Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Another international player developed by Bielsa and Leeds. Well done to them.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just got in, what fantastic news for Ben and the club. Whatever happens it should be a great experience for him.

I imagine he's a long shot for the actual tournament squad but with his ability to play several positions - particularly defense and defensive midfield - maybe he will be seen as a replacement for Dier's old position.

I note there's no Bamford. Maybe if he played for a big club like Brighton he might have got a call up...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Three years ago Southgate did well in the works cup with a squad brimming with youth and potential. Future was bright. Three years later the squad selection is still about youth and the future. At some point he has to bite the bullet for the here and now?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The provisional squad is very short on experience. I believe only two are over 30 - Henderson and Walker- but, crucially, very few are over 27.

Harry Kane will be going into that tournament having played a load of football for Spurs, he's nursed some minor injuries throughout, he will be thinking about his next move after Spurs and he will be surrounded by youngsters, many of whom haven't even played 2 seasons of top flight football. That is a huge weight on his shoulders.

I had a look at the 2014 German squad that won the World Cup and was lauded for having so many young players in it. They had 3 over 30 in Klose, Lahm and back-up keep Weidenfeller but - crucially - a number of experienced players aged 28/29 - Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Mertesacker.

I probably would have included Dunk and Ings in my final squad.

In Southgate's defence, that kids that Hodgson took to the 2014 World Cup have really gone on to under-achieve - a real 'lost generation': Wilshere, Smalling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phil Jones, Barkley - those are the guys that would be c. 28-30 now providing that experience

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Absolutely, and White also learnt that one moment of indecision causes you massive problems against world class talent. I hope Dunk tells him to put Rashford in row Z if he tries to take the piss in training!!:)

Funnily enough, Rashford also made a mug out of White at the Amex earlier this season in the 2.3. I remember White saying that was a real learning experience for him.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
So; Ben White age 23
Rob Sanchez age 23
Jakob Moder age 22
Leo Trossard age 26
Possibly Swiss Andi at age 21.
Joel Veltman age 29.

That’s some potential. More than half a team there.

Outside of the Euros there’s AliMac, full Argentinian international at 22.
Moises Caicedo, full Ecuadorean international at 19 and Stephen Alzate, full Colombian international at 22.
Let’s not forget Aaron Connolly who is a full Irish International at just 21.

There's also AJ, full Iranian international. Maty Ryan is still officially ours, an Australian international. Shane Duffy (ditto) Republic of Ireland and Molumby too? Not sure if he is still part of the squad.
Michał Karbownik is part of the Polish team (although don't know if he's been selected for the Euros). Biss plays for Mali. Tau South Africa.

Izquierdo and Andone were both part of their respective national teams - don't think there's anyone else.

Not bad at all for a #TeamLikeBrighton to have so many internationals!

And WELL DONE to Ben White to be called up during his loan to Brighton from the mighty Leeds, through and through, held prisoner, etc...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
“Center backs tend to mature later”

“It’s less that we see White ahead of Dunk but he’s a younger player”

Huh?

[tweet]1397181890503774221[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Three years ago Southgate did well in the works cup with a squad brimming with youth and potential. Future was bright. Three years later the squad selection is still about youth and the future. At some point he has to bite the bullet for the here and now?

I don't like waistcoat man but that's unfair. Which proven experienced players that were in his squad 3 years ago that are now in the form of their lives has he left to pasture in favour of untested yoof? Aside from Dunk (albeit Dunk wasn't part of the tournament squad then either)? Are you thinking of Delph, Alli and....Wellbeck!? ??? :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's also Shane Duffy (ditto) Republic of Ireland and Molumby too? Not sure if he is still part of the squad.

Duffy, Connolly and Molumby were all included in the ROI squad announced yesterday (along with former Albion youngster Danny Mandroiu)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
“Center backs tend to mature later”

“It’s less that we see White ahead of Dunk but he’s a younger player”

Huh?

[tweet]1397181890503774221[/tweet]

There is logic in that. It means 'one is good, the other is also good but has more potential to get even better'.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't like waistcoat man but that's unfair. Which proven experienced players that were in his squad 3 years ago that are now in the form of their lives has he left to pasture in favour of untested yoof? Aside from Dunk (albeit Dunk wasn't part of the tournament squad then either)? Are you thinking of Delph, Alli and....Wellbeck!? ??? :shrug:

Its a 2 week tournament happening imminently . . . . players who have performed this past season and who are fit and firing should be in the squad, regardless of age. yoof needs the support of experience, England have always been mentally fragile in tournaments.

I'd pick White over Dunk, and Dunk/Webster over Maquire, and Mings. I think I'd have BDB over Mings!

why Bamford isn't there god knows.

Southgate is an FA puppet. But we knew that already

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’d be absolutely gobsmacked if Waistcost opts for an uncapped player who’s never featured in a full England squad ahead of a major international tournament.

Delighted but gobsmacked nonetheless. Just can’t see it happening.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Easy to see why White is in, given if he progresses as expected he'll likely be a mainstay for the squad. Good exposure to train with England even if he's unlikely to make the cut. Ditto Godfrey.

Coady and Mings on the other hand... can only assume they are in because Maguire is expected to be fit and they are good cheerleaders for the rest of the squad. Coady in particular is renowned for being an infectiously postive influence, while Mings is always very vocal as well. Seems pretty well known that Dunk on the other hand isn't the most outgoing and if he's not playing then he's not going to add much to the rest of the group. Likelihood is that Maguire and Stones play every minute unless there is a dead rubber.

As a footballer though, Dunk is streets ahead. Can see the argument for taking one of Coady or Mings on above basis but god forbid taking both if somebody gets injured. Coady is unproven outside of a back three and Mings is just average full stop.

Think Stones also gets found out when put under pressure. It's easy to look good in that City team.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Obviously a lot of water to go under the bridges on both sides but on June 13th we could see a Brighton player playing for the England football team and a Sussex player playing for the England cricket team on the same day (White and Robinson respectively). Surely that must be a first?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here