excrutiating 0-0, and thought he would never play again he was so bad.

He ultimately deserved his place in the team, and at least one of his goals helped generate the cash we needed during the dark times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football--fa-cup-crumplin-cheers-brighton-1564121.html

We were in the equivalent division then I think?

Shows how much the quality has risen in this division with all the foreigners coming into our game. How would this team have fared today? Down by January I reckon.

Brighton and Hove Albion: Beeney; Chivers, Chapman, Wilkins, McCarthy, Bissett, Wilkinson (Crumplin, 66), Kennedy, Nogan, Codner, Walker. Substitute not used: Edwards.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Used to think he was largely useless. Now I think he is pivotal to our success and was the outstanding player yesterday.

I am very, very gladly eating humble pie.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Fools, lucky pass with outside of right foot for first assist, lucky follow up and rifle into far corner for second goal, and lucky headbutt into Sideshow Bob for the third. Luck runs out, and I guarantee he won't even win a corner, let alone score a goal, for the rest of the season.

Brilliant spoof Mr Bums, you've totally usurped Mr Burns! :thumbsup:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am a big fan of Ashley, and he is getting better all the time. Would have him over CMS any day of the week.

What I was disgusted at, was the on Chelsea TV they knew he was not a fan's favourite! He bloody well should be!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Or perhaps people are just starting to open their eyes, and watch without prejudice.
Those of us who defended Barnes did so because his link up play has been consistently good since he joined us. He sees passes that others don't, and his speed of thought is fantastic.
Vicente clearly loves playing with him, and that has been the case since he started playing for us.
Any mistake he made last season, and like all our players, he made some, was leapt upon by the lynch mob - whereas errors by Bridcutt, Greer, CMS et al were instantly forgiven.
It's great to see a thread in which Barnes' doubters state that he's winning them round, but I find it a little annoying that many seem to still believe that they were right, that he was shit, and that he's somehow transformed himself over the summer.
Barnes has never deserved the vitriol. Perhaps people will just get behind him this season.

100% this

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I am a big fan of Ashley, and he is getting better all the time. Would have him over CMS any day of the week.

What I was disgusted at, was the on Chelsea TV they knew he was not a fan's favourite! He bloody well should be!

I don't always agree with your comments Mr Pie but this is spot on.

The boo boys on NSC and at the Amex who continually knock Barnes have a far bigger impact than they realise, possibly on the player himself, certainly on the wider media in general.

I hope the fact that these "supporters" are obviously struggling with their own personal inadequacies is some small compensation to Ashley.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps the same will happen to Harley,people need to get behind him too and a few will be surprised.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Care to comment [MENTION=12756]R. Slicker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION]?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

:thumbsup: could not put it better - he has not "dramatically" improved - he was always very useful. Is he a striker? Is he a midfielder? Maybe a deep lying striker? One of the problems people have with Ashley is not understanding his role in the team :albion:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thankfully I've never criticised his general play, ability and contribution. I just wish he would be less petulant and hoping he grows out of that.

First class player and can see him having a brilliant season and his value rocketing

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
:thumbsup: could not put it better - he has not "dramatically" improved - he was always very useful. Is he a striker? Is he a midfielder? Maybe a deep lying striker? One of the problems people have with Ashley is not understanding his role in the team :albion:

Hopefully that will become clearer this season :albion2:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Care to comment [MENTION=12756]R. Slicker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION]?

Oooh, a mention, how exciting.
Yes, he was excellent yesterday, as I said elsewhere, long may it continue. I don't think that this now makes him a world beater and I think there is some serious sanctimonious crap posted on this thread. I mean, everybody who is lauding Ash as the new messiah, what are your feelings on Gary Dicker, Ryan Harley and Marcos Paynter? Players who have had far more unfair criticism than mr. Barnes.

Can I also point out that I have never abused Barnes at a match, in fact, some of our group last season, would loudly praise him to annoy the moaners nearby, unfortunately, I.M.O. It became more and more difficult to justify as the season wore on.
My opinion was that he wasn't quite up to it last season, that doesn't mean I will not be delighted if he comes good this season.

Ok?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes, he was excellent yesterday, as I said elsewhere, long may it continue. I don't think that this now makes him a world beater and I think there is some serious sanctimonious crap posted on this thread. I mean, everybody who is lauding Ash as the new messiah, what are your feelings on Gary Dicker, Ryan Harley and Marcos Paynter? Players who have had far more unfair criticism than mr. Barnes.

Can I also point out that I have never abused Barnes at a match, in fact, some of our group last season, would loudly praise him to annoy the moaners nearby, unfortunately, I.M.O. It became more and more difficult to justify as the season wore on.
My opinion was that he wasn't quite up to it last season, that doesn't mean I will not be delighted if he comes good this season.

Ok?
Thank you.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
what are your feelings on Gary Dicker, Ryan Harley and Marcos Paynter? Players who have had far more unfair criticism than mr. Barnes.

I disagree. They have had a lot of unfair criticism, but not "far more". I'm not even sure they've had "more". Not on here, and not with the people around me at the amex. At most I would put it on a par with Barnes.

Though I do agree there is something off about all the people who apparently hated him only needing this one performance to change their minds. While I disagree with Mr Burns' appraisal of Barnes, he always stressed it was judged over the course of lots of matches and every time Barnes put in a good to great performance people would bump his thread Mr B would reiterate he isn't judging on one performance.

I have had my doubts about whether or not Barnes based should start for us based on his performances last season, or even whether he deserved a place on the bench. For me, although he scored goals, he lacked the pace, vision, mobility and speed of thought to really cut it in the Championship. Based on today's performance, albeit only a friendly, I've now radically altered my view of him. Barnes was, I thought, superb today; and to me he looked much more of an all round player than last year. What particularly impressed me was the speed with which he passed the ball when he received it and his ability to pick out a team mate with a pin point pass. I don't recall such speed of thought and vision last season. And the way he took his goal was terrific. So a big, big well done to Ashley Barnes on a fine performance and here's to many more this season.

One chastened (and embarrassed) long term supporter.

Well you did bloody doubt him didn`t you, DIDN`T YOU! We tried to tell you, but would you listen? NO!! So don`t come on here with your tail between your legs looking for forgiveness. That poor boy played his heart out for this football club, ran himself into the ground, whilst you sat there on your grubby, tea-stained laptop, munching on your cream bloody custards tearing him apart with your nasty, evil rantings. Shame on you I say, SHAME!!!

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ok?

Your opinion is fine but other's is serious sanctimonious crap?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here