Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Obviously a lot of water to go under the bridges on both sides but on June 13th we could see a Brighton player playing for the England football team and a Sussex player playing for the England cricket team on the same day (White and Robinson respectively). Surely that must be a first?

Ben white is Leeds threw and through

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its a 2 week tournament happening imminently . . . . players who have performed this past season and who are fit and firing should be in the squad, regardless of age. yoof needs the support of experience, England have always been mentally fragile in tournaments.

I'd pick White over Dunk, and Dunk/Webster over Maquire, and Mings. I think I'd have BDB over Mings!

why Bamford isn't there god knows.

Southgate is an FA puppet. But we knew that already

I agree with your sentiment but if the only change you'd make is to bring in two Brighton players and Bamford then surely the 'manager' has selected appropriately?

I reserve judgement about the Brighton boys because I'm biased.

I can see why Bamford isn't in there. Unless he has the manic press of The Leeds behind him for 110% of the match he'd be bang average. England won't play in a way that would suit him.

I think there's a lot of confirmation bias at work here. Yes we can all agree that the manager is a Palace **** and a general no-mark, but it doesn't follow like night follows day that he's selected all the wrong players.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Its a 2 week tournament happening imminently . . . . players who have performed this past season and who are fit and firing should be in the squad, regardless of age. yoof needs the support of experience, England have always been mentally fragile in tournaments.

I'd pick White over Dunk, and Dunk/Webster over Maquire, and Mings. I think I'd have BDB over Mings!

why Bamford isn't there god knows.

Southgate is an FA puppet. But we knew that already

It is interesting the whole obsession with youth and England. Sure it does make sense to have an eye on the future and to give young players a chance, but there surely should be a degree of “who are the best players I can pick for my country NOW”.

In Italy for instance. at least for a while, they weren’t too fussed about picking older players.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Obviously a lot of water to go under the bridges on both sides but on June 13th we could see a Brighton player playing for the England football team and a Sussex player playing for the England cricket team on the same day (White and Robinson respectively). Surely that must be a first?

It would indeed be a first but it's extremely unlikely: Robbo could well be playing but there would need to be a few injuries for White to get a go

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I agree with your sentiment but if the only change you'd make is to bring in two Brighton players and Bamford then surely the 'manager' has selected appropriately?

I can see why Bamford isn't in there. Unless he has the manic press of The Leeds behind him for 110% of the match he'd be bang average. England won't play in a way that would suit him.

I think there's a lot of confirmation bias at work here. Yes we can all agree that the manager is a Palace **** and a general no-mark, but it doesn't follow like night follows day that he's selected all the wrong players.

Well I would take either Dunk or Webster over Ben White unless of course he wants him as DM, a position he has only played 3 or 4 times.
Southgate is a clown regardless and it has nothing to do with him being palace. One word Dier ............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS how much do we have to pay The Leeds?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

'My' England squad would be radically different . . . . and equally unsuccessful!!!

I only used those three as theyre top of the discussion.

I don't like Kane but enee fule kno to not have him as a goal scoring option would be madness.

as for our players . . . . we have a top half PL all English back 5 on a good day, with spares. Quite something.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
How Lewis does not get in over the very ordinary, overrated Mings and the nondescript Coady is unfathomable.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The provisional squad is very short on experience. I believe only two are over 30 - Henderson and Walker- but, crucially, very few are over 27.

Harry Kane will be going into that tournament having played a load of football for Spurs, he's nursed some minor injuries throughout, he will be thinking about his next move after Spurs and he will be surrounded by youngsters, many of whom haven't even played 2 seasons of top flight football. That is a huge weight on his shoulders.

I had a look at the 2014 German squad that won the World Cup and was lauded for having so many young players in it. They had 3 over 30 in Klose, Lahm and back-up keep Weidenfeller but - crucially - a number of experienced players aged 28/29 - Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Mertesacker.

I probably would have included Dunk and Ings in my final squad.

