Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
i think they said his opportunities would have come earlier if he moved to Leeds. Maybe around the same time that Philips got his his call up?

On that logic, it was going to Leeds that actually slowed things down! Philips got his call up before he had played in the Premier League, so there's no reason why Ben wouldn't have had a similar call.....except maybe when he was at Leeds he wasn't good enough. So perhaps Ben would have had an earlier call up if he'd stayed at BHA (in the Premier League) rather than going on loan to Leeds....it's pretty certain that Potter would have played him ahead of Duffy, given the latter's inability to pass!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can only think Dunk isn't fast enough; Webster takes a bit of time to get up to speed but when he does there's not many better.

Reckon Dunk works best as part of a bonded partnership. Not much chance of forming such a thing at international level. Tends to be more stupid selection than club level. Remember BZ's first Cap? Played him out on the wing, with Defoe as main man in the centre.

Seems to me that national team selection is pretty much AKIN to Fantasy Football selection. As likely to go wrong as it is to go right :shrug:

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Mings - jeez. A left-foot but that's about it. well-trodden path now but I don't get it. I have to admit I am not sure what the story is with Henderson - has he recovered/played? Similarly Grealish, Maguire still out.. I am just wondering Southagte's rhetoric on injured players when he started.. I am sure it was players needed to be fit, playing and playing well?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
White looked very poor as a full back against Arsenal

That's a moot point given Southgate's provisional squad includes a whole host of RBs / RWBs including TAA, James, Trippier, Walker.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it’s age as well now. Sadly Dunky is no longer a young player.

Someone like Ben White, if goes well could be playing in many more international tournaments. Not saying it’s right or I agree.. but I’m starting to think that must be a consideration.

Age hasn't always been a consideration though, Dunky has warranted inclusion in England squads for a good few seasons now, but apart from that one token cap in a meaningless friendly versus the U. S. of A, he asn't even had a sniff.

In fact when Lewis was coming through, and was the same age that Ben White is now, there wasn't as much competition for places, but still he didn't get the call.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'd put Mings behind Dunk, Webster, White, Tarkowski, Mee and even Konza
Seriously rate Tarkowski and of course Dunk

Tarkowski is quality and I've been impressed by what I've seen of Godfrey. I don't quite see the excitement about Mings, never looks all that when I've seen him play.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's a moot point given Southgate's provisional squad is likely to include a whole host of RBs / RWBs including TAA, James, Trippier, Walker and Maitland-Niles

Talking of full backs, l wonder if Tariq would have received a call if he had been fit? He is scertainly at an age that Southgate likes.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Age hasn't always been a consideration though, Dunky has warranted inclusion in England squads for a good few seasons now, but apart from that one token cap in a meaningless friendly versus the U. S. of A, he asn't even had a sniff.

In fact when Lewis was coming through, and was the same age that Ben White is now, there wasn't as much competition for places, but still he didn't get the call.

Good point. it is a weird one and I’m scratching for a reason as I’m really gutted for him.

Coady, Mings over Dunky. Just doesn’t make any sense. You have to think Southgate saw something he really didn’t like when he last called Lewis up. Would be fascinating to know his thoughts, as he clearly has a definite reason.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'd put Mings behind Dunk, Webster, White, Tarkowski, Mee and even Konza
Seriously rate Tarkowski and of course Dunk

For Southgate, he probably needs to pick 4 from Stones, Maguire, Mings, Coady, Godfrey and White or 5 if he insists on playing an overly defensive back 3.

I’m so please that he has dumped Keane & Dier now, let’s give him credit for that.

Godfrey would be the first to go when the squad is culled by 7 next week as he just hasn’t got the all round game. With Maguire a bit injured still, Mings (as much as I disagree) has to be nailed on. Stones is loved by Gareth despite costing us two Semi-Finals so he gets a place.

So, it’s White vs Coady for a position. Coady is the better leader and defender but Whites forward surges could give him the edge.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Congratulations Ben White. A wonderful achievement.

I'll echo what others have said. Lewis Dunk is head and shoulders above Ben White at the moment and is very likely still to be international standard by the Qatar world cup and possibly the Euros after that.

Absolutely no justification at all in not selecting Lewis

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Unreal comment from Mills - Add it to Bamford's arrogant comment of the same thing before we beat them again. He said 'if he'd been at a team who score more goals higher up the table'? Erm Danny, he's a centre back and we've conceded 8 less than Leeds this season :facepalm: - Some pundits just feed the already over inflated egos of Leeds' fans.

Ex Leeds player with an over inflated ego. He wasn't a great player and he's an even worse broadcaster.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
For Southgate, he probably needs to pick 4 from Stones, Maguire, Mings, Coady, Godfrey and White or 5 if he insists on playing an overly defensive back 3.

I’m so please that he has dumped Keane & Dier now, let’s give him credit for that.

Godfrey would be the first to go when the squad is culled by 7 next week as he just hasn’t got the all round game. With Maguire a bit injured still, Mings (as much as I disagree) has to be nailed on. Stones is loved by Gareth despite costing us two Semi-Finals so he gets a place.

So, it’s White vs Coady for a position. Coady is the better leader and defender but Whites forward surges could give him the edge.

I'm staunch Albion and I think Coady is currently the better player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here