Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Second least GA since Christmas (6th least over the course of the season) with the 6th best CS. All three centrebacks are English but not one of them makes the squad… go figure :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not "England negative" far from it. I will love the Euros and absolutely get behind the effort. But for now, from a subjective, opinion-based footy discussion, I am critical of Southgate and his approach to his squad selection in the context of the most realistic chance of doing well, (Home advantage for some games) since 1996.. The thoughts of Tyrone Mings being integral to that is vexing to me.. relying on players who have had bad injuries, not been fit enough to play in their Club's biggest games over the last week or so is also vexing!
I hope it pays off, I really do, and it might because in Mount, Foden and yes, Grealish, we have young players who are exceptional at creating moments in games and not burdened by previous tournament heartache.. but Grealish also fits the bill of "not 100% up to speed".

Agreed with you. But Mings is part of a 26 man squad and will probabaly get nowhere near the starting 11. No point people already looking for rope to hang the team and manager by - it’s so English media and we shouldn’t buy into it. I listened to Talkshite for 5 mins earlier after the squad was announced and turned off very swiftly when they were bumbling on about 4 right backs. It’s like the overly negative posters must all listen to that shite - basically nit picking radio to moan moan moan - utter tosh!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But… surely Southgate should be using these friendlies for.. players going to the tournament?

Bit hard when half of them can’t play!

Learn the facts before posting Mr V!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As they'll be no Brighton player in the England team, I reckon I'm :-

England, unless against an Albion player, unless it's the final even if that's against an Albion player.

The nightmare scenario would be a semi final against an Albion player.

Thankfully there's no Albion player in the Scotchland squad as that would cause a further anomaly.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hmm.. am I missing something.

What’s the bloody point?

Presumably because the 12 that are coming back from the champions league/Europa league aren't ready to play.

Plus we know that Southgate likes to keep players involved. I think he made sure that every player bar the third choice keeper made an appearance at the last world cup.

Plus it'll be great for Ben White (and Godfrey) to make his England debut.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good idea. Head it up with the tag “no negativity on this thread please” and here’s one poster who’ll respect it.......and possibly not post on it all :shrug:

I’ll just unfortunately have to call it ‘England fans’ which is very sad but it seems it is needed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Presumably because the 12 that are coming back from the champions league/Europa league aren't ready to play.

Plus we know that Southgate likes to keep players involved. I think he made sure that every player bar the third choice keeper made an appearance at the last world cup.

Plus it'll be great for Ben White (and Godfrey) to make his England debut.

Bens inclusion was always a nod to the future and hopefully a 1st cap in one of these games. Also, on standby right up until our first game in case of injury etc. It would be silly to take Ben to a tournament straight away, so I’d the right decision I think. Dunk on the other hand should be going and close to starting of course.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
But… surely Southgate should be using these friendlies for.. players going to the tournament?

This is the latest thing to vex me.. surely a chance to get some fitness into those players who haven't played much recently, or just back from injury. (To be fair, this may yet be the case!) Why look to build that "Club environment" with players who will not be in that Club? If they have benefitted from the experience, then that is job done as you see it.. Playing Lingard is completely pointless and risky!! What if he bangs in a hat-trick? What pressure do you create for yourself as a coach then?
Offering a game to a player who has just been told he is not good enough for this squad, is confusing unless it is making people feel better, and the hard bit on that front has already been done?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Exactly! Gotta feel for the lad - probably had his holiday plans scuppered and then gets himself and his family all proud and excited only to be crushed a week later without even getting a chance in a game to prove himself

I have to agree you know.

Southgate has some flaws, but I thought he was quite good with the man management aspect. As a young player, whilst obviously delighted to be called up. I’d be massively frustrated to only be there a few days, then told you’re not making the cut. “Oh, but you can play in this friendly before we go to the Euros”.

And now I’m hearing Lingard is playing in this friendly as well. I’m sure there’s more to it than that. But from the outside this all just looks a bizarre PR exercise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's the key point.