In Southgate's defence, that kids that Hodgson took to the 2014 World Cup have really gone on to under-achieve - a real 'lost generation': Wilshere, Smalling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phil Jones, Barkley - those are the guys that would be c. 28-30 now providing that experience

There are loads of players in the squad with fewer than 10 caps and I can't think of too many with more than 20: Kane, Maguire (if fit), Pickford, Stones, Lingard, Henderson (if fit), Walker, Trippier(?), Rashford. If Maguire and Henderson don't prove their fitness, that's a very inexperienced squad indeed, which I guess is why he's hedging his bets and giving them all the time he can to make the cut.

Like you say though, there aren't exactly many 'established' England players making a case for inclusion. Even though they are a good age, Dunk and Ings must have about 5 caps between them?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Genuinely, I think (the right footed) Adam Webster is better with his left foot, than the left-footed Tyrone Mings.

Webbo is our only properly two-footed player - there's a table somewhere showing this* and he has something like a 60:40 split, whereas almost everyone else is closer to 80:20 or even 90:10.

* I think from Albion Analytics

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Mings and Coady over Dunk is an absolute piss take.

White over Dunk is not correct either but I see Bens versatility is a huge factor in his selection and I am thrilled for him

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Mings and Coady over Dunk is an absolute piss take.

White over Dunk is not correct either but I see Bens versatility is a huge factor in his selection and I am thrilled for him

I'm struggling with the versatility thing myself, why would England need a Centre back who can play midfield when they have ample cover in midfield better than Ben White. Good luck to the lad and he has had a very good season with us but for that Palace prick to overlook Dunk as one of the best CENTRE HALVES inthe country beggars belief. Well done though Ben for catching the eye.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Surely it’s to give Ben some experience of being in the England squad and gives Southgate, etc a chance to get to know him. Can’t see him making the next cut unless there are injuries.

Sadly Dunk has been written off by England

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Moder

Edit: and Zeqiri

Zeqiri? Aye.... I see that, but whats the craic with him?

I thought he was binning off Switzerland in favour of Kosovo?saw pics of him holding up Kosovo shirt saying he'd chosen them (as he was joining).

Change of heart?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I thought he was binning off Switzerland in favour of Kosovo?saw pics of him holding up Kosovo shirt saying he'd chosen them (as he was joining).

Change of heart?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, seemed a strange decision at the time.
Maybe someone at the club had a word with him?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Webbo is our only properly two-footed player - there's a table somewhere showing this* and he has something like a 60:40 split, whereas almost everyone else is closer to 80:20 or even 90:10.

* I think from Albion Analytics

You see it visually also.

I saw him bend the ball both ways with his left peg (with plenty of power, pace & control) in the warm-up vs Sheff Utd (normally I’m guzzling beer in the WSU so hadn’t really concentrated on a warm-up before). I decided he was a natural left footer and it took some convincing that he wasn’t but I looked at his various ‘right footed’ profiles online & it seems that the right peg is he preferred foot.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Change of heart?

Looks like it's a recent decision based on the fact he got offered his first call up for the tournament.

From his Wikipedia page:

"Pledging Future with Switzerland

Euro 2020 call-up

Zeqiri pledged his international career to Switzerland after he was named in Switzerland's 29-man preliminary squad for Euro 2020 on 19 May 2021, this also being his first call-up for the Swiss senior side.[15][16]
The tournament which is taken place in the summer of 2021 due to the previous year's postponement as a result of Coronavirus.[17] "

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm struggling with the versatility thing myself, why would England need a Centre back who can play midfield when they have ample cover in midfield better than Ben White. Good luck to the lad and he has had a very good season with us but for that Palace prick to overlook Dunk as one of the best CENTRE HALVES inthe country beggars belief. Well done though Ben for catching the eye.

Maybe Brighton's Lewis Dunk and Leeds United's Ben White appear differently on Southgate's radar?! Who knew that Southgate was a biased, short-sighted, ill-informed t***.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here