Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If England get lucky enough to play Spain and Sanchez is in goal I will be very firmly hoping Sanchez has an absolute blinder. Chances are he won’t even have a save of note to make though.

I’m another who will really have to think about my loyalties if it comes down to England v Albion Player.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Maguire, Henderson and Phillips in then.. in form and fit apparently. The only way White was going to get in was if there was a crisis and utility players needed.. Walker can be classed as utility - has played back3 and full-back (wing-back). There is no need to have 4 right backs in the squad.. they may all offer slightly different things, but none of them are that far in front of the others to mean we need 4 of them.. TAA, Walker and one other would have been plenty. We look light in midfield, Henderson a risk with injury/form, Rice just back and Phillips just back..
10 defenders and 5 midfielders, 3 of which are defensive midfielders.. Ward-Prowse is unlucky.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really won't be bothered if England lose to a Brighton player.

At Stat Towers the biggest (only) cheer of the evening was when Moder scored against England. :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with all of this.

Coady isn’t as good as Dunk either.

Still hope our other (BHA) players do well..... and Southgate goes as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I rate Dunk and Coady. Both are great communicators and organisers too.

What's Mings got, that they haven't? Pace, but normally used to cover his own mistakes, Micah Richards was the same ..... NOT a firm basis for an international defender.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Unfortunately to be eligible for England you have too play for a "massive club". Dunk was never going to be eligible, I was hoping White still had a driving licence or something with a Leeds address on it.

Sam Johnstone – West Brom
Jordan Pickford – Everton

Conor Coady – Wolves
Tyrone Mings – Aston Villa

Jude Bellingham – Dortmund
Kalvin Phillips – Leeds Utd
Declan Rice – West Ham

Dominic Calvert-Lewin – Everton
Jack Grealish – Aston Villa
Jadon Sancho - Dortmund

Joking aside, a fair chunk of the squad is outside our so called big 6 clubs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So do I, especially with how light we are in central midfield. Shame as I'd rather 4-3-3 so we can get more of our quality attackers on the pitch rather than a back 3 and two wing backs.

Pickford

Shaw
Maguire
Stones
Walker

Rice
Hendersn
Mount

Foden
Kane
Sacho

would be my team if everyone was fit.

You're right imho to leave out Sterling, he's in awful form and it's affecting him psychologically.

But GS loves him, so he'll play.

I'd play Chilwell instead of Shaw.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Conor Coady – Wolves

Declan Rice – West Ham

Jadon Sancho - Dortmund

Most of the Top Six best players are foreign aren’t they?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Conor Coady – Wolves

Declan Rice – West Ham

Jadon Sancho - Dortmund

Villa are thought of as a big club. The bias isn't to strictly 'ESL' clubs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Madness going in to the tournament looks like 5 at the back with 1 of 3 centre backs possibly injured so will end up playing right backs at centre backs. Ming's and Maguire don't play in back 3 at club level but Ben White does, I am left very confused. Let hope the attacking players can carry the team.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk
Maguire and Henderson get to share the regular " Crocks " berth on this squad then , in years past there has always been just the one standout will he/won't he be fit enough selection. Nice to see Southgate share out the award....

They are in great company, we all remember Beckham's Metertarsal, Robson's shoulder and Owen's dodgy Hamstrings... " We would have won ( fill in year) if only we could have got ( fill in as appropriate) fit...."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Gareth Southgate... a weak man. Bunch of players that, based on their season, got no business playing in the national team currently, while leaving out plenty of highly competent in-form players. Going to be punished.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That squad will be all the more puzzling if Southgate starts with 3 at the back.

For me we should be playing 4-2-3-1. I would have started with Dunk alongside Maguire and - if he wasn't fit - Tarkowski alongside him. Either way, I'd have James and Chilwell alongside Gareth's 2 shit CBs, then Rice and Henderson holding, Grealish on the left, Foden on the right and Mount in the middle with Kane up top.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is there any chance of us playing France at any point? I'm sure Mbappe and Griezmann against Phillips and Coady is a dual to whet the lips of any neutral fan.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Conor Coady – Wolves

Declan Rice – West Ham

Jadon Sancho - Dortmund

With maybe the exception of West Brom the media see all of those as "massive clubs" because of what they achieved 50 odd years ago.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Would’ve been amazing to see Ben White at a tournament, but on the bright side, he gets a well earned rest over the summer.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You're right imho to leave out Sterling, he's in awful form and it's affecting him psychologically.

But GS loves him, so he'll play.

I'd play Chilwell instead of Shaw.

My thinking is our defense is the weakest part of the team so it seemed sensible to give them as much help as possible - Shaw and Maguire play week in and week out at united and likewise Stones and Walker at man city and Stones and Mauire have played plenty of times together for England so at least they won't have to worry about building partnerships.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here