I don't think any of our defense are that good so if we can give them any help we should. Shaw's had a decent season. I agree in that I think Chilwell is better but I don't think he's so much better that it overrides the understanding that Maguire and Shaw will have developed over the past couple of years.

I simply think Chilwell is better and in the form of his life.

In Manure's poor end to the season, Shaw's defending was cruelly exposed eg Liverpool scoring 4 at OT.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
To those concerned at the lack of support - I'm not "England negative" far from it. I will love the Euros and absolutely get behind the effort. But for now, from a subjective, opinion-based footy discussion, I am critical of Southgate and his approach to his squad selection in the context of the most realistic chance of doing well, (Home advantage for some games) since 1996.. The thoughts of Tyrone Mings being integral to that is vexing to me.. relying on players who have had bad injuries, not been fit enough to play in their Club's biggest games over the last week or so is also vexing!
I hope it pays off, I really do, and it might because in Mount, Foden and yes, Grealish, we have young players who are exceptional at creating moments in games and not burdened by previous tournament heartache.. but Grealish also fits the bill of "not 100% up to speed".

Thought we had learned the lessons of taking sick notes who have been out ahead of the tournament and expecting them to suddenly recreate pre injury form but nope here we go again. Also struggling to understand why we are using the players who have not made the cut in the friendlies as surely the purpose of these is to fine tune your starting side ahead of the tournament.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Yes Southgate should, but his hands are somewhat tied. The Chelsea and Man City players aren't joining the squad until after the Austria friendly and it's unlikely the Man Utd players will be involved in the first warm up match either. That's 11 players missing from the first friendly leaving a squad of 15 including 2 goalkeepers. They obviously need to have the 6 who missed out available for the friendly.

From Ben's point of view if he gets on the pitch its a good chance to show what he can do at international level and show Southgate he was wrong to leave him out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bens inclusion was always a nod to the future and hopefully a 1st cap in one of these games. Also, on standby right up until our first game in case of injury etc. It would be silly to take Ben to a tournament straight away, so I’d the right decision I think. Dunk on the other hand should be going and close to starting of course.

Such as shame that.

Imho he won't get a second cap.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Bit hard when half of them can’t play!

Learn the facts before posting Mr V!

Half of the squad can’t play? Well that still leaves enough players to line up.

I’m sorry but I really don’t get leaving players out of a squad. But then having them play a friendly. Odd.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Yeah, it's a real head scratcher what Southgate has against Dunk. Especially in light of his love of Mings, whose only quality appears to be he plays on the left side of central defense.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To paraphrase Mark from Peep Show; Four rightbacks, Gareth! FOUR? That’s insane!

So in the words of Ant and Dec's 'On The Ball':

It's Reece James to Walker
Walker to Trippier
Trippier to Trenty
Alexander-Arnold
Arnold to Mingsy
Played square to Stonesy
Stonesy to Pickford.
Oh f**k, own goal!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes Southgate should, but his hands are somewhat tied. The Chelsea and Man City players aren't joining the squad until after the Austria friendly and it's unlikely the Man Utd players will be involved in the first warm up match either. That's 11 players missing from the first friendly leaving a squad of 15 including 2 goalkeepers. They obviously need to have the 6 who missed out available for the friendly.

From Ben's point of view if he gets on the pitch its a good chance to show what he can do at international level and show Southgate he was wrong to leave him out.

Ok that’s a better explanation at least [emoji106]

Well I wish Ben, and the others who didn’t make the cut good luck and that it doesn’t effect their performances too much in the upcoming games.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is the latest thing to vex me.. surely a chance to get some fitness into those players who haven't played much recently, or just back from injury. (To be fair, this may yet be the case!) Why look to build that "Club environment" with players who will not be in that Club? If they have benefitted from the experience, then that is job done as you see it.. Playing Lingard is completely pointless and risky!! What if he bangs in a hat-trick? What pressure do you create for yourself as a coach then?
Offering a game to a player who has just been told he is not good enough for this squad, is confusing unless it is making people feel better, and the hard bit on that front has already been done?

Completely agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here